The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I really like the Blue Chip TAD 60 with the 3 rounded edges and the rounded bevels instead of the speed bevels. I think for my playing style they sound the best of anything I've tried. The tone is thick and fat.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
For years I didn't play with picks. I started with them but just never seemed to get the hang of it so I switched over to all fingerstyle. But there are a lot of cover songs out there that just really need a pick to be strummed well and eventually I went over to picks. Leading up to this point I, too, said I would never pay $35 for pick. That's just stupid. Guess what I now play with? Two Blue Chip CT-55 picks. I don't lose them. They stay in a nice small leather pouch with my capo.

All that said, check out the John Pearse Fast Turtle picks. Those are much less expensive and have a smooth feel and warm tone.
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the Turtle picks!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCawber View Post
I don't want to hear any noise from the pick - just the sound of the guitar. I think that's what I would describe as a "warm" sound. So far, the best sounding picks I have found are Blue Chip TAD 60's. They're heavy and expensive but are very neutral in their sound - you don't get any pick snap. Red Bear as well as some other vendors I've seen on this forum also make some very special high end picks.

I figure that if I think I deserve to play a guitar I spent $5K to own, I can afford to treat the guitar to a $50 pick . . .
Good point on the cost vs the guitar!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
I go for the same tone you do, and I think that the Primetones are a good bet. Warm and round, not twangy like a thin pick will give you. Ultex aren't bad, and I like nylon picks for warmth too - but the Primetones beat them. I like the bevel. I use Primetone 1.3 mm picks almost exclusively, unless I am using the only pick I like better...

(sorry)

My Blue Chip TD 50. It's noticeably better than the Primetone. But I do like the Primetone picks - good picks for the money.
You guys are going to keep on until I pay $35 for a pick!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
I go for the same tone you do, and I think that the Primetones are a good bet. Warm and round, not twangy like a thin pick will give you. Ultex aren't bad, and I like nylon picks for warmth too - but the Primetones beat them. I like the bevel. I use Primetone 1.3 mm picks almost exclusively, unless I am using the only pick I like better...

(sorry)

My Blue Chip TD 50. It's noticeably better than the Primetone. But I do like the Primetone picks - good picks for the money.
Yep, I just can't handle the loud twang. The Jazz I nylon picks really give me the tone I want. I just told another poster that you guys are going to keep on until I buy a $35 pick!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwrjr View Post
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the Turtle picks!
Also, why the CT55 Bluechip over their other picks? Before I spend that much on a pick I would like to hear from those who have used them. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
You guys are going to keep on until I pay $35 for a pick!
Add me to the chorus. The OP seems to want a BlueChip without paying for one.

Good luck on that. I used to be part of the some resistance, before I finally played one.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Also, why the CT55 Bluechip over their other picks? Before I spend that much on a pick I would like to hear from those who have used them. Thanks.
I use a BlueChip TP40.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not OP, but they're perfect. I was always a teardrop guy and once I got ahold of the CT55 my quest was over. It took some getting used to and now it just feels right. Both for picking and strumming. Very smooth across the strings and because of its large size, it feels sturdy and doesn't slip or budge. I even use it on my electric now. Best thing about BC is if you don't like it you can return it for a refund or exchange.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:13 PM

For acoustic, plain old Fender 351 Medium tortoise and sometimes Ultex .73.

Electrics, mostly Fender 346 Heavy tortoise.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:19 PM

There’s a fender 351 heavy in my front pocket, and a Blue Chip TPR 40 in my wallet.

There’s also 351’s all over the house.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Not OP, but they're perfect. I was always a teardrop guy and once I got ahold of the CT55 my quest was over. It took some getting used to and now it just feels right. Both for picking and strumming. Very smooth across the strings and because of its large size, it feels sturdy and doesn't slip or budge. I even use it on my electric now. Best thing about BC is if you don't like it you can return it for a refund or exchange.
Thanks! Good info.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:13 PM

I used to use Tortex. I'd buy them by the gross. Lose a few? Who cares! Wear them out super fast? Just grab another one. Easy and cheap. It took me a long time to figure out that they didn't sound good to me and don't work with my playing style anymore.

I tried a bunch of things before I settled on Blue Chip TP40. Their TD picks felt too small, even though they were the same size as the Dunlop's I'd used forever. The CT55 was too dull for me, same with the rounded tips. Once I tried my first BC I knew I'd like them, and the TP40 is what ended up being my favorite. I can't imagine using anything else now.

Years ago I would never have thought that I'd own $35 picks. I could buy 144 Tortex for less than the price of one! But now I own a total of 10 Blue Chip picks and I've never lost a single one. Yet, anyway. You never know.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
I used to use Tortex. I'd buy them by the gross. Lose a few? Who cares! Wear them out super fast? Just grab another one. Easy and cheap. It took me a long time to figure out that they didn't sound good to me and don't work with my playing style anymore.

I tried a bunch of things before I settled on Blue Chip TP40. Their TD picks felt too small, even though they were the same size as the Dunlop's I'd used forever. The CT55 was too dull for me, same with the rounded tips. Once I tried my first BC I knew I'd like them, and the TP40 is what ended up being my favorite. I can't imagine using anything else now.

Years ago I would never have thought that I'd own $35 picks. I could buy 144 Tortex for less than the price of one! But now I own a total of 10 Blue Chip picks and I've never lost a single one. Yet, anyway. You never know.
What type of music do you play?
Old 02-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My first pick was a TAD-40 1R. I didn't really know what I wanted since I was new to picks so I went with the 40 thickness and did the 1R (one rounded, two pointed corners) figuring that would give me a little bit of everything. The rounded corner didn't do much for me and I felt like I would like a thicker pick but I couldn't decide between the TAD-50 and 60 so I went with the CT-55 which split the difference and it was perfect. Then I found someone here to trade my TAD-40 1R for their CT-55 and now I have the two. Love them. I used to ask myself what kind of idiot pays $35 for a pick? Turns out I am!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion