The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 PM

I have two Larrivee 00 12 fret guitars.
1) 00-40m which is spruce over mahogany with modified Scalloped top bracing and open gear tuners.
2) 00-03MT which is all mahogany top, back, and sides, with closed gear Gotoh tuners.
Both 00 Size and identical in size but the hog body is a touch deeper.
Fret markers, body binding, headstock, bridge pins, and a few other cosmetics are different.
They are set up exactly the same and play the same But the major difference
is the sound. Both noticeably different from each other. As different as a mahogany topped guitar and a spruce guitar can.
Yes, I do have several other guitars in several sizes as well but these are the two I play most when at home.

Blues
Old 02-16-2020, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Great thread! Provides support and rationalization when my lovely wife asks "do you really need another guitar"?, or "don't you already have one of those"? -- The 'ole "everyone's doing it" argument. For me, variety is the thing, but others may have a different focus. It's all good! Whatever your preference, play and enjoy them all !
Old 02-16-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I've currently got 3 OM/000's in my stable. Simple logic would dictate that I really don't need 3 of the same style guitar. So it got me thinking. Do you guys have multiples of the same guitar with slight differences, or do you choose others for different body shapes/scale, etc?
I own 5 of the original Dreadnought Juniors does that count?😂
Old 02-16-2020, 08:51 PM

Like some in here said, buy what you like....but...

With the few guitar purchases I plan to make, I will generally try to bring in an element I don’t already have...A cutaway I don’t have, a tone wood I don’t have, a pickup I don’t have, a size I don’t have...To me it is only practical, and making sense...

Buying copies of the same thing will only feed GAS...because you’ll have more reason to look for something you don’t already have...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-17-2020, 02:47 AM

Me personally - I like significant differences between my instruments. That said, I think I have too many (19). Currently no duplication in my mandolin-family instruments, guitars or fiddles. I'd still like to get a sweet sounding spider bridge resonator guitar. I also don't currently have a straight ahead bluegrass flattop box.

I'll never own multiple versions of the same body size, soundhole shape and number/type of strings.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

3 dreads and one on the way, but each is deferent. So I don’t consider it having multiples of the same style of guitar. Whether it’s wood combos or bracing variations, each are unique to me

Same with 2 OMs I have
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-17-2020, 05:00 PM

I play mahogany dreads only and have four of them. Of course logic would dictate that I only need one but then what on Earth does logic or need have to do with it.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:11 PM

I have three dreads...one mahogany/spuce, one maple/spruce, one rosewood/spruce. If I ever get a slope shoulder one of them may go away.

Maybe...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:55 PM

I have 2 auditorium size guitars that are similar. A Taylor 414 spruce/ovangkol and an Orpheum rosewood/spruce. I got the Orpheum (an old Tacoma Indonesian Guitar ...not the recent Guild model)at a going out of business sale as a back up for the Taylor. Although they look similar the Orpheum is 1/2” deeper and sounds different. My grandson now has my Tacoma parlor, and I have a nice classical and an antique archtop. And there is the Martin D-15 mahogany. They are all different and variety is nice. The two auditoriums are the closest, but used differently.
So no I really don’t think I have two of the same guitar, but really all I need is the Orpheum and the classical. Of course I now have GAS for a slope shoulder mahogany dred.
Ah, a boy and his toys![emoji57][emoji28]
Old 02-17-2020, 06:07 PM

It totally depends on what kind of "differences" you're focused on. Why not have multiple OMs made with different tone woods, different construction? The more the merrier. I see no reason why not.

However, as for me, I love my OM so much it's my only guitar at this point. If I could afford another guitar at that level, I'd probably go for something as different as possible, like an arch top or a classical guitar, both of which are awesome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion