The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Unique things about your favorite guitar model you own that you like best?

Unique things about your favorite guitar model you own that you like best? PICTURES PLEASE!

I only own one guitar and so it happens to be my favorite too. The unique thing I like about this California Series most are the traditional Fender headstock. I also like the unique things I've done to it, such as a white pearl sound hole inlay and the white pearl inlayed bone bridge pins.

Last edited by LeDave; 09-20-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:20 PM

My Guild D125....I reglued the bridge myself and now it plays incredible. The neck angle is perfect , the saddle is tall, and the string break angle is at 45 degrees. And it plays so easy.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:59 PM

It's not "unique" in the sense that anyone can custom order it, but given how relatively unknown Lakewood is in the USA...

My first "real" guitar of quality is my Lakewood M32. Ordered it custom back in 2003 from the only dealer in California, took six months to get to me. They lost the order, so Martin Seeliger, by way of apology, put what he said was one of the best pieces of Sitka he had at the time on it. It has aged beautifully, both visually and sonically.

But the "unique" think about it was the "magic symbols" I ordered for the rosette. Every time I take it to get tuned up at a luthier, they compliment both the guitar and the rosette.

In fact, it's getting a new nut made to increase string spacing, and the luthier asked "what's going on here" and when I explained what they were he said "this is the coolest rosette I've seen in a while." I know he probably says that to everyone, but it still made me feel good.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-20-2020, 07:28 PM

Sorry I haven't figured out pictures yet.

As my screen name suggests, I play mandolin and mandolin family instruments. Many years ago I bought a 2007 Eastman MDC805 mandocello. Its basically an AR805 archtop guitar with heavier bracing and nut, bridge and tailpiece made for 8 strings (4 dual courses).

A few years ago I commissioned a custom 10 string mandocello from a luthier friend. I'd always wanted an archtop guitar, so my plan initially was to sell the Eastman to finance a new archtop. But....not many people are buying mandocellos.

Then it hit me - with a new nut and bridge I could convert my MDC805 to an AR805. So I did. I bought a tuneomatic bridge with brass saddle and a bone nut blank. Then I decided to add a Benedetto finger rest (pickguard), John Pearse ebony arm rest, magnetic neck pickup and new gold tuners with ebony buttons, plus matching Waverly ebony strap button. Strung up with .013 aluminum bronze strings this is truly a one of a kind guitar.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:27 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I like more thing than I can count on my Collings D1A T. But one of the most unique is the cutthrough saddle. It stretches out longer than a traditional saddle and, in theory, transfers more energy to the top to beef up the volume/tone. It’s what Martin used on pre-war guitars. Does it make a noticeable difference? All I know is that the guitar sounds fabulous. Oh, and it looks cool.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:52 PM

Many people didn't like the rosette pictured on the Martin JDP II when it came out - I'm OK with that.

However, you can see mine is quite different from the stock photo above I found on the internet, maybe they ran out of contrasting timbers by the time they got to mine ... the last one made?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-20-2020, 09:25 PM

I have a unique one, my Taylor DN4 was made in 2008 but it has had only 3 birthdays.
Here's why that is. I bought it about a year ago and have known all along that it was built in 2008 but just recently decoded the serial number on on Taylor's website. Turns out that it was built on February 29th 2008....leap day. There have been 3 more leap days since then, 2012,16 and this year. Kind of a fun little quirk.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:27 PM

At that rate it won't need a neck reset until...2200.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-20-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
It's not "unique" in the sense that anyone can custom order it, but given how relatively unknown Lakewood is in the USA...

My first "real" guitar of quality is my Lakewood M32. Ordered it custom back in 2003 from the only dealer in California, took six months to get to me. They lost the order, so Martin Seeliger, by way of apology, put what he said was one of the best pieces of Sitka he had at the time on it. It has aged beautifully, both visually and sonically.

But the "unique" think about it was the "magic symbols" I ordered for the rosette. Every time I take it to get tuned up at a luthier, they compliment both the guitar and the rosette.

In fact, it's getting a new nut made to increase string spacing, and the luthier asked "what's going on here" and when I explained what they were he said "this is the coolest rosette I've seen in a while." I know he probably says that to everyone, but it still made me feel good.
That rosette is so cool!! I've looked at several Lakewoods and seem to always come back to them or Furch for a fingerstyle guitar. Is the rosette custom or an option?
Old 09-20-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenans93093 View Post
That rosette is so cool!! I've looked at several Lakewoods and seem to always come back to them or Furch for a fingerstyle guitar. Is the rosette custom or an option?
It’s an option. I think back then it was only a $75 upgrade but now it’s like $125. You can also have zodiac symbols instead but they’ll use a darker wood and lighter materials for the zodiacs. You can also put the magic symbols as fretboard inlays. But I think they look best in the rosette. If I ever buy another Lakewood I’ll probably choose the zodiac option because it will be a nice contrast to this one. Since my Sitka on the Lakewood is now very orange, the new Lakewood would have a creamier colored top wood like euro spruce or Adirondack to contrast with the darker rosette.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-20-2020, 10:35 PM

Default Unique Taylor

I have a Taylor GS7, the Cedar/Rosewood variant.

Mine has a 3 piece back, like a Martin D35. Haven't seen another one like it!
Old 09-20-2020, 11:22 PM
Runaway Tomato

Ok, I'll bite! The 814ce DLX V-class:

Gotoh 510s, and a streaky Ebony fretboard and headstock veneer:

Look closely at the Maple edge binding on the soundhole - and the abalone rosette. Top binding (seen clearly on the cutaway) is also Maple and Rosewood. I also like the Rosewood pickguard.

Beveled EIR armrest, bordered with Maple:

The EIR Back and Sides are nice -- Not a great pic of the back, but check out the sides
Former AGF Moderator
Old 09-20-2020, 11:52 PM

Love that fretboard, Mark!
Old 09-21-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

My two favorite guitars are my 2004 Wingert 12 fret E and my 2019 Kramer Prairie Grass - here is the unique thing that I like about these two stellar custom guitars.

The head stock inlay on the Wingert - Jimmi Wingert did a fabulous job of inlaying a Great Egret flying across the headstock.

The 2019 Kramer Prairie Grass is such a wonderful mix of traditional and modern design elements. Slope shoulder shape and snowflake inlays with his very cool modern-shaped pick guard and Gotoh tuners. I really like the look.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Unique things about your favorite guitar model you own that you like best?

Last edited by Rockysdad; 09-21-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Removed content, not worthwhile.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion