The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-28-2020, 01:58 AM

Default What to buy next ? Guitar/Amp/Other

Hi All,

I don’t even know if i am posting in the right section, as i have a very broad question, relating to a few pieces of gear, or WHAT TO BUY NEXT? (Amp/Guitar or Nothing)

Apologies in advance for the lengthy thread.

I Have been stalking the forums for many months, reading all the threads.

About me :

Experience : 4-5 months (Zero musical family or musical background) wife is an intermediate piano player, and very good singer.
Musical genre : everything and i mean everything, if you YouTube Kfir Ochaion, that would be my current “idol”, i have no preconceived ideas of reaching his level, but his scope of music and how he plays, is what inspires me the most.

Aspiration - Proficient bedroom player, maybe record for fun. If i happen to find jam sessions then maybe when i am confident enough will join some like minded individuals.

I love acoustic and electric equally.

Practice wise i have a 30min private lesson weekly, of which i dedicate 45-60min to daily to practice

I aim for 30-45 min Justin guitar music theory

And then an additional 45-60 min guitar tricks

I aim for a minimum of 30min a day on a bad day and 3 hours on a good day, hoping to average 90-120min a day from now.

I have no idea why i felt you needed to know all that, maybe therapy for me just typing it all out. I am extremely passionate and no problem in investing in something, after i know i have put in some time, and even through all the frustration, i still love everything about it.

Ok i have a GAS problem, i am not even going to apologize for it, i have as much fun researching gear, buying gear, as i do playing it. It just is what it is.

Current gear :

Ibanez AEW400 acoustic bought new and full set up done
Yamaha FGX830 bought new and full set up done

Epiphone Les PAUL STANDARD Pro bought new and full set up done
My only electric

Orange 35rt SS Amp
Boss ME-80 multi effects pedals
Scarlet 2i2 interface with MacBook Pro
JBL 305 Monitor speakers
Yamaha H8 headphones

So what to get next to appease my GAS Syndrome.

I am looking at :

American professional Stratocaster (new, great price)
Or
American professional Tele (New, Great price)

Or i can concentrate on amps.

There is a great deal on a VOX AC15C1 and Vox AC15HW at the moment. Open to suggestions, I don’t have the ear to be a snob about tube vs SS vs modeling.

So i am trying to see whether to snap up an amp,and or a guitar.

I don’t have massive gear aspirations (i am probably lying) But i think i will be happy with (Wish list):

Gibson les Paul
Fender American Strat
Fender American Tele
Gibson E355

Martin D15
Martin D18
Martin HD28
Taylor Mini GS Koa edition

Maybe 2 amps

And then the nice stuff when i am way more technically educated and more proficient in guitar, to look at a Kemper etc.

But that’s the dream set up for me.

Budget wise i could probably stretch an amp and one guitar (on the electric side)
Old 08-28-2020, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF and best wishes with your gear acquisition....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-28-2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Welcome to AGF and best wishes with your gear acquisition....
Appreciate the warm welcome, been loving reading AGF daily
Old 08-28-2020, 03:51 AM

It's really up to you of course, but the second electric is probably more bang for the buck in the fun factor for you at the moment.

It's a toss up between a Stratocaster or a Telecaster. As you've already predicted, you'll want (at least) one of each!

If you're happy with the amp which for what you are saying you're up to, it's probably just fine for now.

Either way,,, it's all fun and enjoyment so follow your heart.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:11 AM

Welcome aboard!

GAS is something we've all experienced to some extent and we've all got our own tastes and personal stories to tell.

And since you asked, no bad decision with either of the Fender guitars you mentioned, but if I had to choose, the Stratocaster wins in terms of versatility. (I own both Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster and I stand by my statement that everyone should own a Stratocaster at least once in their lifetime).

As for amps, I believe that owning a solid state amp and a low watt tube amp for home purposes gives players the best of both worlds. (Fender for me, although I've come around to the sound of Vox amps somewhat). You already have your Orange amp and only you can say whether it's what you like and whether it's enough.

Good luck!

Last edited by Steel and wood; 08-28-2020 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:54 AM

Thank you rmp and Steel and Wool,

I know this starts at my fingers and ends by my ears, i have tried to make sure i addressed my musical education (Lessons in person, some basic music theory, and online courses for a bit extra variety) and practice first.

i was a bit concerned about being all GAS and Guitars, and blowing the budget, while missing out on other key areas in between. The Strat was my 1st personal choice as well, its a given i will own one, and i wanted to own the Fender first before maybe branching out into PRS and such. Same with a Tele.

Not having grown up in this world, amps have been the most nerve wracking to me, researching them only makes it worse lol

I haven’t as yet come across a bad review or comment about the VOXAC15C1 and the hand wired version is just that touch sweeter. Falls well within budget with the deals i can get (have a good standing with a local shop i support)

I am neither happy nor unhappy with the orange 35rt, as i have no basis on which to complain as yet, i switch it on, and i play terribly and it responds suitably. Lol

Listening to my wife’s brother play my Epi on the orange, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, he has been playing for many years and is a pretty solid intermediate player. So on the rare occasion i get to listen to them jam on my gear, i can see what the future holds, and it’s a very satisfying future i am looking forward too.

My main fear was my own lack of knowledge / experience, paired with overzealous salesman, and buying into redundancy , where money would have been better shuttled elsewhere while i build up, all the odds and ends needed.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:14 AM

I would say keep things simple right now.

There's a lot to be distracted by.

If you're really looking to add another guitar, then put the energy there.

Try a few out, if you take someone along with you (like your brother in-law for example) you can bounce things off him, let him play, while you listen.

Most shops these days are probably happy to have customers. I don't think it's in their best interest to over sell to anyone. It doesn't take much effort to achieve a bad reputation.

Most guys that work in music stores are musicians trying to just make a living between playing gigs, teaching and what ever they get paid at the stores they work at.

They know what they know and they're usually more than willing to help out when needed.

They are not at all like car salesmen or real estate brokers who are desperate to make a sale and get a commission off everything they do and will sell screen doors to a submarine company if they could get away with it.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Welcome, CSB... glad to have you. I'm sure you know that we tend to support the purchase of almost any and all things related to guitar. Enjoy the forum.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB123 View Post
Hi All,

I don’t even know if i am posting in the right section, as i have a very broad question, relating to a few pieces of gear, or WHAT TO BUY NEXT? (Amp/Guitar or Nothing)

Apologies in advance for the lengthy thread.

I Have been stalking the forums for many months, reading all the threads.

About me :

Experience : 4-5 months (Zero musical family or musical background) wife is an intermediate piano player, and very good singer.
Musical genre : everything and i mean everything, if you YouTube Kfir Ochaion, that would be my current “idol”, i have no preconceived ideas of reaching his level, but his scope of music and how he plays, is what inspires me the most.

Aspiration - Proficient bedroom player, maybe record for fun. If i happen to find jam sessions then maybe when i am confident enough will join some like minded individuals.

I love acoustic and electric equally.

Practice wise i have a 30min private lesson weekly, of which i dedicate 45-60min to daily to practice

I aim for 30-45 min Justin guitar music theory

And then an additional 45-60 min guitar tricks

I aim for a minimum of 30min a day on a bad day and 3 hours on a good day, hoping to average 90-120min a day from now.

I have no idea why i felt you needed to know all that, maybe therapy for me just typing it all out. I am extremely passionate and no problem in investing in something, after i know i have put in some time, and even through all the frustration, i still love everything about it.

Ok i have a GAS problem, i am not even going to apologize for it, i have as much fun researching gear, buying gear, as i do playing it. It just is what it is.

Current gear :

Ibanez AEW400 acoustic bought new and full set up done
Yamaha FGX830 bought new and full set up done

Epiphone Les PAUL STANDARD Pro bought new and full set up done
My only electric

Orange 35rt SS Amp
Boss ME-80 multi effects pedals
Scarlet 2i2 interface with MacBook Pro
JBL 305 Monitor speakers
Yamaha H8 headphones

So what to get next to appease my GAS Syndrome.

I am looking at :

American professional Stratocaster (new, great price)
Or
American professional Tele (New, Great price)

Or i can concentrate on amps.

There is a great deal on a VOX AC15C1 and Vox AC15HW at the moment. Open to suggestions, I don’t have the ear to be a snob about tube vs SS vs modeling.

So i am trying to see whether to snap up an amp,and or a guitar.

I don’t have massive gear aspirations (i am probably lying) But i think i will be happy with (Wish list):

Gibson les Paul
Fender American Strat
Fender American Tele
Gibson E355

Martin D15
Martin D18
Martin HD28
Taylor Mini GS Koa edition

Maybe 2 amps

And then the nice stuff when i am way more technically educated and more proficient in guitar, to look at a Kemper etc.

But that’s the dream set up for me.

Budget wise i could probably stretch an amp and one guitar (on the electric side)
Well your in the right place to discuss GAS..... Hi my name is Kev and I have a problem ,,, Welcome to the GAS ward

So putting on my old geezer hat.... "Listen kid, back in my day we were lucky to have even one guitar period"..

But seriously for just starting out you already have a much more impressive gear list, then most us Baby Boomers did until we were 10, 20, or 30 years into playing.

Honestly I think in part you are on the right track specifically the "daily practice" even just 30 min.s will facilitate more towards getting proficient and acquiring experience (which will lead to two major factors)
#1 more enjoyment from playing
#2 a much better understanding of where you might want to go next and more knowledge about any purchases that might better facilitate that direction.

I would take a stop and consider that until you become really proficient, and
understanding the GAS is an acquisition syndrome
That simply buying gear is often going to be a short a lived fix and bandaid solution for a lifelong condition.

So perhaps shelve any purchase for now get a year or two of playing behind you and save up more for new gear

OR

ignoring my suggestion

I would think about a Bugera Tube amp and maybe a good MIM strat

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB123 View Post
...There is a great deal on a VOX AC15C1 and Vox AC15HW at the moment. Open to suggestions, I don’t have the ear to be a snob about tube vs SS vs modeling...

Budget wise i could probably stretch an amp and one guitar (on the electric side)...
Welcome to the forum...

My thoughts:
  • The Vox AC15C1 is a classic all-around amp; if you have a line on a great deal I'd recommend moving on it, and if you have access to an A/B box set it up side-by-side with your Orange solid-state at the same volume level - you'll hear what all the buzz is about when it comes to tube tone, which leads me to:
  • I'm a major fan of the Bugera V-Series amps mentioned above, and if you like the AC15 but also want to tap into some Fender Hot Rod-style mojo a V22 1x12" combo might be a good choice; IME they're a prime example of the old adage that inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean "cheap" - I have a first-edition V22 that's been my workhorse for the last decade, with no signs of quitting - and if you're OK exchanging the tremolo of the AC15 for a switchable OD channel and mid-boost, you could save some money and pick up a whole bunch of tubey-good tones in the process;
  • Continuing on the bang-for-the-buck train of thought, if you're considering a thinline hollowbody I'd strongly recommend checking out one of the Korean-made Gretsch 5400/5600-Series Electromatics (the Chinese stuff doesn't even come close IME); while "That Great Gretsch Sound" isn't everyone's cuppa tea many prominent players built their careers on them, and if you're the kind who thinks a little "outside the box" when it comes to tone one of these might be a good match...
Old 08-28-2020, 11:20 AM

Get a nice Tele - perfect compliment/contrast to your LP.

The Crush 35RT is a highly regarded SS amp. Vox's bring chime and punch with a much smoother distortion than your Crush. However. many consider the Tele/Vox amp to be the perfect marriage. Get the Tele first then consider a Vox. Do not rule out the AC10 - A great amp too and considerably lighter.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
...Vox's bring chime and punch...Do not rule out the AC10 - a great amp too and considerably lighter.
Played one of these about a year ago, using a MIK Gretsch 5622 with Super Hi-lo'Trons...

Dimed the master, set the pre-gain around 9:00, added a little 'verb...

Sounded exactly like the Beatles' first two albums, with surprising volume and headroom (unlike the larger AC amps the twin EL84 power tubes aren't being pushed anywhere near their limits)...

If I didn't already own two tube amps in this general size/power range, I'd have grabbed it on the spot...
Old 08-28-2020, 09:48 PM

I could have written your introduction post almost verbatim about 2 months ago. Lots of similarities between the two of us.

I started with a Martin and a Taylor that I found here on AGF. After a few months I figured it would be fun to have an acoustic amp. Found a nice Vox.

Just like that the spark found gasoline. In a few short months I accumulated the following tube amps; a Fender Princeton, Blues Deluxe, 112 tweed extension cab, a champ, and a Twin Reverb. Oh, and an american strat, a MIM tele, and a double humbucker yamaha (Image MSG). And I'm in hot pursuit of a Gibson.

Modest by the measure of most guys around here who have been at it for years. But it's felt like a drug addiction to me.

So all I can say is brace for the storm. There is no way to avoid it. Tubes and Strings will be landing in your domicile.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:35 AM

As always thank you for taking the time to reply and advise.

I think i browse music shops at least 2-3 times a week, become my new favorite pastime “post COVID”

I have had great assistance from the shops and salesman, must say they quite busy, and stock levels are low.

There seems to be a lot of pre and post COVID pricing, as our exchange rate took a massive beating, and most things are on average 35-40% more expensive. A few guitars still available at pre lockdown prices, and because i have supported them a lot in my venture, they do give me further discounts.

It took a lot of self restraint to post first, instead of rushing out the door. So i take that as GAS progress lol. It has bought me at the very least a few days

I bought the epi first and orange, and was very overwhelmed, i then bought the Ibanez 400 blindly for my lessons, i couldn’t find any reviews really, but man was she gorgeous, and the neck and size was the closest to an electric, she plays just like the electric neck wise. (This was my main reasoning)

But i found her very “bright” quite the opposite of what i viewed as my “sound” (to be honest I didn’t even know what that meant, my worst is when the salesman, says lets grab a lot of amps and guitars and lets jam some and see what you like, i am like, please lets not do that, because right now all i can do is flat pick a single string, badly too) i had a lot of buyers remorse, no good reviews, no one to tell me its a great guitar, as a beginner you kind of need that reassurance.

The revelation came this week, for a long while in lessons, we have concentrated on picking and alternate picking almost exclusively, the last two weeks however, i had my first introduction to finger picking.

At first i was, this is impossible, then it clicked, and i managed to get one section down, then another, my changes are slow, as i try find my placing on the fret board, then all of a sudden it happened, i heard it, i had a smile ear to ear, and i had that epiphany, this , man oh man, THIS is what this Ibanez wanted, soft delicate fingerpicking , it sounded like silk and for the first time .....music... (BEST FEELING EVER)

I got the Yamaha 830, so i could practice on all sizes, so whatever i practice, i repeat on all my guitars everyday. For now I haven’t “bonded” with the Yamaha, I haven’t found a way to make it shine, or hear what i heard when playing that exact tune on the Ibanez, i feel like a bull in a china shop on the Yamaha,that said my luthier is in love with the Yamaha, when i took it in, he was all over it and impressed at how well its made and plays. I am sure the right song will come that i learn eventually.

You can see my love of Martins, i hear a D18 and melt immediately.

Wow that was totally off topic....

I am going to go pop in this morning, much to the wife’s dismay, and go look at the AC15 and AC10 (there is maybe a 100 pound difference between the two in UK currency)

The Bugera range, sadly i cant seem to find locally in SA, i had a quick look online now.

I am going to look at the MIM player and AM professional tele and strat, if memory serves the price difference was around 200 pounds between the new player series and the American made version ~(older stock) the newer ones landing now are almost double that of the MIM.

Watch me come home with a martin 😂 i have browsed many forums, i keep coming back here for the large emphasis on acoustic, i never ever thought i would enjoy it as much as i am currently.

The responses and advice given on threads is incredible, as a newbie, i ask please keep it up, even if you have read the same question 100 times over. As a newbie browsing others threads, your time and effort doesn’t go unnoticed.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:37 AM

Howdy and Welcome aboard

Just a warning... it ever ends.

I basically got into Gibson SGs and Fender Strats. I have a few others in the arsenal, but these two are what I rock with.

Acoustically, I’m to Martin and Yamahas, Ying and Yang if you will.

Anyways, just want to say “Hi” and enjoy the journey!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars