The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-30-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Why Mark Hanson's Fingerstyle book ?

Following several folks advise (Mapletrees for one) on here I ordered Mark Hanson's "The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking." It came today . . . I have not started it yet but did look through it.

Being a beginner . . . I have a question . . What makes this book or way of learning fingerstyle better than others? I have Mel Bays Matering the Guitar 1A and it has a Fingerstyle section. I also have Hal Leonards Guitar Method 1, 2 & 3 and it has Fingerstyle secitons.

Why do so many people recommend Hanson's Method over the others ???

-wayne
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

1) Laid out much better. Introduces you to basic fingerstyle patterns, and after each pattern gives you a song that uses it so you can get used to it.

2) Stepwise increase in difficulty. You gradually move up to more difficult patterns/songs throughout the book.

3) Lots of good tunes you will continue to play even years later

4) Well written, tabbed out perfectly, shows chord form and left and right hand fingerings-no guessing.

5) Leads into the next book in the series, "the Art of Fingerstyle Guitar" (I believe it is called), that really gets you into fingerstyle playing away from the boom/chick alternating bass style.

Mel Bay, Acoustic Guitar Magazine's books, Hal Leonard, I've checked them all out. Hansons simple 2 book series is the best. I even recommend it tofolks who have been playing the guitar for years. Something there for everygbody.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-30-2004, 10:42 PM

He also shows the most efficent fingerings for each chord so that you can transisition better into the next chord. His tab shows thumb strokes vs finger strokes (not always alternating, sometimes there's two thumb strokes then the finger strokes. Thumb strokes are bold in tab, finger strokes are not). He also provides notes and/or helpful hints for the more difficult or tricky passages.

I dont have the Travis Picking book, but I have Beyond Basics Fingerstyle and the Art of Solo Fingerstyle. I assume the above comments also apply to the Travis Picking book.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:40 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

As you get more into guitar you will notice that there are a lot of subtleties to fingering/plucking/chord transition that can make or break your ability to play a piece of music. I've found that those instructors who really take the time to break down what they are doing and how to do it have furthered my playing the most. Hanson falls into that category.
The more I take the time to REALLY EXAMINE what a measure of music is doing, different voice lines, rhythm subtelties, fingerings, the more I understand what is going on and how to play it.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-31-2004, 12:47 AM

What Jeff Said. I'm not a natural musician by any means (I'm a left-brain person), but I've found that The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking has taught me patterns and rhythms that I've not been able to master through other teaching methods. And I've found it to be fun.

Years ago I studied classical guitar, then stopped for about 20 years. When I returned to the guitar (this time, the standard steel-stringed accoustic rather than the nylon-stringed classical guitar), Mark Hanson's books helped me regain the flexibility and discipline in my right hand that I'd thought I'd never regain.

Of course, this is just one mediochre guitar player's opinion.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-- Herbert Spencer
Old 07-31-2004, 08:43 AM

Thanks all . . . -wayne
Old 07-31-2004, 10:25 AM

May I add?
If you have some money left, try to get his VHS/DVD instructional. very well thought put in his work, will be well money spent. May not be the best but worth every hard earned penny.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:25 PM

I'd also recommend the Paul Simon book by Hanson. The tunes are spot-on and go from easy to more complex. Where was this stuff when I was struggling as a kid? We wore out vinyl LPs playing them as 16 speed to figure out how to fingerpick. But we did it.

Hanson does it right from what all Ive seen. Stick with him if fingerpicking is your goal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell