The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Default 100th anniversary of the Boston Molasses Flood

When I first read about this, I thought it was some kind of a joke. But as I read that 21 people died and many others injured, I realized that, while a bit bizarre, this was a tragedy.

Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood
Old 01-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I just finished sound design on a feature about this disaster. It is a fascinating little piece of history that includes the rather unpopular fact that Boston was a hub of the "triangle trade," a trade that involved, amongst other things, slaves, mollasses, and rum, all traded in a triangle of ports from Africa to the West Indies to America. By the time of the disaster, the molasses had been used to create armament for WWI.

In this case, the company treasurer was in charge of executing the building of the molasses tank that failed. He had no design or safety experience and show little concern with structural reliability or safety; he only cared about the bottom line. What came of the disaster was the modern system of architects and engineers signing off on and publishing their designs and inspectors checking out those designs and watching construction to ensure public safety. Before that disaster it virtually didn't exist.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
When I first read about this, I thought it was some kind of a joke. But as I read that 21 people died and many others injured, I realized that, while a bit bizarre, this was a tragedy...
If you're from Massachusetts you've probably heard of these guys (listen to verse 3):

Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I just finished sound design on a feature about this disaster. It is a fascinating little piece of history that includes the rather unpopular fact that Boston was a hub of the "triangle trade," a trade that involved, amongst other things, slaves, mollasses, and rum, all traded in a triangle of ports from Africa to the West Indies to America. By the time of the disaster, the molasses had been used to create armament for WWI.

In this case, the company treasurer was in charge of executing the building of the molasses tank that failed. He had no design or safety experience and show little concern with structural reliability or safety; he only cared about the bottom line. What came of the disaster was the modern system of architects and engineers signing off on and publishing their designs and inspectors checking out those designs and watching construction to ensure public safety. Before that disaster it virtually didn't exist.

Bob
Thanks for the additional details Bob! Always good to have more info about the origin of some of the regulations and bureaucratic procedures that are so familiar in modern life; what are annoyances now were rooted in outrage about gross neglect of safety concerns and public health...

And I guess you are right: most facts about slavery are rather unpopular... Not a facet of our country's history that is so uplifting, or that inspires pride.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're from Massachusetts you've probably heard of these guys (listen to verse 3):

]
Hadn't heard of these guys. Good stuff!! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM

And then , there is the Great Johnstown flood .
Here in Pa , we are still paying for it . I kid you not unless it was recently removed from the books .
Old 01-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

...the rather unpopular fact that Boston was a hub of the "triangle trade," a trade that involved, amongst other things, slaves, mollasses, and rum, all traded in a triangle of ports from Africa to the West Indies to America...
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post

And I guess you are right: most facts about slavery are rather unpopular... Not a facet of our country's history that is so uplifting, or that inspires pride.
Who knew? Blood molasses. Boston Baked Beans should be banned in Boston.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
And then , there is the Great Johnstown flood .
Here in Pa , we are still paying for it . I kid you not unless it was recently removed from the books .
And here's a very excellent book on the subject, as are all of David McCullough's works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4254.jpg (63.1 KB, 34 views)
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic