The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-11-2020, 08:15 AM

Default old pearloid fretboard repair

I picked up a very interesting old parlor guitar that needs some work. I'm not sure of the maker, the brand name is 'Princess'. It is painted a dark green, with dragon decals on it. I'm pretty certain it's all original, and suspect it dates from the mid-thirties. It's a 12 fret X braced slothead, 24" scale,and I am pretty sure it's all solid Mahogany. Anyway, the fretboard looks like perhaps maple, with pearloid overlays. Of course, most of them are chipped, curling, etc. I know I can get pearloid material and replace whats there. I'm sitting on the fence of keeping it original, or just refinishing the whole thing natural, and overlaying the fretboard with a RW board. Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:31 AM

Could you post some images of the guitar?
Old 08-12-2020, 05:32 AM

PM sent, check your inbox
Old 08-12-2020, 05:38 PM

We would all like to see it - can you post pictures or maybe a URL

Ed
Old 08-26-2020, 09:32 AM

Pics sent some to Stromberg Voisi, perhaps they can come from there?
So, I opened it up, and lots of loose braces. I suspect it was stored in an attic for a lot of years. I'm working on re-gluing the braces now. A few top cracks to repair in a bit...
Old 09-11-2020, 09:20 AM

Well, I got all the loose braces re-glued, and the cracks glued and splinted. I also worked on the saddle some to get the action playable. Its now strung up with EJ16's, and I am impressed at the tone! because of the age, I have the strings tuned down a half step when I'm not in open D tuning. What a cool little guitar. Even with the X bracing, the tone is somewhat dark, but it has pretty good sustain. I need to get some X-light retros to put on it! Wish I could post pics, ( sorry! )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair