The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How many NICE guitars do we need?
1 26 14.69%
2 21 11.86%
3 40 22.60%
4 13 7.34%
5 18 10.17%
6-10 21 11.86%
11-20 10 5.65%
21-50 2 1.13%
51 + 8 4.52%
Just wanna look at the result 18 10.17%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Need = 0
Want = many
Perfectly put, my friend.
I voted the closest humber 1, because 0 was not a choice.

FWIW, I own 9 or 10 ... I can't count that high.
That's 9 or 10 more than I need - but I'm happy.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
How many do we need, or how many do we WANT?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
If N=number of nice guitars we currently own then the answer will always be N+1...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Need = 0
Want = many
+1 here. Even earlier this year, I never understood why one needed more than 1 guitar. Coming from a piano background, that's kind of ingrained in me - you pick your perfect Beckstein or Steinway or Bosie, and you live with it. With guitars, it's just so addicting because each instrument can be so different and worlds apart - and you CAN have multiple of them, even in NYC!

Initially, my strategy was to try to go for different sizes and tonewood combos. Collings SJ Koa came in first. Talking about a 13-fret L-00 and OM with a luthier (BRW & The Tree hog). A 12 fret 000 (BRW). Maybe a parlor in walnut or maple, and call it a day with 5 in your stable.

Then maybe go for a pre-war Martin one day because you want to go through that curve. And though I have a Collings SJ, can I maybe stre-e-e-tch for a Olson SJ? Wait, I don't have a dreadnought!

Ad infinitum
Old 06-14-2020, 09:04 AM

Default How many guitars

Nobody needs a guitar, but everybody wants lots of guitars. I promised my wife 1.....that was last year. Have 2 electrics of which my custom 24 PRS is magic, 2 steel string acoustics, one a Taylor Academy 12e that I love to play, and a nylon string acoustic thats a charm.....but now I want a 12 string....
Old 06-14-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I'm just glad that I don't have an equal passion for boats....

whm
Yeah, cycling has the big problem that all bikes depreciate to nearly no value in a very short period of time. Guitars tend to hold their value. I have all the ones listed in my signature as well as some electrics. It’s definitely more than I need.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
About the same as the number of high end bikes.
I’m so glad we don’t know each other IRL. The last thing I need is an enabler for both guitars and bikes.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 06-14-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Or as many as we have room to store the cases.
If you eliminate the need for cases, then there's room for lots more geetars.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:14 AM

This type of thread seem to come up every other month and the answers are always the same.

I do give the poster credit for adding "NICE".

So maybe the answer is

1 Nice guitar
2 Mediocre guitars
3 One beater guitar.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
If you eliminate the need for cases, then there's room for lots more geetars.
Yes, this is true. which is great, unless you ever want to take one out of the house. Then I guess that you could always wrap one in a blanket...
Old 06-14-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
This type of thread seem to come up every other month and the answers are always the same.
And like clockwork someone points out that you don't "need" a guitar to stay alive. Food/water/shelter from the storm is all that you really "need" if that is your definition.

Yet to undertake many activities, you often "need" an item or two. You could walk about "needing" nothing to do so. But you might do a better job of it with shoes. You can walk about naked. But you can do so in more inclement weather with some sort of portable shelter carried on your body. Let's call them "clothes."

You certainly can catch a fish with your bare hands. But you might do so more efficiently with a spear. Or a fish tickle and bait. You can pick berries with your bare hands. But you can take more than your bellyful if you have a "container."

One can certainly make music with just your voice and bare hands beating time on you body. But to make music in any other way requires use of some item. A hollow log to beat rhythms on. A reed to blow through. Or, lets say, a collection of bits of wood and metal. Lets call it a "guitar."

To play guitar I need one guitar. Period. Anything more is gravy...
Old 06-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

One. Let's assume we are not talking sustenance of life here. It doesn't need to be a Martin Authentic either, though I would not discourage that. If you had a D 18, that would qualify. Could easily be a J 45, 000 18 or 28.

Once you have established that one guitar that fits your style, the next level of demarcation is three. If you have a D 18, find an OM 28, then a J 45. Then you'd be set forever.

But if the right deal came along on a 12 string or a parlor, I'd grant you an exception. Also an exception for that Authentic, SCGC, or Huss and Daulton that might vault your playing into the next demention.

So, one. Just one.

Unless you start getting gigs. Then you need an old Guild D 25 or 35. Something you won't worry about too much.

So one. Two at the most. Unless you buy an ocean going sailboat, move to the Yukon Territories or the desert, then a carbon fiber guitar is essential.

The only exception would be family. Having four kids, you'd want to have a guitar to leave each one. Be fair.

So one, or at the most four.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-14-2020, 03:57 PM

I play fingerstyle on nylons (two, say Mahogany and Rosewood) as well as folks (mainly Mahogany) with a few of them kept in alternate tunings and some devoted to slide, adding a tricone and a banjitar. So, I need at least ten...
Old 06-14-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
And like clockwork someone points out that you don't "need" a guitar to stay alive. Food/water/shelter from the storm is all that you really "need" if that is your definition.

Yet to undertake many activities, you often "need" an item or two. You could walk about "needing" nothing to do so. But you might do a better job of it with shoes. You can walk about naked. But you can do so in more inclement weather with some sort of portable shelter carried on your body. Let's call them "clothes."

You certainly can catch a fish with your bare hands. But you might do so more efficiently with a spear. Or a fish tickle and bait. You can pick berries with your bare hands. But you can take more than your bellyful if you have a "container."

One can certainly make music with just your voice and bare hands beating time on you body. But to make music in any other way requires use of some item. A hollow log to beat rhythms on. A reed to blow through. Or, lets say, a collection of bits of wood and metal. Lets call it a "guitar."

To play guitar I need one guitar. Period. Anything more is gravy...
But he asked how many NICE guitars do you need. Not how many guitars in general. Maybe the answer is you don't need any nice ones, just one that does the job.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:23 PM

If I was looking at this from a strictly NEED perspective the answer is only 1. If I was gonna limit myself to a single guitar forever it would be a medium sized guitar of some sort with a cutout, and the guitar would be of a very high quality.

If it is WANT we are talking about, I still stay practical at approximately 4. This allows me to get a single carbon fiber guitar for versatility, and then a good mix of high quality wood guitars of varying sizes, woods, and features.

Anything beyond 1 of these 2 scenarios is not manageable for me and would be excessive (for me).
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 06-14-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
But he asked how many NICE guitars do you need. Not how many guitars in general. Maybe the answer is you don't need any nice ones, just one that does the job.
Go reread my post. I wasn't addressing the OP.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:47 PM

You only need one guitar as all the rest are distractions to practice/playing. We need to change the acronym GAS, to Guitar Application Studies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar