The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-01-2020, 01:31 PM

My short scale 24.6" custom order originally requested only 20 frets. This is exactly how my custom X20-12 was built a couple of years ago, and how the twelve string neck of the Chimaera is done. I find that the full 24-fret extension sometimes gets in the way of my strumming stroke. (My arm drapes over the lower bout in a slightly different position given the arm bevel versus reaching around a squared edge). But the new X20 version puts a scallop on the end of the fret board, so that corner is no longer an issue. They will now build mine with 24 frets as normal. I never use anything above 17 (or rarely 19) anyway, but as long as the fret board extension is not interfering with my right hand there is no downside to having them.

You'd have to confirm if the neck join fret changes. On my twelve string with a 24.6" scale the neck still joins the body at the 14th fret, so it probably doesn't on the six. Captain Jim here reported that going short to 24.6" scale made his X10 into a 13 fret body join. But the X10 is a smaller body than the X20. Either way I doubt there is any problem accessing the highest frets. But these are all good questions to ask Kevin at Emerald.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber