The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Not really, you're judging the actual loudness of a speaker by a YouTube video?
Yes, when the reviewers are actually using a sound meter to demonstrate the difference and also when they discuss how much louder they are.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:47 PM

Doubling the wattage will give you a 3dB bump all things being equal. To double the actual output you would need to increase the wattage by 10. In the case of small speakers like the K Series there is simply not enough speaker to really increase the volume by a significant difference. You simply need more speakers.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:04 AM

So why all those watts if they can't be practically delivered in the same manner as an 85 watt Twin Reverb which will gladly produce 85 watts of 5% distorted 1KHz sinewave as long as you can stand it (i.e. old fashioned watts RMS)?

Clearly the tweeter can't handle or need the same power as the woofer (put your hand over your speaker's tweeter some time and judge the loss of volume). Using the same power amp for both likely saved design time, probably costs about the same given the advantage of buying twice as much of the same thing in their supply chain, and looks good on a marketing flier.

For the woofer, if you really want to deliver 100 watts continuous (which would be so loud as to be deafening at some distance), you want about 10x, or 1000 watts for delivering unclipped peaks (10:1 peak to average ratio is a good rule of thumb for most music).

The bottom line is the higher power numbers are not completely without utility, assuming the DSP does not compress the peaks to spare the woofer voice coil.

QSC is attempting to make a better 100 watt speaker while letting the marketing department loose with the 2KW claim.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-31-2017, 11:07 AM

Correct, you always want more power for the low end which is why you don't see many guys using tube bass gear. It still comes down to the same thing though. For more power you need more speakers. I see this all the time with bass players that try to go the opposite direction. They buy a 1000 watt micro head and can't figure out why their little 210 neo cab isn't giving them what a 300 watt tube SVT stack does. 8 10" speakers deliver a wall of sound whereas 2 speakers don't.

Anyway rather than going back and forth I contacted QSC regarding the difference between the legacy K series and the new K.2's. I was told that the new series does not "significantly"increase SPL which is what I previously stated. What the new design does is it allows the speakers to maintain their clarity at higher SPL's where the older version might have encountered some harshness or distortion.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Correct, you always want more power for the low end which is why you don't see many guys using tube bass gear. It still comes down to the same thing though. For more power you need more speakers. I see this all the time with bass players that try to go the opposite direction. They buy a 1000 watt micro head and can't figure out why their little 210 neo cab isn't giving them what a 300 watt tube SVT stack does. 8 10" speakers deliver a wall of sound whereas 2 speakers don't.

Anyway rather than going back and forth I contacted QSC regarding the difference between the legacy K series and the new K.2's. I was told that the new series does not "significantly"increase SPL which is what I previously stated. What the new design does is it allows the speakers to maintain their clarity at higher SPL's where the older version might have encountered some harshness or distortion.
That's actually great then. My only complaint that I ever had with the K's was the fact that at higher volume settings, they would sound harsh. This does make me wonder how AeroUSA noticed an increase in hiss though.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:12 PM

The components are all new. Maybe they are just noisier. I've used one at a Brunch gig and didn't hear it. Just think twice if you are buying them for home use or studio monitors.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:48 PM

What did you have plugged into the speakers and what were the settings? It seems pretty unlikely they would do a redesign with more noise.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
What did you have plugged into the speakers and what were the settings? It seems pretty unlikely they would do a redesign with more noise.
That's my thinking. One thing to consider as well is that on the original K speakers, if both channels had the volume turned up, the hiss would be more, even without anything plugged into them. I always make sure to turn the second channel all the way down. These types of factors could be contributing to the noise.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:48 PM

Just powered up with nothing plugged in and all volumes at zero.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:56 PM

That doesn't sound right. You should contact them. With most of the new digital speakers they self mute when no material is present. They respond quickly.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:07 PM

They mute after a minute or two of no signal but while they are active the hiss is there
Old 05-31-2017, 09:14 PM

Its possible that you're experiencing hash noise from dirty power. Test by plugging them in/powering up at different times of day and see if anything changes. Ground in the one plug you're in could be dirty too. Test that by testing in different legs of the system. Your circuit panel will tell you where exactly.

Noise from rotating motors has a habit of showing up too. Turn off all fans, air conditioners , fluorescent lights and sometimes even the refrigerator to test that.

If none of that works, you can be pretty sure the new amps have a higher noise floor.

If you had a battery/inverter system (pure sine only for this test), you could isolate the amp and supply with ideally clean power. With that, your answer would be pretty quick and simple.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 PM

These are the instructions from QSC for powered speakers to see if you're unit is generating hiss.

Remove all input and output cables (XLR, 1/4”, or RCA) from the back of the loudspeaker.
Connect the loudspeaker’s power cord to a known working AC inlet (if not already connected). Turn the power switch to the on position. Verify the loudspeaker is running and the power LED is illuminated.
Adjust the gain from its lowest setting to the highest. Listen for noise. If a moderate to high level of noise is heard through the loudspeakers, then the amplifier is generating the noise and should be sent in for service.
noise

A very light static noise may be heard from the loudspeaker if you are listening less than 10 feet from the loudspeaker. This is perfectly normal. If the gain sensitivity or MIC switch is engaged on the powered loudspeaker, noise is likely to be heard from the loudspeaker due to the increased sensitivity.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
These are the instructions from QSC for powered speakers to see if you're unit is generating hiss.

Remove all input and output cables (XLR, 1/4”, or RCA) from the back of the loudspeaker.
Connect the loudspeaker’s power cord to a known working AC inlet (if not already connected). Turn the power switch to the on position. Verify the loudspeaker is running and the power LED is illuminated.
Adjust the gain from its lowest setting to the highest. Listen for noise. If a moderate to high level of noise is heard through the loudspeakers, then the amplifier is generating the noise and should be sent in for service.
noise

A very light static noise may be heard from the loudspeaker if you are listening less than 10 feet from the loudspeaker. This is perfectly normal. If the gain sensitivity or MIC switch is engaged on the powered loudspeaker, noise is likely to be heard from the loudspeaker due to the increased sensitivity.
That's right and reminds me of one last test: switch the mic pres off and see if the noise disappears.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:22 PM

I live in an apartment so it could be dirty power but it is definitely worse than the old K10 (which I still have).

I wouldn't hear it from 10ft away and it does not get much louder as I turn the speaker up so I think it is normal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification