The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM

Default First upload here. Be kind.

Finally figured out how to load video here.
Hope you enjoy it!
https://youtu.be/kM1jyXjZ7d4

Last edited by JLed79; 03-06-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Jeff, really nice singing and playing here! Beautiful guitar as well. I知 certainly no expert on recording guitar and voice together, but I think it might have helped to have your mic positioned a little lower - it was difficult to hear your fine guitar work. But I知 glad you posted - I enjoyed the song!
Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hey Jeff, really nice singing and playing here! Beautiful guitar as well. I知 certainly no expert on recording guitar and voice together, but I think it might have helped to have your mic positioned a little lower - it was difficult to hear your fine guitar work. But I知 glad you posted - I enjoyed the song!

I agree. I don稚 know, it痴 weird. On listening to playback the levels sounded good in my headphones. When I uploaded through YouTube it seemed to quiet everything way down. Next time I値l definitely turn the gain on my recording mic up.
Thanks for thanks kind words though!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Nice job Jeff, especially for a first video! Well done. You sounded good, and you have a good singing voice!

I do agree that the guitar level could probably be turned up a notch or two, but there is a lot to making videos. There is a lot to learn and every new one gets better. From my experience, it's a constant learning experience, so don't be too hard on yourself.

In my own videos on my YouTube channel, I have found that it's best to bring up the guitar level higher than my first instincts might suggest. The vocal always needs to be at a level above the guitar so the listener can make out all the lyrics, but obtaining an optimal guitar level is a very fine line. I generally listen through headphones for reference, but I also have near field monitor speakers and I generally find the using the monitor speakers is a more reliable way to do a mixdown, at least for me. I, too, have found that when using headphones, I tend not to bring up the guitar level enough.

I had hip joint replacement surgery 13 days ago on today's date, and so I need to keep my right leg elevated to deal with swelling. (I am recovering very well.) As a result I am sort of couch bound. So, yesterday I had time to watch all my YouTube videos, from the latest all the way back to the first, all 82 of them, which took several hours. I was surprised and rather humbled to see how much I have learned in the last year and a half or so.

- Glenn
Old 03-15-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Nice job Jeff, especially for a first video! Well done. You sounded good, and you have a good singing voice!

I do agree that the guitar level could probably be turned up a notch or two, but there is a lot to making videos. There is a lot to learn and every new one gets better. From my experience, it's a constant learning experience, so don't be too hard on yourself.

In my own videos on my YouTube channel, I have found that it's best to bring up the guitar level higher than my first instincts might suggest. The vocal always needs to be at a level above the guitar so the listener can make out all the lyrics, but obtaining an optimal guitar level is a very fine line. I generally listen through headphones for reference, but I also have near field monitor speakers and I generally find the using the monitor speakers is a more reliable way to do a mixdown, at least for me. I, too, have found that when using headphones, I tend not to bring up the guitar level enough.

I had hip joint replacement surgery 13 days ago on today's date, and so I need to keep my right leg elevated to deal with swelling. (I am recovering very well.) As a result I am sort of couch bound. So, yesterday I had time to watch all my YouTube videos, from the latest all the way back to the first, all 82 of them, which took several hours. I was surprised and rather humbled to see how much I have learned in the last year and a half or so.

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn!
Glad to hear your mending well!
I really appreciate the compliment and advice. I知 really quite blown away by how different the uploaded video sounds compared to the original video. I値l definitely be tweaking that moving forward. I really appreciate your suggestions on turning the guitar up beyond what I would consider optimal for a blend.
I知 hosting another Open Mic in saturday with my newly formed band. We will be doing this tune along with others. If I get some decent video of it I値l upload it.
I really enjoy your channel too. You have some beautiful guitars that are only complimented by your playing.
Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell