The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Does anyone else in your family share your enthusiasm for guitars?

The only person in my family that has taken up guitar playing is my daughter. And over time she has really improved. I often let her borrow my acoustics and she's even gone out to open mike nights and has really blossomed! My son is in band in high school and as a little boy took piano lessons. He reads music like a dream...plays a mean clarinet in honors band but does not seem to have any interest in guitars...

I even bought a nylon stringed Ibanez classical style acoustic/electric for him specifically and he hardly ever touches it..

I know I shouldn't be disappointed..He is without a doubt a talented musician. But I honestly feel if he gave it a chance he would love it and be able to easily transfer his skills to the guitar!

I often kid him about getting some of his band mates in high school to form a band. Many of them are extremely talented and it would be a great way to have fun and improve and grow musically!
Martin X Series - X1/DE
Ibanez AEG10 NII
Fender Strat American Standard 1990
Fender Strat American Deluxe Strat 2012
PRS Custom 24 Cherry Sunburst
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Blackback PRO (Antique Ivory)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:10 PM

Growing up, my oldest sister played but eventually stopped and sold her guitar; the thing is she is actually musical, just doesn’t like playing. My dad has always played guitar, very basic 3 chord strumming and singing (I’m not much better), I learned on his guitar, even his casual playing paved a way four me to see it and learn.

My son is less than two years old and he sees me play all the time, no idea if he’ll be musical or have an interest in guitar when he’s older, but from before he could even stand he started bobbing his head every time music played. He’s 1.5 years old now and still dances to music every time he hears it, loves it every time I pick up the guitar, he always loves strumming it, he interrupts my songs all the time by doing that, but I will welcome it every time as it shows he has a love for music at this point.

My wife plays cello. My other siblings and mother don’t play.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:15 PM

For guitar music, yes. For brands, nope.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Share? No.
Tolerate? Yes.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

No. I'm the only player. My wife appreciates my guitar playing since she's the lead singer in our acoustic duo. I did have a band with my kids when they were little but the reality is that I'm the only guitar player and therefore the only one enthusiastic about them.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspicker View Post
My son is in band in high school and as a little boy took piano lessons. He reads music like a dream...plays a mean clarinet in honors band but does not seem to have any interest in guitars...
Fear not, my friend. After playing the clarinet for about 55 years, and semi-pro for a fair bit of it, I got my first guitar just a year ago. Frankly, I hope it does not take your son that long. You can have two loves, musically that is.

David
Old 02-17-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Not until just recently. My beautiful wife (of almost 40 years) has started playing. Been taking lessons for almost two years. She's very enthusiastic but she's not certifiable like me?!?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

No one. I stand alone against the wind.........

Gotta be a song in there somewhere.....

My sister, aunt and my late mother and grandfather were all talented musically. Mostly piano players, while my aunt (in her early 80's sings for church choir)

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Nobody else in my family shares my enthusiasm for guitars...
Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

My wife appreciates my appreciation, which I appreciate, but that's about as far as it goes.

I should probably tuck a note into each case to let her know the bottom line value she should expect to get from each if I go. No reason for them to stay in the family, un-played.

Austin
Old 02-17-2020, 08:47 PM

My son and his son both play. My wife, on the other hand, is not terribly enthusiastic about my collection.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-17-2020, 08:54 PM

My father is the one who pushed it on me when I was young. He used to give my sisters and I lessons, and while I was a bit resistant as a kid, learning to play at such a young age infused me with all sorts of musical passion and curiosity. And now, thirty years later, I’m lucky enough to still have this common ground with my dad.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:56 PM

My situation:

Elders: My paternal grandfather played no music that I know of. My paternal grandmother played piano (quite well). I inherited her spinet piano, and it's still in my living room. I took piano lessons as a kid, but lost interest in keyboards, although the music theory was helpful. My maternal grandfather played no music that I know of. My maternal grandmother died before I was born. My father was an accomplished violin and viola player, who in his teens played in a string quartet. My mother played no musical instruments.

My generation: There's me on guitar, banjo (tenor and 5-string, mostly clawhammer and a bit of bluegrass), Irish bouzouki and a little bit of mandolin, plus trombone in high school. My late wife played clarinet in high school, but nothing in her adult life.

Youngers: My son plays no musical instruments. My daughter played flute in high school, though she has not done so in recent years due to work pressures. She also has a great voice and sang in choir and madrigal during high school. My current son-in-law plays fretless electric bass.

Crikey! Me and my daughter and son-in-law could make a pretty impressive band, if I could afford to move to their location in Virginia, but it's not economically feasible at present.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

My cats have always liked the cases.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Thankfully, my wife

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion