The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 PM

Default New Fishman Pickups

Fishman will release a new Matrix Infinity design with a tweaked voicing, new preamp casing, new controls design. It’s call the Matrix Infinity VT.

They are also releasing a Matrix Infinity Blend with a small capsule mic that is positioned at the back of the sound hole, at the intersection of the X brace. A second wheel control is supplied for blending in the mic.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Fishman will release a new Matrix Infinity design with a tweaked voicing, new preamp casing, new controls design. It’s call the Matrix Infinity VT.

They are also releasing a Matrix Infinity Blend with a small capsule mic that is positioned at the back of the sound hole, at the intersection of the X brace. A second wheel control is supplied for blending in the mic.
This is exciting. About time. Looking forward to it.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 AM

Waiting to hear some A-B comparisons with predecessor
Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Waiting to hear some A-B comparisons with predecessor

My suspicion is that the two Matrix only pickups (new and old) will sound nearly identical. Their marketing suggests that the EQ voicings are more subtle since everyone has flat response gear these days.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:40 AM

Good to know. I was planning to get the Matrix system for my guitar to use with the Tonedexter. I think I will wait for this newer version though. The new positioning of the mic is a good choice. Their old goose neck mic set up was terrible. Pretty unusable.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Good to know. I was planning to get the Matrix system for my guitar to use with the Tonedexter. I think I will wait for this newer version though. The new positioning of the mic is a good choice. Their old goose neck mic set up was terrible. Pretty unusable.

Unfortunately, we don’t know if the new placement is going to be any better. I don’t think I want to be one of the guinea pigs for this new system. So, I’m going to wait until the reviews are in before I decide if I want to give it a try.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Unfortunately, we don’t know if the new placement is going to be any better. I don’t think I want to be one of the guinea pigs for this new system. So, I’m going to wait until the reviews are in before I decide if I want to give it a try.
Oh I don't think it's going to be anything revolutionary. I also won't be trying it as I have never liked the UST/internal mic set up. I just find that at least with this system, there's no goose neck. Mine used to move around a lot. There was no stability.

I guess if you want to hear how it will sound, you could look at the Dtar wavelength multi source pickup. I am pretty sure that the mic placement was pretty similar on that one. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Oh I don't think it's going to be anything revolutionary. I also won't be trying it as I have never liked the UST/internal mic set up. I just find that at least with this system, there's no goose neck. Mine used to move around a lot. There was no stability.

I guess if you want to hear how it will sound, you could look at the Dtar wavelength multi source pickup. I am pretty sure that the mic placement was pretty similar on that one. I could be wrong though.

LOL. That’s what I have already. :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification