The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 11:49 AM

The only Canadian guitars that I have owned was a Larrivee' OM-03K and several Seagulls (S6, M6, S12 and still have the M6). I have played a few Rayco instruments - regular acoustic and resonator. If I were pondering ever buying another wood guitar, it would likely be something from Halcyon.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:09 PM

It seems like all the guitars I buy are canadian though I live in the US. A couple of Seagull's and several small builders including a Michaud for awhile. Wouldnt you know it, Im starting a build with Russel Crosby, another Canadian.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to add my Larrivee 00-70 to the list. The builder is Canadian although this one was built in the US.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Almost forgot the Halcyon. She's a 12 fret 000...25" scale & 1 13/16 nut. Lutz over Padauk. Sweet and loud.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:30 PM

I think I'm one of the few who still owns a Paragon that I bought from Rob Bustos during his heyday in the early naughts. Cocobolo cedar GOM. A very deep and resonant instrument, also remarkably loud for cedar.

http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...lo_Cedar_3.jpg
http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...lo_Cedar_2.jpg
http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...lo_Cedar_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure he doesn't build anymore, but apparently he has a guitar finishing business to my knowledge.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 08-03-2020, 12:32 PM

"hayday", before someone corrects my spelling again

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 08-03-2020, 01:05 PM

I have had several Larrivees, both Canadian and US made. My favorite remains my Forum III LS-03, a small run OM equivalent 12 fret made in Canada of real Honduran mahogany with Italian spruce top. No pictures but the sound is the real knockout anyway.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Wow, there are some stunning guitars in this thread!

I have two guitars from Canadian one-man operations, and they are very dear to my heart!

The first is from a close friend who builds amazing archtops, it is a Modern Signature 16" archtop from Rancourt Guitars. It qualifies on this forum, since the electric pickup is an afterthought, it is built first and foremost with acoustic performance in mind! It is a wonderfully responsive, world-class instrument, with the bracing hand-carved into the top.

The second is a DR (Dreadnought Rosewood) Morgan, built by David Iannone in Vancouver. An absolutely killer acoustic, with a rich sound and lots of definition! I got it in January and I still am amazed by the sound every time I pick it up to play, my wife must be pretty tired of me saying "did you hear that thing??" by now!
Old 08-03-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Wow there is something about the archtop that just looks cool... Nice looking instruments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliss View Post

I have two guitars from Canadian one-man operations, and they are very dear to my heart!

The first is from a close friend who builds amazing archtops, it is a Modern Signature 16" archtop from Rancourt Guitars. It qualifies on this forum, since the electric pickup is an afterthought, it is built first and foremost with acoustic performance in mind! It is a wonderfully responsive, world-class instrument, with the bracing hand-carved into the top.

The second is a DR (Dreadnought Rosewood) Morgan, built by David Iannone in Vancouver. An absolutely killer acoustic, with a rich sound and lots of definition! I got it in January and I still am amazed by the sound every time I pick it up to play, my wife must be pretty tired of me saying "did you hear that thing??" by now!
Old 08-03-2020, 01:45 PM

I have mad respect for small shop Canadian luthiers. The one that got away for me was a Northwood M80. Such an amazing instrument in fit and tone, but I was on a flatpicking kick at the time and foolishly sold it. Now, having been entrenched in fingerpicking first several years, I wish I still had it.

I’ve owned several Larrivee, and feel that those should count since many of the builders mentioned in this thread got their start in Jean’s shop years ago.

I would love to own a Webber, Morgan or Halcyon someday.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Here are my two Northwoods. The deep-bodied 14-fret 000-80 in Engelmann and Cocobolo rocked my world four years ago. I just sold it last Christmas. I was so in love with it that I downsized and upgraded last Thanksgiving to a 12-fret 00 in Adirondack and Brazilian that was being offered here. Amazing instruments and typically half to 2/3s the price of comparable small shops and single luthiers. I couldn't recommend them more highly -- life-changing, truly.20191127_160058.jpg20191127_160144.jpg
Saez Marin G90 (Cedar/EIR)
Old 08-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

There was a time when I owned two Kronbauer guitars, a TDK in Zircote and an SMB in EIR. Great guitars with arm bevels and just outstanding craftsmanship!

Old 08-03-2020, 04:14 PM

Three of the finest guitars I have ever played, my Larrivee D10 Brazilian, JCL 40th Anniversary Edition, and D09 Brazilian. I fell privileged to have spent quite a bit of time with Jean Larrivee and Matt and Wendy. A legendary Canadian builder for sure.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iJn6vh][/url

1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 08-06-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliss View Post

Wowser....beauty
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-06-2020, 05:29 AM

I have long felt that when population is taken into consideration, the Canadians punch well above their weight.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion