The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-21-2020, 11:21 AM

Default Flying Burrito Bros

In my research of Folk rock bands the name Gram Parsons came up. I have done some research on him which uncovered this band he was an influential part of. I found a live recording from 1969, the same year they released Guilded Palace of Sin. I was surprised to hear it was thoroughly country. I expected it to have some rock in it. Im missing some development from folk to folk rock yet. I dont see this band as part of that. Not being a country music fan I dont know if the songs on the recording were originals or covers but a couple of them I did recognize. Wake up little Suzzie from the Everyly bros was one of them. The bands' cover was dismal compared to the Everlies. So maybe all the songs in this performance were covers. Is it possible that the FBB moved more toward rock after Gram left?
Old 08-21-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
In my research of Folk rock bands the name Gram Parsons came up. I have done some research on him which uncovered this band he was an influential part of. I found a live recording from 1969, the same year they released Guilded Palace of Sin. I was surprised to hear it was thoroughly country. I expected it to have some rock in it. Im missing some development from folk to folk rock yet. I dont see this band as part of that. Not being a country music fan I dont know if the songs on the recording were originals or covers but a couple of them I did recognize. Wake up little Suzzie from the Everyly bros was one of them. The bands' cover was dismal compared to the Everlies. So maybe all the songs in this performance were covers. Is it possible that the FBB moved more toward rock after Gram left?
Gram and Hillman did not get along together. Gram wanted to go the Country way, Hillman wanted to go the rock and roll way. Flying Burrito Brothers had some ad hoc releases Burrito Deluxe and Red Hot Burrito with Gram participating, I haven't heard these albums, not sure if there was a dichotomy of country and rock in those releases, more so than Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Guilded Palace of Sin which was more country.

When Gram died in 1973, Hillman joined Manassas and went on with a more rock and roll way.

In my opinion, Parson's vision of advancing the Country side sort of faded, i'd be curious if there were any performers that carried his (Gram's) torch after his passing.

MGF
Old 08-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Default Okay, I take it back, this sounds pretty Country to Me (Manassas)

MGF
Old 08-21-2020, 12:54 PM

Default Listings of Folk-Rock and Country-Rock artists

Let the debate begin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_folk_rock_artists
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rock_musicians
Old 08-21-2020, 01:02 PM

This is more about research of a Family Tree of performers and what bands they migrated to.

Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons (Byrds)

MGF
Old 08-21-2020, 01:07 PM

Default Bound to Fall Written by Hillman and Stills

Interesting, here's a very much more Rock and Roll song by Manassas, co-written by Hillman and Stills.

MGF
Old 08-21-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
This is more about research of a Family Tree of performers and what bands they migrated to.

Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons (Byrds)

MGF
OP wrote that he was researching Folk Rock Bands and exploring Country Rock Bands...hence my post.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Is it possible that the FBB moved more toward rock after Gram left?
While Chris Hillman was part of the Flying Burrito Brothers they stayed with a strong country/gospel take with some rock elements. The FBB continued on long after Chris departed with numerous lineups and various styles of music. So you may hear a lot more of a rock oriented band at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
In my opinion, Parson's vision of advancing the Country side sort of faded, i'd be curious if there were any performers that carried his (Gram's) torch after his passing. MGF
Well, The Eagles gave Gram credit for inspiring their fusion of country and rock, and Poco did the same with Crazy Eyes, their tribute song to Gram. As for carrying Gram's torch, Gram was actually carrying a torch lit by Buck Owens and his Bakersfield sound, so Buck was actually more Gram than Gram for years afterward.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-21-2020, 05:00 PM

Here's a good read on the Burrito Brothers to Eagles transition

https://www.loudersound.com/features...for-the-eagles

MGF
Old 08-21-2020, 05:33 PM

What a great list Tele, I had no idea
Old 08-21-2020, 06:03 PM

Mercy, hope it helps. Not complete by any means. For some reason, The Long Ryders, one of my favorite country-rock bands, were not on either list. So I just added them to the Country Rock list.

Last edited by TeleBluesMan; 08-21-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:26 PM

Here are some of the "country rock" musicians included on the wikipedia page:

The Allman Brothers Band
Jimmy Buffet
Ry Cooder
Cheryl Crow
The Doobie Brothers
John Hiatt
Gordon Lightfoot
Little Feat
Nick Lowe
Ted Nugent
Elvis Presley
Darius Rucker
Steven Tyler

Some of these folks may have dipped their toe into the country genre with a song or two, but none of these artists should be considered country rock musicians. Seriously....Ted Nugent

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-21-2020, 07:40 PM

Yes, one of the problems with Wikipedia is that anyone can edit a page and add information. As President Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet."
Old 08-21-2020, 09:46 PM

Yes, I noticed that also. Groups/guys that certainly couldnt be categorized a country rock but there are a lot there that were.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN