The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 AM

Default E8D vs BR-160A vs MD60BG

Hey Everyone,

I did a prepay on a Alvarez MD60BG, but it's fully refundable until it ships in a few weeks. I've played this model, and really like it. Sounds great, butter neck, etc.

I currently own an Eastman E6OM, which is all solid spruce top and hog b/s.

The Alvarez MD60BG has the same tonewoods.

Since my Alvarez isn't a done deal yet, I've still been looking at other guitars just to see what's out there, and found two great deals. I ran across an Eastman E8D (Sunburst) for $800, and a Blueridge BR-160A for $900. Both guitars are only 2 years old, and in great condition.

***If anyone has an E8D they'd like to sell, let me know***

I know I'm all over the place, and I'm being wishy washy, but now I don't know what to do now!

It would be cool for me to add a rosewood guitar to my stable, but the Alvarez is $200 to $300 cheaper and I already know that I love that guitar. All three have a hardshell case.

What would you guys do? I realize the Blueridge is Adi top, so I know that is a bit different from the other two Sitka tops.

Pics are attached for all 3 models.

Cheers,
Jordan

Last edited by SasquatchLife; 09-18-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:57 AM

Default E8D vs BR-160A vs MD60BG

I’m an Eastman fan, but have heard nothing but great things on the Alvarez. I think a dread will be tonally different from the OM already regardless of tone woods. As much as you know you’d like the Alvarez, I’d stick with that and consider rosewood down the road. I’m also a mahogany guy though, so if the desire for rosewood overrides other considerations go for it.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I’m an Eastman fan, but have heard nothing but great things on the Alvarez. I think a dread will be tonally different from the OM already regardless of tone woods. As much as you know you’d like the Alvarez, I’d stick with that and consider rosewood down the road. I’m also a mahogany guy though, so if the desire for rosewood overrides other considerations go for it.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-18-2020, 12:35 PM

Haven't played either, BUT, I had been wrestling with this exact issue for a while myself. E8D or MD60BG. In the end, I have landed on, eh, why not both? Cover the mahogany and rosewood bases. They're cheap enough that getting one and then saving up for the other won't take too long (at least, that's how it goes in my head)...
Old 09-18-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post
Haven't played either, BUT, I had been wrestling with this exact issue for a while myself. E8D or MD60BG. In the end, I have landed on, eh, why not both? Cover the mahogany and rosewood bases. They're cheap enough that getting one and then saving up for the other won't take too long (at least, that's how it goes in my head)...
So, did you buy both already or still thinking about it?
Old 09-18-2020, 12:45 PM

I haven't played the Alverez, but I've owned an E8D for about 10 years and have felt no need for any other rosewood dread. I have had several players better than me ask to play it and comment favorably. That sunburst is a beauty at a great price.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbock View Post
I haven't played the Alverez, but I've owned an E8D for about 10 years and have felt no need for any other rosewood dread. I have had several players better than me ask to play it and comment favorably. That sunburst is a beauty at a great price.
That's what everyone seems to say about the E8D. It just seems like a great one. I just bought a new $900 Eastman back in April, and my wife already approved the $600 Alvarez. So, the challenge now is telling her "hey I wanna spend another $200" lol. She's pretty cool though and wouldn't care probably
Old 09-18-2020, 01:28 PM

***Update***

The Blueridge just sold, so now it comes down to the Eastman or Alvarez.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:48 PM

E8D has a few minor blemishes.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Who cares about those small marks, that stuff will happen. Plus it's on the side. I have an E8D and it's a fine guitar. I've not played the Alvarez. The Eastman has a fat neck, at least the one I have does so that's something to keep in mind. I'm sure the Alvarez is pretty skinny.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Who cares about those small marks, that stuff will happen. Plus it's on the side. I have an E8D and it's a fine guitar. I've not played the Alvarez. The Eastman has a fat neck, at least the one I have does so that's something to keep in mind. I'm sure the Alvarez is pretty skinny.
Yeah, the marks don't bother me. Yeah, the Alvarez has a thin neck. Has a soft V neck from 1st to 5th fret and then transitions to a C neck. Most comfortable neck I've ever played. It just makes you want to play
Old 09-18-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchLife View Post
So, did you buy both already or still thinking about it?
Sadly I have not yet purchased either. But I was unaware that E8Ds came in burst, so now I have something else to look out for. Quite nice looking!
Old 09-18-2020, 03:32 PM

Seller offered the E8D to me for $719. Dang, now this decision is hard.

One on hand I can get a brand new Alvarez MD60BG for $600 with a pro setup. I already know the guitar is great.

Or, a used Eastman E8D for $720 and a few blemishes.

These decisions are tough!
Old 09-18-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post
Sadly I have not yet purchased either. But I was unaware that E8Ds came in burst, so now I have something else to look out for. Quite nice looking!
Yeah, it's a nice finish. That's for sure
Old 09-18-2020, 03:36 PM

I bet you can't guess which one I'd pick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion