The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2020, 09:11 AM

Default Can you put K&K Pure Mini to an already piezzo-equipped guitar?

I have Yamaha CPX500II with a factory preamp and undersaddle piezzo - wihout taking the preamp out (which would leave an ugly hole), can you put K&K Pure Mini, (or some other) pickup?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:39 AM

Yes, easy peasy. Just drill a second end pin jack hole in the tail block, about halfway between the existing one (which is usually centered on the tail block) and the back of the guitar. Then install the new pickup into the new hole. With this set-up you can choose which pickup to use by which jack you use.

If I owned a 50 year old vintage Martin I wouldn’t do this. But a reasonably priced, recent vintage “player’s instrument?” Sure, no worries, mod it up.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Yes, easy peasy. Just drill a second end pin jack hole in the tail block, about halfway between the existing one (which is usually centered on the tail block) and the back of the guitar. Then install the new pickup into the new hole. With this set-up you can choose which pickup to use by which jack you use.

If I owned a 50 year old vintage Martin I wouldn’t do this. But a reasonably priced, recent vintage “player’s instrument?” Sure, no worries, mod it up.
Thanks. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm not satisfied with the amplified tone of Yamaha, but I like the guitar itself. I would leave the Yamaha pickup only for the handy Tuner (and perhaps as a second sound source, but I doubt it), so I might even use the existing pin jack hole on the tail block for K&K.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:00 AM

The tuner design might require the UST to be operational, so if you want to be sure you can still use the tuner, then you might consider to leave the existing system intact.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
The tuner design might require the UST to be operational, so if you want to be sure you can still use the tuner, then you might consider to leave the existing system intact.
Yes, I would leave the under-saddle piezzo strip intact, I might only remove the tail end jack so K&K can go in its place. That surely won't bother the tuner to maintain its work?
Old 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM

It might interfere with the power circuitry. Most endpin jacks also function as an on-off switch for the preamp. Plug in a cord, the preamp switches on. Unplug, it switches off. If it's switched on, battery is draining.

Whether disconnecting all of that messes with the tuner function, I don't know. Somebody with stronger knowledge of circuits than me would have to comment.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:49 PM

Yes, of course. It won't interfere with anything. Many of my guitars have separate dual pickup systems in them. An active may work better for some situations and a passive for others. Additionally, you can use both at the same time and have the two systems EQ'd differently. You can delay one and sound like two guitars are playing together. Two pickup systems give you wonderful control of your output. You can use one jack or two. I generally prefer two. Both of these happen to have a K&K combined with a passive system.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 02-12-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
...I would leave the Yamaha pickup only for the handy Tuner (and perhaps as a second sound source, but I doubt it), so I might even use the existing pin jack hole on the tail block for K&K.
As mentioned, the tuner may not work unless you're plugged into that system. I'd get a $10-15 clip on (and off) Snark tuner and go ahead and run the K&K thorugh the existing end pin jack.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification