The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-11-2020, 02:42 AM

Default My version of the song Moonshiner

This traditional song has been covered by so many people Charlie Parr, Bob Dylan, The Clancy Brothers, Wilco, Redbird, so I though I would take a stab at it. With Covid-19, I have a much slower gig season, so I've been learning fun finger-picking songs that have good stories to sing.

Recorded in one take with a vocal mic (Rode Classic II), guitar mic (Violet Globe Vintage) and a direct send from the guitar into dirty Fender amp sim, which is very close to the way I play live, although live, for the electric signal, I use a real Fender Princeton Reverb amp and a Mythical Overdrive.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-11-2020 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:57 AM

Nice job, sounds great
Old 09-11-2020, 02:32 PM

Thank you Mr Strings
Old 09-20-2020, 11:29 PM

This song has been going over great at my gigs!!!
Old 09-20-2020, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi Daniel!

Wow, that was nice -- very well done! And the recording sounds great! That's a good sound with your picking with your bare fingers.

I'm glad you're getting a chance to do some recording, though I'm sorry this pandemic is messing up your living.

Take care Daniel!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Daniel!

Wow, that was nice -- very well done! And the recording sounds great! That's a good sound with your picking with your bare fingers.

I'm glad you're getting a chance to do some recording, though I'm sorry this pandemic is messing up your living.

Take care Daniel!

- Glenn
Thanks Glen, I've been averaging about 14 gigs a month for the last three months, so things are looking up And I've been offered some good tour gigs for when Covid19 gets under control. Till then, I'm just going to work on building my live set up to as absolutely strong as it could be. That is why I learned this song. BTW I can never get used to fingerpicks, that's why it's bare fingers
Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Thanks Glen, I've been averaging about 14 gigs a month for the last three months, so things are looking up And I've been offered some good tour gigs for when Covid19 gets under control. Till then, I'm just going to work on building my live set up to as absolutely strong as it could be. That is why I learned this song. BTW I can never get used to fingerpicks, that's why it's bare fingers
Good! It sounds like you have a good plan! Hang in there!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Good! It sounds like you have a good plan! Hang in there!

- Glenn
I will Glenn, hey, I know you love to record, but are you a gigger?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I will Glenn, hey, I know you love to record, but are you a gigger?
No. My family and I did community concerts of original music about the Pacific Northwest from 1987 thru 1992. When my oldest son went off to college, we stopped. But we were doing about 30 concerts per year around Washington and Oregon through those years and sold lots of albums at our shows, so we did fairly well. I also held down my engineering job during those years, so I used vacation time when I needed to. And there were a lot of late nights then getting up early for work. My wife worked full time on our music business. When we stopped, she went back to teaching full time.

For me that period was like working two jobs at once, so when we gave up the performing stuff, I actually felt a great sense of relief.

I set up a YouTube channel when I retired from full time work. I try to keep putting songs up on my YouTube channel so that I can keep my hand in music. I like recording and playing and learning new stuff. And there are a fair number of tutorials on my YouTube channel so I can offer a helping hand to those wanting to learn to play.

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
No. My family and I did community concerts of original music about the Pacific Northwest from 1987 thru 1992. When my oldest son went off to college, we stopped. But we were doing about 30 concerts per year around Washington and Oregon through those years and sold lots of albums at our shows, so we did fairly well. I also held down my engineering job during those years, so I used vacation time when I needed to. And there were a lot of late nights then getting up early for work. My wife worked full time on our music business. When we stopped, she went back to teaching full time.

For me that period was like working two jobs at once, so when we gave up the performing stuff, I actually felt a great sense of relief.

I set up a YouTube channel when I retired from full time work. I try to keep putting songs up on my YouTube channel so that I can keep my hand in music. I like recording and playing and learning new stuff. And there are a fair number of tutorials on my YouTube channel so I can offer a helping hand to those wanting to learn to play.

- Glenn
Well keep it up, because you're doing a great thing with the tutorials, and of course keep on learning all the songs you've ever dreamed of learning! I can tell from your recordings that you have the focus necessary to make a living in music if you wanted to, that's why I asked if you gigged.

And like you, although in reverse, for many years I did a day job and full time music, and when I finally quit the day job, 20 years ago, I felt that sense of relief! I waited till my son was grown up and financially independent before I struck out as a full-time musician.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-21-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:07 AM

Excellent version, with your own feel and sound too. I can see why audiences respond well to your singing on this.

You mention a number of prior versions. The folk revival singer I primarily identify with this song is Dave Van Ronk.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-21-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Excellent version, with your own feel and sound too. I can see why audiences respond well to your singing on this.

You mention a number of prior versions. The folk revival singer I primarily identify with this song is Dave Van Ronk.
Thanks for commenting Frank, maybe that's why Bob Dylan did it as he was close friends with Dave Von Ronk.

I've been trying to arrange my songs to hint at the melody in the finger-picking, and to have a little dirty/delayed electric sound mixed in with the clean acoustic guitar sound. The dirty sound is very subliminal, but the delay creates a poly rhythm that I think the people feel. But who knows what they are really reacting to, as long as they react anyway
Old 09-21-2020, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Brilliant version of a classic. Your voice and playing are impeccable yet convey emotion and grit. The recording/guitar-voice balance sounded pro to me too. I hope we get to hear more while the gig situation remains slow (and sorry about that reality). Dan
Old 09-22-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
Brilliant version of a classic. Your voice and playing are impeccable yet convey emotion and grit. The recording/guitar-voice balance sounded pro to me too. I hope we get to hear more while the gig situation remains slow (and sorry about that reality). Dan
Thanks you Dan for the very kind words. It was fun for me to develop this song into my particular sound. I don't know what's next on the list of songs to learn, but I think may go into a songwriting mode shortly, as I'm finishing up recording a friend's project. And generally, I don't work as much in Oct/Nov, even through normal seasons, and I have a nice little studio. At the start of the pandemic I lost all my gigs for about three months, and for the first 2 months, I was so depressed that I didn't touch a guitar or sing. It was the longest I ever went without playing music in my whole adult life, I even lost all my callouses on my fingertips. And since I make my entire living playing or recording music it was pretty tough. But with the opening up of the businesses in late June, I immediately picked up some work, about 15 gigs a month since July. All of the them were social distance conscious too

What pulled me out of the depression was actually forcing myself to write a song. This one...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-22-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Tears in My Eyes sounds great too. Remember - you can lose your job, lose your girl, lose your home, lose your dog...but be sure you NEVER lose your calluses!!! ha,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell