The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 10-28-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I’m a fan of a 24.9 scale with a 1.75 nut!
I went and played some 24.9 guitars and love how it sweetens the tone. Unfortunately a 1 11/16 (according to link in market place) is too narrow for my wide fingers, so I'll have to keep looking. However many people love that nut and width. It's almost impossible to find anything bigger on a stock electric guitar. It should appeal to many people and at an awesome price to! I hope it draws in many new players so we can see even more HG.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Unfortunately a 1 11/16 (according to link in market place) is too narrow for my wide fingers, so I'll have to keep looking. However many people love that nut and width.
That is unfortunate indeed. I've been doing this for over 10 years now and every time I talk someone into building spec harp guitars we run into the same problem. I pick a nominal width and still it excludes many customers. That's why people custom order $10-20k instruments. But I'm finding more and more players out there at every level just accepting and dealing with this issue. In fact, vintage Dyer player Don Alder just got outfitted with our "skinny-neck" Timberline prototype. Me, I'm not that skilled - I stick with 1-7/8" and up (vintage Dyers and pro copies). Down the road I hope to offer a wider neck.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I went and played some 24.9 guitars and love how it sweetens the tone. Unfortunately a 1 11/16 (according to link in market place) is too narrow for my wide fingers, so I'll have to keep looking.
Unlike some fingerstyle players, I don't really have an issue with a 1.69" vs a 1.75" nut width once the guitar has had a good setup with a very minor change to the nut. My Larrivee J-09 is the oldest guitar I have and it's a 1.69" width (nominally anyway, it's actually just a hair wider). If you can live with a little less edge of the neck real estate (depends a lot on how the ends of the frets are dressed and on how you play) then you can decrease the usual 1/8" edge to string center distance down to 7/64" (a difference of just 0.015" on each side) and gain 0.03" on the string spacing. For me the difference between the usual 1.5" string spacing on a 1.75" nut and the 1.47" string spacing that is possible on a 1.69" nut doesn't really feel any different.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM

I found a clip of Don Alder playing a Timberline HG, seems like this is the final release model. From his facebook.

Sounds pretty good to me!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:51 PM

Uh oh, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist that temptation... will have to see what things look like once taxes are done.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
Uh oh, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist that temptation... will have to see what things look like once taxes are done.
Speaking of taxes... Anyone getting a return of a grand or more now has TWO Timberline options.
The first 20 are now out in the field, the entry-level T20HGc is IN STOCK, and the beautiful new T60HGc (shown below) is on the way!
Read the growing list of testimonials:
http://www.harpguitarmusic.com/listi...timberline.htm
Old 05-10-2018, 02:02 PM

Gregg,
To be 'that guy', is it possible to get one left-handed for a not-outrageous premium? At the moment I can barely handle 6 strings but I've been intrigued by harp guitars since stumbling across players on youtube.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfrantz View Post
Gregg, is it possible to get one left-handed for a not-outrageous premium?

Sorry, just saw this post (always email me if you want a quick response).

Yes, the plant says they're willing, yes, there would be a premium - the main thing would probably be wait time (once deposit received). Rob/Timberline hasn't come up with a firm option yet, but if one is serious, we can discuss privately and get the ball rolling.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:40 PM

Timberline-models-10-18.jpg

Hello all. Just checking in after another great Harp Guitar Gathering 2 weekends ago. Again, many players were able to shop and compare everything from high end to entry level instruments. As with Jamie Dupuis' YouTube comparison video ("BATTLE BETWEEN 3 HARP GUITARS" - essential listening!), the Emeralds, Tonedevils and Timberlines were passed around so folks could see, feel and hear their differences (thanks to their owners for the privilege!). All remain popular. We've now sold over 60 Timberlines, and that's just since January. Rob plans to show up to 4 models at the next NAMM - here are the first 3 (please excuse my back yard shots): the original mahogany satin-finish T20, the gorgeous glossy acacia T60, and the brand new glossy silkwood T70. As for that one, it'll be $200 more than the T60, weighs a bit more (denser wood) and is a bit louder and darker (warm). Soon to come a T30 which will be like the T20 but with arm bevel and glossy finish. Once again, we're essentially out of stock. I would recommend deposits, as we can't seem to make these fast enough for demand.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 AM

There were a few of these at the gathering including my T60 (middle model in Greg's photo) that I am very happy with. Everyone who played my T60 (including a few of the better players) was impressed with that bang for the buck that it offers.

About ten years ago when I first became interested in harp guitar there were zero good options under 5-8k. Now there are many good options under 3k, including mine (under 2k), and one under 1k. Harp guitars are amazing, and quality instruments are much more accessible than at any other time in history.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar