The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'm aware of that.

As they age, it'll be interesting to see if boat loads of them develop issues. I thank Gibson owners for taking part in the experiment.

Just to be clear, walnuts - black, Claro, English... - are wonderful woods. One of my first instruments was made of quarter sawn black walnut and I have some lovely quarter sawn Claro walnut to use for backs and sides. However, I think it's Kinda soft for fingerboards and traditional experience tells us that quarter sawn is more stable.
And that was exactly my point (regarding the flat sawn backs).
Old 05-22-2019, 06:05 PM

Walnut is simply a choice Gibson has made in the new world of wood shortage and sustainability. Another question is how long you plan on keeping it. Ebony will last for 100+ years. Rosewood for at least 50. Walnut is as hard as Maple and should last until you're ready to upgrade to a J-45 Vintage.

If that J-15 sounds like a Gibby should, and it pleases you, I'd say you've done good.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:40 PM

I'm not sure about a walnut fingerboard -its a softer wood than EIR or Ebony
may show signs of wear faster than other woods -after many years of course.
not sure of the deal you can get -but these typically go for 1500 to 1900 bucks -
and i think you could get a better guitar for the money -hopefully another Gibby
used- but hey its really up to you - i personally don't like the sound walnut brings to the table .
Ive played a few lowdens with walnut and if i remember sorrectly one J15
- not my cup of tea .

I also wonder why they couldn't bring a better piece of wood into the mix- walnut is not that exspensive to begin with to use sapwood
-sorry sapwood is not a personal favorite ( thou i love aged walnut on furniture -the older the wood the darker the wood )
Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 PM

I will remind those responding to this thread that the OP has made a choice. He bought the J 15. He likes it. Be respectful of that choice.

Everyday, people post their new guitars. Usually, there is excitement that comes with that purchase.
That purchase may not be your cup of tea. OK. But be happy for the person who bought that guitar.

My parents taught me that if you can't say something good, say nothing. I still subscribe to that. But I understand the new guitar excitement and usually find a sincere kind word.

This doesn't make me a saint. But maybe makes the world just a little better place and adds to the good feelings for that person with the new guitar.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The back is book matched, but, as others have noted, there can be some differences in appearance as the wood is thinned, particularly with flat-sawn wood.

Beyond the question of using flat-sawn walnut, versus quarter sawn walnut, whether or not that particular piece of wood is a good choice for a guitar back is a question of aesthetics. It is not a "blemish" per se. Ditto for the fingerboard. If you like the appearance, it is a good choice: if you don't, it's a bad choice.

For my sense of aesthetics, it isn't an instrument I'd want to own. Unless it was an inexpensive instrument, walnut is a poor choice for a fingerboard: it isn't hard enough to withstand decades of playing. Black walnut is plentiful, and domestic, and is readily available in quarter sawn material. There is no practical reason - but cost savings - to use flat sawn walnut on a guitar. I'm not fond of sap wood, but that's just my preference.

For some reason, I couldn't see the pictures using Safari as a browser, on either desktop or phone.
It won't if one has a death-grip but otherwise it shouldn't make any difference.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 PM

I love it !!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post

This doesn't make me a saint. But maybe makes the world just a little better place and adds to the good feelings for that person with the new guitar.
If the original poster likes his J-15 half as much as I like mine, he's gonna love it.

I have no real fears of the guitar wearing out from being soft wood anytime soon, either. The fingerboard seems as hard as anything else to me.

The J-15 is a wonderful sounding guitar.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:59 PM

In my opinion, that fretboard not only makes that guitar unique, it also makes it beautiful. Play the heck out of it!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-23-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I will remind those responding to this thread that the OP has made a choice. He bought the J 15. He likes it. Be respectful of that choice.

Everyday, people post their new guitars. Usually, there is excitement that comes with that purchase.
That purchase may not be your cup of tea. OK. But be happy for the person who bought that guitar.

My parents taught me that if you can't say something good, say nothing. I still subscribe to that. But I understand the new guitar excitement and usually find a sincere kind word.

Ahem to that brother. Well said and my sentiments exactly. Nothing like the excitement and joy a new guitar brings to its owner. We should be happy for him or her.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:55 AM

I have no issue with the fretboard and if it is aesthetically pleasing to you, then go for it.

I wouldn't find the back acceptable to me though as it does not look book matched. But that is my sense of aesthetics. Nevertheless I wouldn't call it a blem as its not a defect of manufacturing- just what seems be a strange choice of the particular set of wood.

Last edited by gitarro; 05-23-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:56 AM

I came late to this thread but the OP did ask for our opinions.

Quote:

Last edited by gitarro; 05-23-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I came late to this thread but the OP did ask for our opinions.
I put this out as more of new guitar thing. Yes, he did ask for opinions. He now will own the guitar and what is the point of those that post to continue with their dislikes of that specific guitar ? He made his choice. Just be happy for him.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I put this out as more of new guitar thing. Yes, he did ask for opinions. He now will own the guitar and what is the point of those that post to continue with their dislikes of that specific guitar ? He made his choice. Just be happy for him.
OP here.

Yes, I did ask for opinions, and I appreciate them all! This isn't a mutual admiration society - I welcome both + and - !

The original ? wasn't asking if folks thought the guitar was attractive or not. I thought I could get the price knocked down a bit as a "blem" and wanted opinions as to whether this particular guitar could be considered blemished. In the end I DID get the price lowered, and the guitar will arrive shortly.

I may or may not like it. We'll see. If I dont, SW has a great return policy and I have a great J35 waiting in the wings. I know I love the 35.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticman View Post
OP here.

Yes, I did ask for opinions, and I appreciate them all! This isn't a mutual admiration society - I welcome both + and - !

The original ? wasn't asking if folks thought the guitar was attractive or not. I thought I could get the price knocked down a bit as a "blem" and wanted opinions as to whether this particular guitar could be considered blemished. In the end I DID get the price lowered, and the guitar will arrive shortly.

I may or may not like it. We'll see. If I dont, SW has a great return policy and I have a great J35 waiting in the wings. I know I love the 35.
Yes, I realize you solicited opinons about the blem aspect. And you probably aren't thin skinned about the sometimes, too harsh opinions that came otherwise.

It is just that there are opinions posted that need not be so edgy on many threads.

Members posting to any thread should consider how the person, OP, that started might take some comments.

We don't have to mutually admire one another but the forum will be a much better place if we all respect one another.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 PM

I enjoy having things that are different from what all the other kids have. I'm picky on build -- but neither uniqueness would be off-putting for me.

If it bugs you, then that's valid too.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion