The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2020, 10:33 AM

Default Andy & Alex on youtube

I don’t know if you guys have seen these guys on YouTube yet.

The premise is two college students-one a little geeky and the other like a total headbanger-listening to great, iconic classic rock songs from the past. They put headphones on and head nod and shout comments at each other as the song plays and then comment afterwards on what they've heard....usually referring to “wow, the dude can really play guitar” or “man, I love how the drums come in“.

The hook is they claim all the songs are being heard for the very first time in their lives. Seriously?

You’ve reached college age and have never heard classic rock songs like (small sample):
  • Won’t Get Fooled Again;
  • Can’t Find My Way Home;
  • Funk #49:
  • Black Water;
  • The Chain:
  • Turn the Page;
  • Running with the Devil;
  • Sultans of Swing;
  • More than a Feeling (link below).

I’m oldish and cynical, but really? How have you never heard the most played and recognizable songs EVER?

I’m also a Capitalist, so credit to them. They have upped their game with an A&A logo and you can buy their merchandise on line. So good on ‘em!

I’m grateful I have raised my adult children to know and love all the music from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. And if these videos, authentic or not, introduce others to great music, then why not. (But I’m still skeptical!)

https://youtu.be/-IncDzzCDQo
Old 09-20-2020, 07:08 AM

It’s nice to see that perspective, but what I’d really like is to see a father or grandfather sitting beside a son or grandson and offer their perspective in what the song means to them and how life was when it was released.

Btw, I wonder how many copyright strikes they’re getting?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Kids don’t listen to the radio and never have. They grew up with Spotify and Pandora, and listen to what other kids listen to. They don’t listen to classic rock, it’s not even in their periphery, it’s just background noise.

If it wasn’t in a Marvel movie soundtrack, their dad isn’t pumping it in the car, and it’s more than 30 years old, forget it.

Which is totally fine. Time moves on.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:04 AM

Ahh yes...absolutes, my favorite.
To say kids “ don’t and never have”listened to the radio is IMHO a gross generalization. C’mon man, my grandson is 19 and he listens and has listened to classic rock and country in his car all the time in addition to the music services. True, it’s old school and maybe the majority don’t listen to radio much...maybe.
You might be surprised at how many do listen to classic rock on the radio today, I was. This current generation has a segment who are very retro 70’s and 80’s and a lot of them are looking for “real music” played by “real people” using “real instruments.”
To the OP,
There are a bunch of these “first time ever heard this song” folks on You Tube.
Here’s one:

My cynical side has a difficult time believing that these folks have never heard these songs before, especially ones like “More Than A Feeling.”
If you ever even infrequently listened to classic rock, the odds are you would hear it.
In any case, if it is for real it’s cool, but as I said there are a bunch of these.
I’m a You Tube Music freak. There is a lot of stuff on You Tube...a lot.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 09-20-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:19 AM

You can flip it and ask us if we have ever heard the most popular songs on the radio right now. I bet most of us haven't.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-21-2020, 05:09 AM

This is almost as fake as the moon landing.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
This is almost as fake as the moon landing.
That’s because these kids are striving to be Internet famous. YouTube actually has its own culture with an awards ceremony and everything. There are people who get to walk the red carpet and get paid endorsements to do product reviews.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:51 AM

I just realized I don’t believe most of the stuff people I know tell me, let alone people I don’t know.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-21-2020, 07:06 AM

I believe it. I've talked with several coworkers (college graduates) that want to learn acoustic guitar and love acoustic guitar music. But they've never heard of America, James Taylor, Jackson Brown, etc. As robj144 points out, I've not heard of many of the musicians they are interested in. I view it as an opportunity for each of us to expand our horizons.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Ahh yes...absolutes, my favorite.
To say kids “ don’t and never have”listened to the radio is IMHO a gross generalization. C’mon man, my grandson is 19 and he listens and has listened to classic rock and country in his car all the time in addition to the music services. True, it’s old school and maybe the majority don’t listen to radio much...maybe.
You might be surprised at how many do listen to classic rock on the radio today, I was. This current generation has a segment who are very retro 70’s and 80’s and a lot of them are looking for “real music” played by “real people” using “real instruments.”
To the OP,
There are a bunch of these “first time ever heard this song” folks on You Tube.
Here’s one:

My cynical side has a difficult time believing that these folks have never heard these songs before, especially ones like “More Than A Feeling.”
If you ever even infrequently listened to classic rock, the odds are you would hear it.
In any case, if it is for real it’s cool, but as I said there are a bunch of these.
I’m a You Tube Music freak. There is a lot of stuff on You Tube...a lot.
Of course it's a generalization and I'm sure kids exist who listen to classic rock. The older they are I would say the more they would trend that way, and "kids" is a pretty loose term. College will change things. My experience is with kids who are in high school right now.

The point is that radio and music consumption is nothing like it was for us, and they don't get exposed...for the overwhelming majority... to music programmed for them like we did. They are much more enabled to pick their own path. I have never met a kid who had a radio or listened to one, the only place they hear our music is on road trips and half the time they have their headphones on so they don't have to listen to music they don't like. Just like we did in the 80's with Walkmen.

Sure, they might have heard it before, and sure this is a bit of a put on. But I'm also sure they know this music about as well as I know the Andrews Sisters. Yeah I've heard of them and I saw my mom's albums, but I don't know the songs. I can't help but wonder if the shock that kids don't know these songs is simply a generation who thinks their music was the be-all-end-all and everyone has heard it. It wasn't, and they probably haven't.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Of course it's a generalization and I'm sure kids exist who listen to classic rock. The older they are I would say the more they would trend that way, and "kids" is a pretty loose term. College will change things. My experience is with kids who are in high school right now.

The point is that radio and music consumption is nothing like it was for us, and they don't get exposed...for the overwhelming majority... to music programmed for them like we did. They are much more enabled to pick their own path. I have never met a kid who had a radio or listened to one, the only place they hear our music is on road trips and half the time they have their headphones on so they don't have to listen to music they don't like. Just like we did in the 80's with Walkmen.
Not true. Many music execs are now pushing these vintage songs and they are being played on television shows or being suggested for auditions on shows like American Idol. Also, are you familiar with Spotify? It is very easy to stream a song just by asking a smart device to do so.

If anything, these kids have already been turned on to this music and are looking to influence their generation by pandering on social media for a bit of fame.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I’m quite familiar with Spotify. I’m around kids all the time, they use Spotify to...listen to whatever they want. It ain’t classic rock. Again, that’s a generalization, surely there are exceptions. Yes, they are exposed to it in commercials and some tv shows...but... they fast forward the commercials and in shows it’s background.

Not sure why this is controversial. It’s an entirely new music landscape they have grown up with.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I've felt a bit of suspicion watching those things, too (and other similar acts on YouTube). I'm teaching my 25 year old to play guitar and not having to go to any of her generation's favorites (that I don't listen to). She's sufficiently familiar with CCR, Ben E. King, Skynyrd, Foo Fighters, Boston, Beatles, Green Day, Petty, Queen, Eagles, John Denver, Buffet, Elton John, Bowie, Steve Miller, Floyd, Cash, Croce, etc., that we have plenty to work on. They've been around all her life - radio, itunes (et al), video games, TV commercials, sporting events - everywhere.

So seeing adults online unfamiliar with Bohemian Rhapsody (for instance), or Zep, tends to stretch credibility, in my world anyhow.

On a related topic sort of, I'm not teaching her Cowboy Song (Thin Lizzy) quite yet, but I did show her the descending major and minor barre chords in the chorus as an example. She hadn't heard it before, but she loved the riffs and left here humming them. I explained that's the Boys Are Back In Town band and got "Oh yeah, those guys!"

With that said, it's hard to believe so many iconic tunes are unknown to so many people who're that big in social media. Unless, of course, they were cloistered away in a Tibetan monastery while they amassed view counts in the millions.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-23-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Yes, I’m quite familiar with Spotify. I’m around kids all the time, they use Spotify to...listen to whatever they want. It ain’t classic rock. Again, that’s a generalization, surely there are exceptions. Yes, they are exposed to it in commercials and some tv shows...but... they fast forward the commercials and in shows it’s background.

Not sure why this is controversial. It’s an entirely new music landscape they have grown up with.
Some of us just don’t agree with you. It’s a big world out here.
The musical landscape kids have grown up with is quite large and some of them are exploring it. Maybe or maybe not on the radio.
In fact, I have found many of them are quite a bit more open to old school than some of us were at their age. My next door neighbor’s son loves classic rock and is learning to play guitar. He told me he and many of his buds love a lot of the stuff from the sixties and seventies.
Perhaps our experiences are different. You are proposing as if your own experiences represent the definitive be all and end all about this. With all due respect, Im around and have been around kids a lot myself, high school and college. I find things to be different than you describe.
Not sure why you choose to label others‘ experiences or views that aren’t the same as yours, “controversial”.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 09-23-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:50 PM

The thing I keep thinking of is that we're discussing that kids should know "our" music but how many of us know "their" music?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic