The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Default 12-fret Plays Differently

I find that my recently acquired 12-fret Larrivee OM-09 (1996) is quite different from any other guitar I've played. It seems to require a "softer" touch to bring out it's true tone beauty and in playing it I continue to learn and hopefully become a better player. It can handle hard strumming, but loses some of that sweet Rosewood tone. This is my 1st 12-fret.

What has your experience been with 12-fret guitars (especially OM or similar body)?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2020, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
I find that my recently acquired 12-fret Larrivee OM-09 (1996) is quite different from any other guitar I've played. It seems to require a "softer" touch to bring out it's true tone beauty and in playing it I continue to learn and hopefully become a better player. It can handle hard strumming, but loses some of that sweet Rosewood tone. This is my 1st 12-fret.

What has your experience been with 12-fret guitars (especially OM or similar body)?

Thanks!
Assuming the same gauge strings, a shorter scale length than what you've been used to might explain your observations.

All but 1 of my 12 fretters are 25.4" and all have been set up to play pretty much the same. You might want to take yours for a set up and bring a 14 fretter of your choice for comparison to see if you can get them t o match, action & overall feel wise.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:31 AM

12 fret guitars are their own thing and It would be an apples vs oranges comparison to a 14 fret guitar. Like other guitars, 12 fretters come in long and short scale Lengths and from Parlor to Dread body sizes. Gibson’s are noted for short scale lengths while Larrivee 12 fret instruments have a long scale length of 25.5”. The bridge of the 12 fret guitar is moved farther toward the lower bout giving a unique sound which can be much different from a 14 fret. A long scale guitar will sound more crisp than a short scale which is more adept at string bending.

Primarily I use my 12 fret guitars for fingerstyle playing and currently have four 12 fret instruments (two are Larrivee). To me the sound is sweeter and more full with better string balance than the 14 fret. I have a Parlor, Two 00 sized guitars, and a 000.
Years ago I had a Martin D12-20 round shoulder 12 string 12 fret and that was one sweet player.

I love 12 fret guitars but I do believe they have their place in the whole scheme of things. Your Larrivee OM-09 is a great guitar!

Enjoy,

Blues

Last edited by BluesBelly; 02-10-2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Um, the OM-09 isn't a 12 fret. An OM design is the 000 body redesigned to be a 14 fret. You wanna check that?

I am THE 12 fret freak, but it isn't about the number of frets to body, or the slotted head-stock (both of which are better ergonomically than the alternatives), but the nut width and string spacing giving a wider fretboard.

See:
Old 02-10-2020, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

What are those things clamped at the end of the headstocks of all your guitars? They don't look like tuners.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Um, the OM-09 isn't a 12 fret. An OM design is the 000 body redesigned to be a 14 fret. You wanna check that?

I am THE 12 fret freak, but it isn't about the number of frets to body, or the slotted head-stock (both of which are better ergonomically than the alternatives), but the nut width and string spacing giving a wider fretboard.

See:
Silly,

It's an OM-09 Custom 12-fret.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Welcome to the 12 fret world. Big fan here. I feel lucky to have 3 and all are short scale. One (PJ) is a very small parlor, one is a 00, and one is a dread. I doubt I would part with any of them and sometimes wish one of my 14 fretters was a 000 12 fret. I play primarily with a flatpick. While I happen to like the medium tension Santa Cruz strings on all of my guitars except the PJ (requires light guard and or low tension), could be the strings you have tried on your new guitar aren’t producing a sound you like and a change might help. Experimenting with different picks might help too. I mostly used phosphor bronze mediums on the Larrivee I once had but it was an L shape, 14 fret, and a mahogany top, so it was quite a bit different than yours. Certainly experimenting with set up and the other variables is worth doing and might be fun. Good luck with it.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Silly,

It's an OM-09 Custom 12-fret.
Well, as OM means 14 fret by definition, I'm confused, so would you please show us pictures.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

wguitar: What scale is your Larrivee vs. your other guitars? Many people assume all 12-frets are short scale, but as RRuskin & BluesBelly point out, not all 12 frets are short scale. (Conversely some 14 frets, e.g., Martin 000's are typically short scale). It's kinda key info to know w-regards to answering your question.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, as OM means 14 fret by definition, I'm confused, so would you please show us pictures.
Eh not really. Eastman for example , and others have been selling short scale 14 fret OM's for a long time with or without the pick guard. I think Martin specific details dont really apply today.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:05 AM

12-fretters punch above their weight. A mahogany 12-fretter has a harmonic richness. Rosewoods can get clashy if you drive them too hard.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
. . . It seems to require a "softer" touch to bring out it's true tone beauty and in playing it I continue to learn and hopefully become a better player. It can handle hard strumming, but loses some of that sweet Rosewood tone. This is my 1st 12-fret.

Thanks!
What an enjoyable 12 fret chat/video SM has there- especially the test w/ multiple 12 fretters in the guitar shop. But to my wallet's lament, what I look for in a guitar has changed over the last 2 years, let alone 20.

I play north of the soundhole, and slightly over the fretboard extension to fatten the sound. The 12 fret body still has the same shape as my 14 fret round shoulder guitars, with my right arm over the same place as the 14 fretters. When playing with more intensity, with the fretboard ext/soundhole lower on a 12 fret's top, there can be some impact noise from strings smacking into the fretboard (apologies for the reflection of the natural-topped 14 fret's reflection in the sunburst 12 fret on the left):

... S H Jeff's suggestion about looking into different strings, string gauges, and string action height is worth noting. I've gone up to .105 low E @ the 12th fret, and taller saddle for some help with the situation described above, illustrated in the photo.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
It seems to require a "softer" touch to bring out it's true tone beauty ....
I noticed the same thing with a Froggy H-12, scale length 25 in.

It took a bit of getting used to, and part of learning to play it is due to the required light gauge strings. Anything heavier voids the warranty. I prefer to have the 1, 2 strings of medium gauge.

So between the shorter scale, lighter strings, and perhaps the 12 frets and bridge placement, it does require a softer touch.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
What are those things clamped at the end of the headstocks of all your guitars? They don't look like tuners.
yup - Planet waves, mini clip on tuners - one for each guitar. like these , but earlier models.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Wave.../dp/B009LL2ZAM
Old 02-10-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62burst View Post
What an enjoyable 12 fret chat/video SM has there- especially the test w/ multiple 12 fretters in the guitar shop. But to my wallet's lament, what I look for in a guitar has changed over the last 2 years, let alone 20.

Thanks 62 burst - I hope you could understand my speech - as I was still very much recovering from throat cancer treatment which affected my mouth and throat quite a lot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
uit