The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2020, 02:36 PM

your asking about a 12 fret ( other than a parlour or a Dread )
not really all that familiar with that - thou i own several parlours and a dread -
The dread is a hand built and its one of my two favorite guitars -
I have played a Martin 12 fret OM back several years ago ( 2006 ),
when i was looking for a new guitar - but though the 14 fret OM28v
was a much better instrument - so it came home with me.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Thanks 62 burst - I hope you could understand my speech - as I was still very much recovering from throat cancer treatment which affected my mouth and throat quite a lot.
Absolutely. Hope you're feeling better.
Also- that Harmony 12'er at the end of the video brought a smile- Walk Right In was the first song I heard as a kid that I recognized as a 12 string from the recording... turns out there were two 12 strings playing!

Re: the D'Add/Planet Waves micro tuner- yes, there small... small enough to be forgotten when the guitar goes back in the case, and on nitro', this can happen:

OP content: Yes, 12 frets play differently, the 12 fret Gibson Advanced Jumbo feels as comfy as a short scale instrument, but with the AJ attributes.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

OP here -- Some have asked for specifics about this guitar. According to Larrivee this guitar is a stock OM-09 with custom 12 fret scale length (24-3/4"). Larrivee also wrote "I have no idea how many would have been made but safe to say not a whole lot".

Appreciate everyone's input as I learn more and more about this fine instrument.

Pics attached.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 092.jpg (24.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 093.jpg (38.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 091.jpg (27.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-12-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62burst View Post
Absolutely. Hope you're feeling better.
Also- that Harmony 12'er at the end of the video brought a smile- Walk Right In was the first song I heard as a kid that I recognized as a 12 string from the recording... turns out there were two 12 strings playing!

Re: the D'Add/Planet Waves micro tuner- yes, there small... small enough to be forgotten when the guitar goes back in the case, and on nitro', this can happen:

OP content: Yes, 12 frets play differently, the 12 fret Gibson Advanced Jumbo feels as comfy as a short scale instrument, but with the AJ attributes.
I keep my tuners permanently on the headstock of my Collings(es), Martin, Santa Cruz, Waterloo, Harmony, and my Eastmans.
Never had that issue, but if the Nitro finish hasn't been cured properly - then it might well happen.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
I find that my recently acquired 12-fret Larrivee OM-09 (1996) is quite different from any other guitar I've played. It seems to require a "softer" touch to bring out it's true tone beauty and in playing it I continue to learn and hopefully become a better player. It can handle hard strumming, but loses some of that sweet Rosewood tone. This is my 1st 12-fret.

What has your experience been with 12-fret guitars (especially OM or similar body)?

Thanks!
Hi wg

All 12 fret guitars are not created equal in quality, build, setup or tone, so my experiences with them are as varied as they are/were.

I do think it is a mark of your personal growth that you recognize, and are responding to, what this particular guitar requires to sound and play it's best.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

LJ,

Thanks for your comments! Really enjoying the 12-fret and the learning continues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
uit