The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2017, 12:46 PM

I have a Furman Power Factor PF Pro and for all that it claims to do it's really a glorified power strip. The best thing to do is have an electrician run a dedicated line.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Better than have a good ups?
Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Voltage regulating audio is expensive. Don't use those devices for computers they add noise to the audio and aren't meant for that application. Voltage always fluctuates. It's sounds like the problem the OP is experiencing is noise in the line.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Voltage regulating audio is expensive. Don't use those devices for computers they add noise to the audio and aren't meant for that application. Voltage always fluctuates. It's sounds like the problem the OP is experiencing is noise in the line.

There are some power conditioning devices that include isolation transformers. So if your ground is good, and you've got harmonics problems, it helps. Some of those cheaper computer devices will add noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Are you talking about AVR Voltage Regulation?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 PM

I was referring to the inexpensive UPS/AVR type units for computers. Those are not meant for audio.

in a pro situation you should have clean power. When I've done road shows with musical theater productions they usually bypass the regular power and tie right into the breaker box which avoids all the house wiring. They will usually have very expensive regulation as well and there are separate circuits for audio, lighting and hydraulics.

Unless you live in an area with super bad power running a dedicated line will usually give you extremely quiet operation as long as you only have you're audio gear on the line.

It doesn't sound like the OP is probably going to spend $500- to $1000 on an audio voltage regulator to power a couple of $600 speakers. I do recommend bringing an outlet tester for gigs and when I'm being ambitious I'll bring a multi-tester.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
There are some power conditioning devices that include isolation transformers. So if your ground is good, and you've got harmonics problems, it helps. Some of those cheaper computer devices will add noise.

What do you think about stuff like the Furman strips. Better than a computer plug strip? Or do they just add noise?

via tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
What do you think about stuff like the Furman strips. Better than a computer plug strip? Or do they just add noise?

via tapatalk

I don't have any personal experience. But the reviews I've read indicate that they don't add any self noise and they help isolate noise between devices. But, they won't cure a noisy power supply inside a speaker or amp. So I guess it depends on the situation. If you have a digital device that is causing an analog device to make noise, this may help.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:31 AM

Given QSC's generally high design standards and that they design their products to work well with modified sine wave inverters (I contacted them and asked), I doubt better wall power will change the K.2 noise floor or be useful regardless of AC power noise.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 AM

These things are a pain to carry around, because they're just a big iron transformer coil and some capacitance which makes them weigh like lead bricks, but they're inexpensive and they work great:

https://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Au...tage+regulator
Old 06-28-2017, 02:00 PM

I just a/b'd the older K12 to the new K12.2 at a music store today and the results were interesting. First off, I did not hear any additional hiss with the new K.2's. I even put my ear up to the speaker when there was no music playing through it and the hiss level seemed to be the same. Definitely not a noticeable increase in hiss, if any.

As for the tone, it was very difficult to decide. It wasn't the best test as the manager had me plug my iPhone into the Touch Mix and then play music. He then would switch from left to right. At first, I thought that the K12.2 had a lot more bass but when he switched back to the original K's, they sounded huge as well. I actually felt like the new K.2's had a bit of a congested mid range. They did sound larger but I am not sure if it's enough to upgrade. Still, I am not going to base my decision on this one test, I might just buy a K12, test it at home and then decide.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I have a Furman Power Factor PF Pro and for all that it claims to do it's really a glorified power strip. The best thing to do is have an electrician run a dedicated line.
I use one, and find it does what it claims to. It solved a problem I had with transient current drops at one venue, which would cause certain of my pedals to act up. It obviously won't affect the OP's situation if his issue is unrelated to the nature of the power he's feeding his speakers.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM

Default QSC K10.2 Settings

Does anyone have advice on the settings for the K10.2? I am a solo acoustic guitarist and singer and use an EV subwoofer as well. Default sounds best but the acoustic guitar and vox setting seems to make sense. I'm running into the Touchmix 8. Thanks in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification