The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-14-2020, 10:21 AM

Default NGD: X30 Kosipo

This is my first ever NGD post and happy to bring into the fold my brand new Emerald X30 with Kosipo veneer. Only mod to the stock model was upgrade to a LR Baggs Anthem pickup. Here's my first impressions:

Aesthetics: I love the look of the Kosipo veneer - it really does have that holographic look when you move it the shades of brown seem to move as if they are flowing through the veneer. headstock looks so nice too with the Emerald logo and the cosmic black Gotoh tuners and dark amber B&S.

Tone: Wow! big guitar = big sound/volume for dayzz but such great note/string clarity. the boominess of the bass gets some getting used to since i've been using a Grand Auditorium style Martin for almost a year now so i'll need to get used to it again. But the sound projects almost like it's coming through an amplifier from within the instrument. Tested the anthem pickup and it sounds as good as i've ever heard any pickup through an amp.

Playability/ergonomics: i'm used to a 1 3/4" nut from my other guitars and the neck is nice but slightly less comfortable than my grand auditorium neck. But i'm not doing any finger gymnastics to get the chords/sounds i want so i'm not that bothered. Action is a tad high for what i like (~3/32” lowE at 12th fret whereas i like it at 2/32”), so i had a professional setup done. His comment to me when i picked it up: “You really got a fine instrument. I’ve heard a lot of carbon fiber guitars that don’t sound that great, but this Emerald has the best tone i’ve heard out of one.” As everyone already notes, it sounds like a jumbo but ergonomically more comfortable due to the contours and sloped shoulder. Would not say it plays “small” but definitely not unwieldy or uncomfortable.

Overall: amazing guitar, big sound, comfortable considering its size, and flawless craftsmanship. i will need to get used to the thickness of the neck and the bassiness of the tone but am glad to add this to complement my smaller-body GA sitka/rosewood. Thanks to Emerald for making such a fine instrument!

I’m not a charter member so can’t post pics but grateful if anyone can give me any workarounds to post pics and i'll try.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Great write up, the accolades for the X30 don't seem to stop coming. Enjoy !
Old 02-14-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
This is my first ever NGD post and happy to bring into the fold my brand new Emerald X30 with Kosipo veneer. Only mod to the stock model was upgrade to a LR Baggs Anthem pickup. Here's my first impressions:

Aesthetics: I love the look of the Kosipo veneer - it really does have that holographic look when you move it the shades of brown seem to move as if they are flowing through the veneer. headstock looks so nice too with the Emerald logo and the cosmic black Gotoh tuners and dark amber B&S.
Welcome to the fold

I believe I saw the Kosipo veneer on a recent shipping video - in fact, it was probably your guitar. What a glorious piece of wood that is!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-14-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Welcome to the fold

I believe I saw the Kosipo veneer on a recent shipping video - in fact, it was probably your guitar. What a glorious piece of wood that is!
that's right - the Feb 4 shipping video at the 11min timestamp....that's my baby!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Congratulations on the new X30 they're quite unique. FYI you don't have to be a charter member to post pics, you can use Imgur or something similar.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Emerald. I'm trying to forget that I've got a Black Limba X30 on order, but posts like yours and Cincy's refresh my memory...
Old 02-14-2020, 01:22 PM

Congrats all around! i watch all the shipping videos and it is so cool to see all the beautiful Emerald creations. They have really come a long way!

i think this would be too much guitar for me but posts like these make me wonder. Still leaving X20 for my first Emerald
Old 02-14-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks to Emerald for making such a fine instrument!
So glad you love it, your veneer really did pop. Best of luck with it! Make sure and send us back some examples of it in action!

Thanks!
Simon
Old 02-15-2020, 07:57 AM

Excellent buy!! Mandatory photos please.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-15-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m not a charter member so can’t post pics but grateful if anyone can give me any workarounds to post pics and i'll try.
jcpharm... congratulations... look forward to seeing the X30. Your above statement is incorrect. You're a registered user and can post pictures anytime you like... users post pics every day. Take a look at this thread and PM me if you have trouble. I'll be glad to help you.

You have two methods from which to choose. You can use the Tapatalk app or you can use a third-party host like Imgur. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Runaway Tomato

Congratulations on the new X30! We're looking forward to the pictures. I'll be ordering mine (probably stock) in about 3 weeks, so it's especially good to read your review.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-15-2020, 09:51 PM

Thanks guys for the tips! Here are the photos as requested!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:55 PM

Quite beautacious indeed!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-15-2020, 10:11 PM

Very nice! Beautiful choice.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-16-2020, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a beautiful new Emerald. P.S. Like the guitar, love the dog.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber