The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Collings case questions

Hello. Is the Collings handmade vintage style case included with any new Collings acoustic guitars? It appears to me that it is not.

Also, was it ever included with any, and if so in what years and with which models?

Or possibly it's only ever been available separately?
Thanks in advance.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-26-2020, 10:49 AM

You would have to check with them but the last time I checked - yes. They stopped doing it with most guitars. When I bought my D1 Custom last year it was supposed to come with the Collings-built case but it didn't even though the web site still said it did. I believed they changed it to only Traditional D's. However, they recently said they were caught up and who knows what the current policy is. Honestly, I think the standard case they include is more than adequate for everything the other case is. Especially since the case is just the storage vessel for the guitar.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

My understanding is that there was a window when the Collings-made vintage-style cases were being included with all traditional models and some others, but that currently they are only available separately/as an upgrade and that the TKL cases are standard. My '18 OM1A JL and '19 01MhT both came with them.

The Collings-made cases are pricey, but are wonderful. I've slowly migrated to them when/where possible.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:45 PM

I've saw some listings with guitars from the end of 2017 which mentioned the Collings handmade case. I'm wondering if the handmade case was offered with those OM1 and the OM2H, too.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
My understanding is that there was a window when the Collings-made vintage-style cases were being included with all traditional models and some others, but that currently they are only available separately/as an upgrade and that the TKL cases are standard. My '18 OM1A JL and '19 01MhT both came with them.

The Collings-made cases are pricey, but are wonderful. I've slowly migrated to them when/where possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
I've saw some listings with guitars from the end of 2017 which mentioned the Collings handmade case. I'm wondering if the handmade case was offered with those OM1 and the OM2H, too.
Collings cases were originally released with just the Traditional series. Then, there was a period where they came with some of the Standard models. But, after awhile they stopped including them with any of their guitars, and became available only via direct purchase on their website.

The exact dates of the above, I am not sure. Yet, you might find some Collings guitars (Traditional and Standard) that are still available which include the handmade case.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:21 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between the TKL case and the Collings Traditional Case? From what I see in the internet the only difference I could see are the colours and some design differences, but not very noticeable. Perhaps the traditional casings have better lockup system or sturdier?
Martin Backpacker('11)
Seagull Maritime SWS Concert Hall CW Semi-Gloss('11)
Cort Earth 100SE('11)
Yamaha A3R('12)
Martin D-28('12)
Furch Yellow Gc-CR('18)
Old 02-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakejfran View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between the TKL case and the Collings Traditional Case? From what I see in the internet the only difference I could see are the colours and some design differences, but not very noticeable. Perhaps the traditional casings have better lockup system or sturdier?
Collings provides a nice overview here - https://www.collingsguitars.com/cases/
Old 02-15-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

There’s no comparison in the quality. The Collings made case is lighter, sturdier, and less clunky.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Huge differences. First, they’re built to specifically fit that model. The case that came with my OM1A JL is tiny by comparison—there’s no wasted space inside. Other cases have a ton of extra space inside to fit a variety of similarly sized models. They’re lightweight yet feel sturdy and substantial. The hardware (latches) are vintage style and well finished. You can get the full rundown at Collings’ website. Are they worth the $995 expense? Perhaps not, considering it’s not far off a Calton and twice the price of a Hiscox Artist. But, they look great.

https://store.collingsguitars.com/co...eadnought-case
Old 02-15-2020, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Although a Calton is heavier. Unless you need that level of protection I’d rather carry the Collings-made case.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
The exact dates of the above, I am not sure.
Thanks. Anyone?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Collings provides a nice overview here - https://www.collingsguitars.com/cases/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
There’s no comparison in the quality. The Collings made case is lighter, sturdier, and less clunky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milerun View Post
Huge differences. First, they’re built to specifically fit that model. The case that came with my OM1A JL is tiny by comparison—there’s no wasted space inside. Other cases have a ton of extra space inside to fit a variety of similarly sized models. They’re lightweight yet feel sturdy and substantial. The hardware (latches) are vintage style and well finished. You can get the full rundown at Collings’ website. Are they worth the $995 expense? Perhaps not, considering it’s not far off a Calton and twice the price of a Hiscox Artist. But, they look great.

https://store.collingsguitars.com/co...eadnought-case
Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Collings cases were originally released with just the Traditional series. Then, there was a period where they came with some of the Standard models. But, after awhile they stopped including them with any of their guitars, and became available only via direct purchase on their website.

The exact dates of the above, I am not sure. Yet, you might find some Collings guitars (Traditional and Standard) that are still available which include the handmade case.
So does that mean we have to buy the handmade case separately from their website? I don't think I need two guitar cases...
Martin Backpacker('11)
Seagull Maritime SWS Concert Hall CW Semi-Gloss('11)
Cort Earth 100SE('11)
Yamaha A3R('12)
Martin D-28('12)
Furch Yellow Gc-CR('18)
Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

So does that mean we have to buy the handmade case separately from their website? I don't think I need two guitar cases...
That’s correct. The TKL case that comes with Collings is perfectly fine. The handmade cases are separate purchases. I purchased a couple of hand-made cases when they first came out and cost ~$600. I’m glad I did, they are very nice. If you’re looking to spend some money, they are very light-weight and well made. If you’re not interested, the TKL cases work fine.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

Actually if you order a new Collings you can request a new traditional case to be included and factored into the price. I purchased a new NOS lefty OM2H last year year and it came with a traditional case. I’ve also purchased a few of the new cases before the recent price increase and though they are well made, lightweight and have great hardware the covering really isn’t very durable. If you’re looking for a gig worthy durable case you may want to look elsewhere.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:05 PM

I replaced the stock TKL case that came with my Collings C10 with a Collings Case about 6 months ago (Direct order from Collings). It’s lighter, sleeker, more snug and is easier to carry. Is it the balance, handle, shape, IDK. I agree with the previous comments about the TKL as it gets the job done - and now I have an extra guitar case that will need a new home one day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion