The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-13-2019, 07:04 AM

Question Need case for 1930's Kalamazoo KG-21?

I picked up a nice player grade kalamazoo KG-21 on Reverb recently and it has a very unusual size which is proving to be hard to locate a case. It has lower bout of 14 5/8", upper bout of 10 1/4", body length of 39 1/2" and about 40" overall length. The tricky part is with the top and bottom arch, plus the bridge, it is almost 6" thick.

Luckily, I happened to have the original case they sold for this guitar from a regal reso I got a while back, it had a receipt inside the old case from the 30's that had the original (cheap) price for a KG-21 and the case, which I thought was very cool. But that case does not hold humidity well and hoping I can figure out a better case that will keep the KG-21 humid and provide better protection than the old vintage case. I live in SW US desert, so humidity is a big deal.

I do not have a whole lot into the guitar and hoping I can find a case for less than the guitar cost me, lol. Maybe I can make a liner for the old case that will hold humidity better? Any ideas out there?
Old 04-19-2019, 06:33 AM

I’d call an online dealer in cases and ask them - e.g., Elderly, Sweetwater. I’d also try calling vintage dealers known for archtops like archtop.com and Retrofret.

Best of luck. I have a KG-31 and love it. Amazing for slide.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Tags
kalamazoo, kg-21