The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2019, 07:38 AM

As the definitive statement about how good Cuki79's IRs are for me, after one gig I sent ToneDexter back because there were issues I could not figure out and I was too lazy to start over.

And after one gig with Cuki79's IR, I removed the IR bypass from my HX Stomp's footswitches. It is on all the time!

But to be fully truthful, ToneDexter is a beyond amazing product for being a first rate preamp pedal and most importantly being able to generate IRs. And all at a VERY REASONABLE PRICE!

Cuki79 is also amazing for his understanding of the issues, ability to push IR generation through open source software, clear communication, and the unreasonably large amount of support he gave me not only to generate the IRs, but on how to use them effectively. I think it is the usage support that made it work for me.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-14-2019, 01:20 PM

I did play a gig with the TD and the HX Stomp running through the TD effects loop. That worked fine. I used a Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable power block for the TD and the XT1000 to power the HSX Stomp. Neat and concise pedalboard and it fit on my smaller board.

The guitar was a Taylor 814 cocobolo with K&K pickup.
the TD cleaned up the K&K and the Stomp gave me tons of options.
Fun stuff!
davidc
Old 09-14-2019, 02:42 PM

For the HX Stomp users:
I just made a preset with the IR in the parallel path. This way I can add an EQ in the direct path as well as in the IR path with different settings. The IR has a mix of 100% and is controlled with the level slider.

That works quite good. Its possible to eq out the resonating frequencies of the IR that are causing feedback and the hollow sound.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
For the HX Stomp users:
I just made a preset with the IR in the parallel path. This way I can add an EQ in the direct path as well as in the IR path with different settings. The IR has a mix of 100% and is controlled with the level slider.

That works quite good. Its possible to eq out the resonating frequencies of the IR that are causing feedback and the hollow sound.
Interesting.. so the ir and EQ (Which eq)
Are in the lower path b.? What's in path A?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 AM

I went to guitar center yesterday to try a Strat into a Deluxe Reverb to calibrate my ear for my HX Stomp patch (Strat -> '63 verb -> mic'ed Deluxe Reverb). Not having them side by side makes this no way to make a definitive statement about the HX Stomp's goodness.

BUT, gee, a Deluxe Reverb looks so much bigger to me than it used to (and it was heavy too!!!).

An HX Stomp into a QSC CP8 is so practical (light and compact) and about the same price.

Jon Fields
Old 09-15-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Interesting.. so the ir and EQ (Which eq)
Are in the lower path b.? What's in path A?
Jon,

input with gate and impedance at 1M

- Deluxe compressor 2:1; shortest attac and release and theshold so that compression ist really subtle

<split>
path A (UST pickup):
- parametric EQ

path B (IR):
- IR mix: 100%
- level to taste
- parametric EQ

<mix>

- another parametric EQ

- plate reverb low and highpassed, mixed so that you hear it just when you mute ringing strings

Now you can start playing. The level sliders in both parametric EQs are your mix controllers. You can either bring up frequencies you like in on path and reduce those frequencies in the other or just use your ears and play around.

I made one preset (that i like most now) where I cut all the lows in the IR path at 640 Hz. That removes all the feedback frequencies that sound hollow and phase at higher volumes.
The piezo path has a high cut at 1 kHz (lower is not possible) and a 2dB boost at 140 Hz.

More or less I get the lows from the feedback resistant piezo and the highs from the IR without any piezo quack.

I know, 3 EQs seem to be a lot but 2 of them have spacial purposes and one is to shape the sound. mainly because of the hipass limit.
I wish there was a lower highcut frequency, because I want to split both paths at 400 Hz.

Hope that helps
Peter
Old 09-15-2019, 02:18 PM

I am using a single path with IR->para EQ now (also plate reverb, a compressor for solo boost, etc.). I put the low and mid notch on top of the two peaks in the IR spectrum (-6dB @ 130 Hz & -3dB @ 236 Hz for my Parlor), set the Q to 5 for both (did not seem to change the sound too much so I chose 50% of the peak 10 you could program), upped the IR to 40% and WOW! Much better than less IR and a 200 Hz low cut.

All of this was at Cuki79's coaching. He must hate me by now as I've been quite the pest.

Jon Fields
Old 09-15-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
As the definitive statement about how good Cuki79's IRs are for me, after one gig I sent ToneDexter back because there were issues I could not figure out and I was too lazy to start over.

And after one gig with Cuki79's IR, I removed the IR bypass from my HX Stomp's footswitches. It is on all the time!

But to be fully truthful, ToneDexter is a beyond amazing product for being a first rate preamp pedal and most importantly being able to generate IRs. And all at a VERY REASONABLE PRICE!

Cuki79 is also amazing for his understanding of the issues, ability to push IR generation through open source software, clear communication, and the unreasonably large amount of support he gave me not only to generate the IRs, but on how to use them effectively. I think it is the usage support that made it work for me.
I'm with you, Jon, Cuki Rocks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-16-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I am using a single path with IR->para EQ now (also plate reverb, a compressor for solo boost, etc.). I put the low and mid notch on top of the two peaks in the IR spectrum (-6dB @ 130 Hz & -3dB @ 236 Hz for my Parlor), set the Q to 5 for both (did not seem to change the sound too much so I chose 50% of the peak 10 you could program), upped the IR to 40% and WOW! Much better than less IR and a 200 Hz low cut.

All of this was at Cuki79's coaching. He must hate me by now as I've been quite the pest.
Good idea to analyze the IR spetrum. Will do this when I find the time. I will do it also with the direct piezo signal.
I want to EQ the IR before rendering in Cubase so I will save EQ power and blocks in the HX stomp.

Thanks for sharing, Jon ..... and long live Cuki!!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Good idea to analyze the IR spetrum. Will do this when I find the time. I will do it also with the direct piezo signal.
I want to EQ the IR before rendering in Cubase so I will save EQ power and blocks in the HX stomp.

Thanks for sharing, Jon ..... and long live Cuki!!!!
Here is what Cuki79 sent me for the IR I've been tweaking. Attenuating the two low frequency peaks sounds dramatically better than a low cut.

Jon Fields
Old 09-16-2019, 05:16 AM

For sure leveling out the peaks will improve the sound a lot. I hope my analyzers will work on the short IR file. Never tried but will do! THanks to you and Cuki once more!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:21 AM

Hi Peter,

you can send your IR file (pm + google-drive/dropbox link), I will compute the spectrum for you.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-16-2019, 05:44 AM

Thank you very much for this nice offer. I will do so - hopefully tonight.
Do you think the Cubase spectrum analyzer can do this too?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Jon,

input with gate and impedance at 1M

- Deluxe compressor 2:1; shortest attac and release and theshold so that compression ist really subtle

<split>
path A (UST pickup):
- parametric EQ

path B (IR):
- IR mix: 100%
- level to taste
- parametric EQ

<mix>

- another parametric EQ

- plate reverb low and highpassed, mixed so that you hear it just when you mute ringing strings

Now you can start playing. The level sliders in both parametric EQs are your mix controllers. You can either bring up frequencies you like in on path and reduce those frequencies in the other or just use your ears and play around.

I made one preset (that i like most now) where I cut all the lows in the IR path at 640 Hz. That removes all the feedback frequencies that sound hollow and phase at higher volumes.
The piezo path has a high cut at 1 kHz (lower is not possible) and a 2dB boost at 140 Hz.

More or less I get the lows from the feedback resistant piezo and the highs from the IR without any piezo quack.

I know, 3 EQs seem to be a lot but 2 of them have spacial purposes and one is to shape the sound. mainly because of the hipass limit.
I wish there was a lower highcut frequency, because I want to split both paths at 400 Hz.

Hope that helps
Peter
Thanks I'll try this although I hate to give up
Delay.
I guess if I had 10 blocks I'd use them all too ..ha
Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for this nice offer. I will do so - hopefully tonight.
Do you think the Cubase spectrum analyzer can do this too?
No idea... the only thing I tried is audacity's spectrum analyser and I tend to prefer MATLAB... At least I know what it does.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification