The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Default Guitalele vs Ukelele — fret size

I am interested in getting a ukelele, rather than a Guitalele...but I have only tried the Guitalele and hated it because the frets were way too small for my long fingers and traditional guitar chord shapes.

My question: are ukelele frets larger than those on the Guitalele? But I also realize chords are much simpler on a ukelele so that’s why I’m not quite as concerned about the fret size issue.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 AM

I am not sure this is generalizable. There is a lot of variation from one manufacturer to another and among the various models. Try to find a store that has a bigger selection and you will find one that has a neck and frets that you like.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:39 PM

The string spacing on the guitalele is narrow. I find it uncomfortable, ymmv, ukulele spacing is not.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=LNW;5530621
My question: are ukelele frets larger than those on the Guitalele? But I also realize chords are much simpler on a ukelele so that’s why I’m not quite as concerned about the fret size issue.[/QUOTE]

Different sized ukuleles have different scale lengths. You probably want a baritone which generally have approximately 20" scale. They also are tuned the same as the bottom 4 strings on a guitar. Ideally, if there is a store near you that carries a decent range of sizes and quality, then you could determine what feels comfortable.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:18 PM

I've got a peavey composer guitalele and have no problem playing it. Considering I've got big hands. Lol.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 PM

Size of ukulele, sop/concert/baritone, imho, doesn’t really matter in relation to hand size. Many big handed people are very comfortable with soprano , and many small with baritone . Personally am comfortable with a 1-⅞” nut width on a baritone (26” scale)12 string, and prefer soprano ukulele. Again, opinion. Try them. You may start with a bigger size as it more closely resembles what you’re already use to, or you may find a breath of fresh air with a smaller size. Who knows?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments