The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
My check is in the mail. If I can do anything to help just let me know.
Thanks for the offer Jeff. Just really happy you can make it. If anything comes up I will let you know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Yowzah--these all look wonderful, Joel! That last Coco Solis looks amazing!

Really looking forward to meeting you and taking these for a test drive!
Yes, me too! I can't believe how great these look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Me too! Can't wait for the audition.
Looking so forward to meeting up again Dennis. Keeping my figures crossed that Jason can pull out a miracle, but of course don't want him to rush anything either!
Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Smile This is going to be F.U.N.

Big Fun!!!

Joel, your guitars look really really nice! Bevels and Ports really enhance the player's experience immensely. Kudos for offering them, especially at no upcharge!

I will indeed be bringing my latest John Kinnaird Custom Round Peak. And I will be glad to let anyone relatively sober, with clean hands and no belt buckle play her for a while!

I am sorry John K can not come due to family stuff but plan to do my best to show folks what stunning stuff he is building lately.

All aboard!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Two Hands guitars

HI. While visiting with Steve Sheriff at their shop a couple of months back, I had the opportunity to play one of Joel's guitars. I can tell you they are outstanding. I'm pretty picky about nut widths and string spacing (I prefer 1&7/8" nuts and 2&3/8's at the bridge) and while I don't know what Joel's spacing was, I can tell you it was VERY easy to play and sounded great. The workmanship was also top notch. Congratulations on your journey to luthiership, Joel.

Jim Gager
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Tom, Do you think it would be possible (if you think it is a good idea) to start a new thread where the attending luthiers could tell what guitars they are bringing for sale with pictures and prices if possible?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Tom, Do you think it would be possible (if you think it is a good idea) to start a new thread where the attending luthiers could tell what guitars they are bringing for sale with pictures and prices if possible?
I understand where you are coming from, Bruce Sexauer, Two Hands, and Edwinson have posted in this thread so far, but I know what you mean. Having them in a thread without all the other stuff would be cool. Maybe as we get closer to the event and they get further along we can consolidate the pictures into a new thread.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Yowzah--these all look wonderful, Joel! That last Coco Solis looks amazing!

Really looking forward to meeting you and taking these for a test drive!
Thanks Nemoman...I also look forward to meeting you...and listening to you take them for a test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Me too! Can't wait for the audition.
Me too cigarfan...I build them so that I can listen to them being played by players who play the way that I wish that I could play...but can’t 🤔😉
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow, Joel, I don't know what to say! Those are stunners to say the very least. I am honored to have you and your beautiful builds at the first annual B.I.G.

There are so many things I like about these, I can't even begin to list them all. Holy cow.

Thank you so much for posting!!!!
Thanks Tom...for the invitation...and for making me blush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Big Fun!!!

Joel, your guitars look really really nice! Bevels and Ports really enhance the player's experience immensely. Kudos for offering them, especially at no upcharge!

I will indeed be bringing my latest John Kinnaird Custom Round Peak. And I will be glad to let anyone relatively sober, with clean hands and no belt buckle play her for a while!

I am sorry John K can not come due to family stuff but plan to do my best to show folks what stunning stuff he is building lately.

All aboard!

Paul
Thanks Paul...TBT...the bevels and ports being standard issue was a decision that was easily made the first time that I experienced them. They changed the way that I think about guitars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy View Post
HI. While visiting with Steve Sheriff at their shop a couple of months back, I had the opportunity to play one of Joel's guitars. I can tell you they are outstanding. I'm pretty picky about nut widths and string spacing (I prefer 1&7/8" nuts and 2&3/8's at the bridge) and while I don't know what Joel's spacing was, I can tell you it was VERY easy to play and sounded great. The workmanship was also top notch. Congratulations on your journey to luthiership, Joel.

Jim Gager
Thanks Jim...I was in Asheville NC when you visited, and I hate that I missed you. I did get to visit Dream Guitars, though...where I was able to experience my first Kostal, Sexauer, Wilborn guitars.
Thank you for the response to playing my guitars. FYI...the ones that you played were both 1-3/4” nut and 2-1/4 ss.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'd be surprised to learn that anyone is unaware of my nearby build thread series, but just in case: The single 0's I am bringing to B.I.G. are fairly well documented in "Sexauer '18 chapter 3" in the AGF Custom Shop. Currently, I expect I will also bring the "Tree" 00 documented earlier in the same thread, and my Amazon RW JB-L00 (ditto on the documentation) I made last spring. It is quite similar in most ways to the guitar I made for Tom, and should make an interesting comparison for those wondering whether BRW is worth the price of admission. I am not into naming prices in the forum as it doesn't feel right to me, but my price structure is pretty clear on THIS PAGE in my website.

I recently raised my prices and while I won't undercut my base price for you, I am being relatively generous with bells and whistles at the moment. The Pernambuco 0 is my base "companion" guitar plus the Pernambuco and the cutaway. The Mahogany 0 I am considering a WRX. If you poke around on the page linked above you can figure out the pricing ball park. On both guitar I am including the cutaway at no charge. The Pernambuco I paid dearly for and cannot give away.

The other two guitars were built speculatively before the increase, and I will sell them based on my previous price structure, which was considerably lower. Both are stellar examples of my current state of the art.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I'd be surprised to learn that anyone is unaware of my nearby build thread series, but just in case: The single 0's I am bringing to B.I.G. are fairly well documented in "Sexauer '18 chapter 3" in the AGF Custom Shop. Currently, I expect I will also bring the "Tree" 00 documented earlier in the same thread, and my Amazon RW JB-L00 (ditto on the documentation) I made last spring. It is quite similar in most ways to the guitar I made for Tom, and should make an interesting comparison for those wondering whether BRW is worth the price of admission. I am not into naming prices in the forum as it doesn't feel right to me, but my price structure is pretty clear on THIS PAGE in my website.

I recently raised my prices and while I won't undercut my base price for you, I am being relatively generous with bells and whistles at the moment. The Pernambuco 0 is my base "companion" guitar plus the Pernambuco and the cutaway. The Mahogany 0 I am considering a WRX. If you poke around on the page linked above you can figure out the pricing ball park. On both guitar I am including the cutaway at no charge. The Pernambuco I paid dearly for and cannot give away.

The other two guitars were built speculatively before the increase, and I will sell them based on my previous price structure, which was considerably lower. Both are stellar examples of my current state of the art.
These all sound GREAT. For those of you who have not had the great fortune of playing a Sexauer and are coming to B.I.G., you are in for a treat. For those of us who have been lucky, we also are in for a treat LOL. There is no replacement for 50 years of building and experience. My recent Sexauer purchase is purely magical in its tone, playability, comfort, fit and finish, and just has something beyond what any of my other guitars have. I am not sure what it is other than it is there and Bruce put it there!!!! I hope to have my personal Sexauer there for people to try along with what Bruce is bringing!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

I hope you bring your Sexauer guitar, Tom, as it will otherwise be quite challenging for people to be able to compare it to the Amazon version I’m planning to bring.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I hope you bring your Sexauer guitar, Tom, as it will otherwise be quite challenging for people to be able to compare it to the Amazon version I’m planning to bring.

Yes, I agree, would be tough to compare it if they had to swing to NY first lol. I have about 5 that I need to ship...or take them down one at a time on the plane with me, but I worry that I will be forced to gate check them last minute and I could not handle the stress of that!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Well while we can't compete with the Artisan Show that now has a thread going, we are doing our best to offer something the big shows can't, personal interaction and one on one relationships. That was really the point of this from the beginning, not to be so large we lose the one on one approach.

Please see below the current working schedule of the two day event March 30-31st including luthiers, workshops, lessons, music, concerts, food, and getting to meet me!!!!

Saturday: Hours 10 AM to 8 PM: Guitars on display and ready to test drive from Bruce Sexauer, Jason Kostal, Steve Kinnaird and Ryan Middlebrook, Ben Wilborn, Edwinson guitars, and Two Hands Guitar Company. Gerry Humphrey of Humphrey acoustic amps will be there with his amps which are fantastic! John Thomas will also be present with his WWII Gibson as well as his books and expertise.

11:30 AM to 1:00: Michael Watts workshop which is for all levels and all style of player. Individual lessons will be scheduled with Michael throughout the two day event.

1:30 to 3:00/3:30: Music by Paul Nichols and wife Cindy.

2:00 to ??? Texas BBQ, Brisket, pulled pork, sausage, various sides, water, ice tea, soft drinks, wine, beer, whiskey sampling. Desserts

4:00 to 4:45: Music by Bruce Sexauer himself!!! I hear this young man can back up his building skills with his playing!!!

6:00 to 7:00: Concert under the lights by Frog and Toad (Brad Jones/Ben Wilborn). This will be under the Texas stars and live Oaks. Should be magicial. Grab a glass of red and settle in for some great music.

7:00 to 8:00: Michael Watts gets a chance to show off his Kostal and his amazing fingerstyle playing all the way from England to us in Texas!!! Come on now folks, not bad right????

Sunday: 10:00 to 3:00 PM: Guitars and luthiers waiting for you!

10 to noon: Brunch with mimosas and Bloody Mary Bar!

11:30 to 12:30: Guitar building seminar, philosophies, methods, and techniques by Bruce Sexauer simply one of the most accomplished luthiers of our time.

1:00 to 2:00: John Thomas, Vintage Gibson world renown expert will demonstrate his gone to war Gibson as well as discuss Vintage Gibsons, the Kalamazoo girls, and the documentary that is currently being made regarding this guitar!!! You will be shocked at the folks who have played this instrument. You can too.

2:00 to 3:00: Finalize purchases/commisions. Let's start planning the next year!!!!

These are the scheduled items, I can only imagine the jam sessions we will have with all the talented AGF members coming!!!

About 10 more spots open if interested in coming. Hope to see you all there!

Tom

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-12-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Smile Woohoo...

This is gonna be SO FUN.

Hope there is some BBQ left by 3:30 or so! Can't count the number of times I have played myself out of food availability. And I LOVE to eat. But I LOVE TO PLAY EVEN MORE. Haha

I am SO looking forward to meeting so many fine folks!

Thanks for doing this!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-12-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
This is gonna be SO FUN.

Hope there is some BBQ left by 3:30 or so! Can't count the number of times I have played myself out of food availability. And I LOVE to eat. But I LOVE TO PLAY EVEN MORE. Haha

I am SO looking forward to meeting so many fine folks!

Thanks for doing this!

Paul
We will save you some, but I have seen your picture, we can order a salad for you LOL!!!!!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'll be around just to hang out with. Sounds like a busy day, so if you just want to schedule some hang time, my appointment book's open.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
I'll be around just to hang out with. Sounds like a busy day, so if you just want to schedule some hang time, my appointment book's open.

Whoops, I am trying not to make mistakes, but I left out a very important name. My apologies and it is now corrected.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop