The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 04:16 AM

Default the 5 mostplayed guitars

hi folks in alphabetical order:

Casimi, Matthew Rice and Mathias Roux
Darluthier, David Antony Reid
Kuun, Murray
Lucas, Adrian
oroborus, Tobias Traub

always on the scout, never enough ?

all the best

guitarchie
Old 09-21-2020, 05:10 AM

Never had the privilege of playing a guitar built by an independent luthier, let alone form a preference.

I live in abject poverty here in the gutter, so I must settle for guitars from Martin, Guild, and Gibson.

Cruel cruel world.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default What are your Top 5 favorite luthier-built guitars?

I see that I posted in this thread back in 2014 when the thread was first started and since then I have played and acquired a couple of luthier built guitars. So, an updated list:

My absolute favorites are:
- 2004 Wingert 12 fret E
- 2019 Prairie Grass by Sparky Kramer
- 2001 Wingert 00
- 2013 Kramer Prairie Grass
- 2003 Olson SJ
I also played an all-mahogany Santa Cruz OM a few years back. It was a lovely guitar that almost came home with me.

I am fortunate that between attending guitar festivals and hanging out now and then in guitar shops, I have been able to play a number of wonderful luthier-built guitars. If I had the opportunity to play all the ones that show up in the Custom Shop section here, I would probably have a hundred favorites! :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-21-2020, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Never had the privilege of playing a guitar built by an independent luthier, let alone form a preference.

I live in abject poverty here in the gutter, so I must settle for guitars from Martin, Guild, and Gibson.

Cruel cruel world.

Well, to be fair, I have played a number of stellar examples of all three of those brands, Tico. The beauty of luthier-built guitars is often in the custom options, not always better tone but maybe more dialed in to better suit a player’s particular needs and their ears and hands. It is all so subjective.
There are lots of folks making fabulous music on just about any and every brand out there and that is the bottom line, really.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-21-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Impossible to pin down.....I own the guitars I like best.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 09-21-2020, 06:43 PM

I have played a number of outstanding guitars at the shows (and at home) - but none of the ultra-expensive ones, as I don't believe in playing one that I would not consider buying. So that leaves off many of the names that keep showing up in the posts above.

I am convinced there are some lesser-known makers out there who produce just a good guitar as ones who have deservedly stellar reputations. I have played a few that blew me away.

There was a Ryan that was just perfect in every conceivable way. And Sexauer's pear guitar might have caused me to renounce all fiscal responsibilities if it didn't have that doggone cutaway. There was also a Klein & Kauffman that really impressed me with its sound, only I didn't get along with the body size.

At home, every time I pick up the Goodall I just can't find a single thing to criticize. Same way with the Hatcher. And I suspect John and Steve Kinnaird's current instruments are the equal of many far-more-expensive guitars.

And there's probably a lot more makers that would be in the running if I only had the chance to really play their offerings.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:05 PM

The OP asked for "favorite luthier-built guitars." How can we know that the guitars listed by the posters are actually built by the luthier whose name is on the guitar, or by assistants?
Old 09-21-2020, 07:14 PM

Astrand
Buendia
Walker
Wingert
Casimi
Old 10-02-2020, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

My top 5 are

Kirk Sand, steel string,

Tim Laughlin, steel string, although mostly builds Ukuleles these days

Rob Ehlers, steel string

Jim Merrill, Harp Guitar

David Santo 12 string,
Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor player View Post
Has anyone out there tried a brook guitar?, they are made in the west country England.
Yes! I have a 2013 Brook Torridge - Sitka/mahogany. Beautifully built and great tone. They are an incredible value for the price which is less than a lot of factory built instruments. I have absolutely no interest in instruments that cost more than my car. I believe in the law of diminishing returns - does a $10,000 guitar by a boutique builder sound 5x better than my Brook? To me ....no....but to some it's an ego trip. I'm curious as to how many of these high $$$ guitars are taken out and played at the local tavern, pub or open mic. To me, if a guitar can't pay for itself in a year, it goes away. It's a tool and I see no need for a $10,000 hammer.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I love my Stehr dread. Joel builds beautiful guitars that sound wonderful.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-04-2020, 09:54 PM

I am not going to say favorite as there are so many that are just great, but I would have to say Ben Wilborn, Steve Kinnaird, Bruce Sexauer, James Olson, and Jason Kostal and Rory Dowling of Taran, as some that really deserve attention. I can also add Mark Hatcher, John Kinnaird, and Edwinson guitars right there also. So many and so many on this forum.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

This is a very interesting question and the replies have certainly given me something to Google. On a personal level, I don't know where someone can possibly find these amazing, luthier-built guitars. I might rarely see one when I'm in NYC or Asheville, but I could look for years (and have) without much luck. And even if I do come across one, it's only a single model at that. NAMM, perhaps? I'm baffled.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
This is a very interesting question and the replies have certainly given me something to Google. On a personal level, I don't know where someone can possibly find these amazing, luthier-built guitars. I might rarely see one when I'm in NYC or Asheville, but I could look for years (and have) without much luck. And even if I do come across one, it's only a single model at that. NAMM, perhaps? I'm baffled.
Your point is well taken. I am fortunate to live in an area where there are several guitar shops that carry some high end instruments. There used to be a guitar festival here in Northern CA and that is the arena that gave me access to playing many guitars by experienced as well as newer luthiers. If you're near Ashville, NC, you are close to Dream Guitars so you could make an appointment to try out some wonderful luthier built guitars - new and used. Guitar Gallery is in Nashville. If you are willing to take a road trip (probably after Covid) there are ways to try out some of these beauties.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-05-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Your point is well taken. I am fortunate to live in an area where there are several guitar shops that carry some high end instruments. There used to be a guitar festival here in Northern CA and that is the arena that gave me access to playing many guitars by experienced as well as newer luthiers. If you're near Ashville, NC, you are close to Dream Guitars so you could make an appointment to try out some wonderful luthier built guitars - new and used. Guitar Gallery is in Nashville. If you are willing to take a road trip (probably after Covid) there are ways to try out some of these beauties.
Best,
Jayne
Someone else mentioned Dream Guitars so I'll have to check them out. Looks like they're only a 20 minute drive from downtown.

I don't know Guitar Gallery but Nashville is always a fun trip and I'll add them to my Contacts file as well.

Thanks for the leads, Jayne!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion