The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin GP guitars

Martin makes 20 different GP models from the GP28 down to the GPxae. What are your thoughts on these models? I have a Road Series GPCRSG that's a great guitar. I've had it for two years and it's matured very nicely. The best thing I did for it was removing the piezo element. It made a huge difference in presence and tone. I didn't think the sapelle version of my guitar sounded anywhere near mine and, to me the rosewood GPCPA models that I've played sounded just kind of blurry.

I recently played a GP18 that I loved. Other than overall volume, it compared really well to it's bigger D18 brother

The reason I'm asking is that later today I'm going to GC to try two inexpensive Martin GP guitars; the all sapelle GPRS1 and the 20th Anniversary GPCX1ae. I like this size. I don't care about the cut-away but prefer it without. But if I like one of these, and I can get a deal, I'll take it home with me

I don't think these are so well loved around here. So what are your thoughts on the Martin GP guitars

Last edited by lowrider; 05-25-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:34 AM

I own the GP35E. It’s a 2017 model so not the reimagined current models. I’m inexperienced, playing just one year so take my opinion with that in mind.
I find my GP to have a balanced sound that’s seems full and rich to my ears. I’m currently using mediums on it and have felt this improved the sound and tone significantly. I think GPs are a good all around guitar that works well for finger style and strumming.
I have an Alvarez GA guitar but it’s an inexpensive starter guitar and to me there’s no comparison. I do get to compare it to my instructors Taylor 800 series GA guitar regularly. Both are spruce top and rosewood b/s. I find the Taylor too bright, it’s sometimes harsh to my ears. I realize he likely sees this differently.
I find the guitar to be comfortable, plays easily, has good volume and I will likely keep this guitar into the foreseeable future.
From reading I know that the GP is not Martins best seller and that OMs and 000s are far more popular. I hope to learn from some others on this thread about their thoughts on that and how they compare those models to the GPs.
Not sure if this adds anything meaningful but I’m grateful to own what I consider to be a fine instrument.
Good luck in your search.

Last edited by jschmitz54; 05-25-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

I have played several of the GP line and I liked every one of them.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

I didn't like the look of mine when I first saw it. I thought it looked like a Taylor. And it does, one of the guys at my jam group plays an ovangkol Taylor GA and other than the headstock and pick-guard, it sure looks like my mutenye GP.

I grew on me as I was going around trying Martin guitars and I ended up getting a great deal on it from Maury's.

I now also have a Custom Shop OM-18. It's a once in a lifetime guitar for me, but I really like the size of my GP. It's kind of like the Three Bears. This one is not too small, not too big, it's just right.

So I'll see what I find later. Maybe a new GP will be coming home with me!
Old 05-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

No guitar shopping today. I just got back to Long Island from Upstate and the LIE is jammed in both directions. I need the LIE to get to any guitar store so this is going to have to wait.

I will let you know what I find!
Old 05-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

The GP-18 is a hidden gem... as an owner of a lovely D-18 for years, and former owner of a 000-18 Retro, I have to say the GP is a "just right" fit. I spent some good, quiet time with a non-cutaway GP-18 and found it to be so satisfying. If I didn't have a D-18 already and recently sold my 000-18, I would have the GP-18. I don't care for the VTE system at all, but the unplugged sound is all you could want in a dread and a 000.

eric
Old 05-25-2019, 07:04 PM

I have a custom GP, for me it is a great size.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Martin makes 20 different GP models from the GP28 down to the GPxae. What are your thoughts on these models? I have a Road Series GPCRSG that's a great guitar. I've had it for two years and it's matured very nicely. The best thing I did for it was removing the piezo element. It made a huge difference in presence and tone. I didn't think the sapelle version of my guitar sounded anywhere near mine and, to me the rosewood GPCPA models that I've played sounded just kind of blurry.

I recently played a GP18 that I loved. Other than overall volume, it compared really well to it's bigger D18 brother

The reason I'm asking is that later today I'm going to GC to try two inexpensive Martin GP guitars; the all sapelle GPRS1 and the 20th Anniversary GPCX1ae. I like this size. I don't care about the cut-away but prefer it without. But if I like one of these, and I can get a deal, I'll take it home with me

I don't think these are so well loved around here. So what are your thoughts on the Martin GP guitars
I had a Martin GPC18E Aura VT Enhance and acoustically it sounded excellent but I didn't care too much for the Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system. If you don't mind spending the money, spring for the Martin GPC18E. The Aura VT Enhance system can sound good but I feel it needs some external EQ to do so. YMMV. My review thread for Martin GPC18E Aura VT Enhance.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-25-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
I have a custom GP, for me it is a great size.
Do you have favorite strings that you like on the guitar? Looking for suggestions to try, brand ,model and gauge. TIA.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

On my GPCRSG, I like D'Addario 80/20's. I like the way they start out really lively and just keep getting better until they die suddenly.

I'd like to try Retro's but haven't gotten to them yet.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
Do you have favorite strings that you like on the guitar? Looking for suggestions to try, brand ,model and gauge. TIA.
For now I settled on the new authentic light treated 92/8
This time a year with the natural humidity in the air I could put cat gut strings on there and it would sound good 🎸
Old 05-26-2019, 07:35 AM

I have a GPC-35E and it's my main gig guitar. Our other guitarist is the Taylor guy and I think personally that the GPC's are Martin's modern acoustic/electric approach to what Taylor offers: an excellent acoustic, with modern electronics, and a cutaway for those of us who have a long history of electric playing beyond the tenth fret.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2558 View Post
I have a GPC-35E and it's my main gig guitar. Our other guitarist is the Taylor guy and I think personally that the GPC's are Martin's modern acoustic/electric approach to what Taylor offers: an excellent acoustic, with modern electronics, and a cutaway for those of us who have a long history of electric playing beyond the tenth fret.
Wondering if you’d share what strings, manufacture, model and gauge you like on your GPC35E.
I have the non cutaway version and would like to try different strings. I’v only been playing for one year and there are so many choices. I’ve currently been using DAddario uncoated mediums and DR Dragon Skin coated mediums. TIA.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

So, I stopped at GC today and maybe it was the 100 year old strings on all three guitars that I tried. I played two of the GP size which are now under a new model number and a 000-15m. I just couldn't get anything out of them.

I really do like the look, and I love the size of the GP's without the cut-away but for me, with my style and ability, I need something with more. More what I'm not sure, all three of these were like I was trying to play under the covers.

I've got two more GC's to hit on Tuesday so who knows, but as of today; I loved the size but had no love at all for the sound.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
Wondering if you’d share what strings, manufacture, model and gauge you like on your GPC35E.
I have the non cutaway version and would like to try different strings. I’v only been playing for one year and there are so many choices. I’ve currently been using DAddario uncoated mediums and DR Dragon Skin coated mediums. TIA.
I use Martin Lifespan MSP7050, custom light 11's on the GPC-35E, and step up to 12's on my M-36. I'd put 12's on the GPC-35E and it would even better but it seems these old hands hurt more and more each day... so 11's it is.

To be honest I've never put any other brand on either.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion