The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2018, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Bose L1 Compact Vs Turbosound - Videos and surprising results

I made some video's of my Martin D-18 w/Baggs Anthem PU directly into a Bose L1 Compact and then compared directly into a Turbosound IP1000.
I am very pleased with the Baggs Anthem.

Interestingly, the Bose L1C is more friendly when I need to stand right in front of it. It has a more forgiving, laid back sound. It may impart an internal midrange frequency scoop. Not sure, but for gigs where I stand right in front of the system, the Bose works best. But when I can give myself a little space, the Turbosound is a bit punchier. It seems to fill in the sonic blanks exhibited by the Bose.

I also did a live gig at a local resort and that patio cleared out early, so I took the opportunity to make a video so I could listen back. Its rather long and self indulgent. Forgive the clams and rocky sections.

I laid down a rhythm loop, then I pounded out a pseudo kick drum rhythm on the top of the guitar and looped then. Then I solo'd over it. I was just experimenting, so it's rather long and maybe boring. But tonally, the Baggs anthem through the Turbosound IP1000 in a live gig setting worked well. I had some reverb shimmer via a Boss RV-6 and I was also running the guitar through a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ pedal.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-25-2018, 04:33 PM

Was it you and I that were talking in an earlier thread about the differences between these?

Your findings regarding both the distance from the source and the audible result make sense with the mechanical differences between the L1C and the iP1000. It's nice to have both, I bet

I have the iP1000 on home stereo duty when not being used for its intended purpose, and that is a spot where the Bose would probably do a little better. More even sound no matter where you are.

With the iP, it is a little fussier due to the speaker configuration and crossover configuration. But once you give it some space...look out!
Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Thank you so much for posting these. I haven't had time to listen to the second one, but the first one with the comparison is extremely helpful. Very nice playing by the way.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottledAwesome View Post
Was it you and I that were talking in an earlier thread about the differences between these?

Your findings regarding both the distance from the source and the audible result make sense with the mechanical differences between the L1C and the iP1000. It's nice to have both, I bet

I have the iP1000 on home stereo duty when not being used for its intended purpose, and that is a spot where the Bose would probably do a little better. More even sound no matter where you are.

With the iP, it is a little fussier due to the speaker configuration and crossover configuration. But once you give it some space...look out!
It was probably me discussing the comparison of these two. I gigged tonight outdoors on a back patio at a model home showcase. I used the Turbo Sound and it worked great. But I did notice when it gets pushed, it can sound a little harsh. But typically, I don’t ever gig in places where I need to push it beyond its optimal performance.

ChrisCom - Glad the comparison was helpful. I listened back again after reading your post. The Turbosound is a bit punchier and seems to fill in sonic blanks that are slightly missing on the Bose. But when I used my pedal board with Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp, the Bose came to life and is a bit more forgiving and pleasant when pushed. Both are very good systems.

Its hard to beat the value of the Turbosound IP1000 for around $700 and change. (easy to get a 15% discount ...which I did).

But the Bose dispersion is perhaps wider, more even and sounds better up close if you need to stand right in front of it.

One thing I have not tried and I’ll bet it will be great ....using BOTH at the same time. That might be super rich!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification