The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-05-2020, 01:06 PM

Lightbulb 25.5" scale neck needed

I have the body of a Japanese made Guild Madeira in very good condition. The original neck was split down the length and could not be salvaged. I need either a direct replacement or a neck which I could modify / adapt to make an intact, whole guitar. The original neck was attached using a bolt, from the heel through the neck block, with a washer and nut inside the body. There were also four wooden dowels from the heel into the neck block....and a lot of glue. I do have the original, reusable fret board....20 frets, 14th fret at the joint and length from the nut to the end of the board is 18". I could possibly route or chisel a dovetail mortise OR go with a bolt and dowels as the original.
I have other guitars to be playing, so time is not a factor. I just hate to see the body go to waste. And, this project will help me get through the winter here in N.Y.State.

P.S. I'd rather be back near the Russian River rather than here on the
Hudson. It took a while, but I found"Build and Repair".

Thanks, John E-Mail: [email protected]

Last edited by littleboy; 02-05-2020 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Easier to communicate back and forth with e-mail.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:26 PM

IF you are just looking for a project to do then I would suggest you build the whole thing your self from scratch. IF you still have the old one you can model it after that. I would also suggest you do a bolt on neck joint.

Pics would be real helpful but it sounds to me like it was a butt joint that was doweled in place and also had some sort of bolt? If so just make a bolt on butt joint using two bolts like the old Taylor design.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:34 PM

to redir, I may very well have to eventually build a neck, but I am not a pro. I don't know if I have the tools or ability. I did look at some neck blanks from Stu-Mac and LMI, but the cost ($150 to 180) could be more than the worth of a Franken-guitar. There have got to be some busted-up bodies out there with re-usable necks. I would much rather put a match together from parts headed for the landfill.
The bolt-on would be much easier than a dovetail. If I found a neck with a dovetail tenon, cutting it off and making a simple butt joint like the original is always a possibility. The original had the bolt screwed into the heel and extending through the neck block, with a washer and machine thread nut drawn up tight. Plus, four 1/4" wooden dowels in a cross shape pattern, with glue. There was no way it was coming off or even getting loose. The screw piece is called a HANGER BOLT.
Thanks for your interest and comment.
John [email protected]

Last edited by littleboy; 02-05-2020 at 02:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair