The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-24-2020, 06:55 PM

Default My latest experiment in my quest to get a decent looking and sounding guitar & vocals

This link leads to my post on the “Show and Tell” page of this forum. Another experiment in my quest to get a decent video of myself playing and singing.

On this one, I shot at 4K with just the regular bedroom light and my little Sony ZV-1 “bloggers camera”.

Since It was 4K, I could zoom in on the guitar during the instrumental section and keyframe to follow the movement.

The guitar sound is picked up by a Schertler AG6/S-mic with the mic turned all the way up and amplified by a Yamaha THR 30ii amp in flat mode. No reverb is added.

The mic for both and vocals is an Audio Technical AT8022. It is oriented so that on capsule points towards my mouth and the other is aimed at the Yamaha acoustic amp just out of frame.

I’m standing because when I sit I always hear the sound of the guitar squeaking on my lap when I move being picked up by the mic.

The reason I went this rout is for simplicity: No mixer. No multiple mic stands. I can adjust the mix of guitar and voice by turning the acoustic amp up or down. The Yamaha amp is battery powered and I’m using the built in wireless. I can easily move this whole setup to wherever I might want to record.

Once I have a solid method together, I plan on recording a bunch of videos like this.

I’d love to know what you guys think:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=593541

Last edited by lkingston; 09-24-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:01 PM

Ok, here is another recording experiment, and I think this one is the best yet. The guitar is direct from the Schertler pickup with the mic turned all the way up. It was pretty noisy so I cleaned it up with NR from SoundForge 14. The mic is a Shure SM7B with a FetHead to boost the signal to noise.

I used a Zoom H6 as a mixer then recorded direct to the ZV-1 camera with the guitar and vocal panned hard right and left.

I edited the video on Luma Fusion and added a little compression and reverb with the Ferrite Pro app and some plugins.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=593616

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD