The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-15-2022, 07:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley90 View Post
Talking to a builder from my last guitar for a while it either a 0 or 00

I prefer big and bassy sound but thinking to do a couch sized small guitar, Most likely Adi/ mahog combo.

To complement a 12fret dred rosewood, another all mahog

2 OM's one adi/ madi, the other baked sitka/indian rosewood.

Most short scale.

Trying to get something a bit different in this build

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!
I had my builder make a shallow body 00 12 fret with a cutaway and a standard 24.9” scale with red spruce and quilted maple back & sides. It’s the perfect couch guitar! Very loud and full sounding.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 09-15-2022, 08:04 AM

Good luck, I think it is very hard to get a big booming bass from an O or OO, just my opinion. Of course we all have different opinions on what constitutes a big booming bass.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:18 AM

In my experience, most people who have played both over fairly long periods prefer the 00 over the 0.

On the other hand, my 0-21 had a unique voice not well replicated by any of my 00 guitars.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Have to agree. The 00 he had at BIG had some bass. It was impressive.
That one would have gone home with me if I had the dough.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Agreed - that guitar was something special. Michel has three videos on his instagram of folks playing it at the Fretboard Summit (Adam Miller) and BIG (Frog & Toad, plus some weird guy in glasses and a hat )

https://www.instagram.com/aboudibguitars/?hl=en
Old 09-17-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I recently got back in trade one of my well regarded BRW/Adi single 0's. It is long scale (Transformational on a "little" guitar), and has the power and balance of a full sized guitar. Comes in a Calton and has a very expensive (forgot the name) and effective PU in it. You can see it, and others, on my Shop Inventory Page.
Gonna second Bruce here. My Sexauer FT-0 covers the spectrum beautifully. Big, open, tone. Plenty of bass, and just feels alive in the hand. Needs nothing. NFS.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley90 View Post
Talking to a builder from my last guitar for a while it either a 0 or 00

I prefer big and bassy sound but thinking to do a couch sized small guitar...

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!
I suggest one of these, lots of bass and powerful trebles.

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymosco; 09-18-2022 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I am discussing a possible build with Max Spohn, a luthier in Germany. He apprenticed with Raymond Kraut, who, of course, studied with Ervin Somogyi. I hear overtones fo both "ancestors" in this lovely guitar. It has got big chops for a small body. Of course, there is the fact that Dustin is playing it.
Good luck with your decision - lots of wonderful choices.
David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDbC...l=DustinFurlow
Old 09-18-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I am discussing a possible build with Max Spohn, a luthier in Germany. He apprenticed with Raymond Kraut, who, of course, studied with Ervin Somogyi. I hear overtones fo both "ancestors" in this lovely guitar. It has got big chops for a small body. Of course, there is the fact that Dustin is playing it.
Good luck with your decision - lots of wonderful choices.
David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDbC...l=DustinFurlow
I'll take one of those AND Michel's 00.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I'll take one of those AND Michel's 00.
Funny you mention that, because those were my two options.
With apologies in advance for thread drift, a few weeks ago I discovered Michel's (Aboudib) guitars and was thoroughly smitten by their sound and artistic demeanor. His handwork and designs are quite striking. And his advertised base price of 6500 Euros, at the time, was within my budget. So I reached out to him through his website with an expression of serious interest. Unfortunately, I have never heard back from him. And, in the meantime, his base price increased to 9250 Euro for what appears to be the same basic build.
I mean this as no criticism. He is running a business, and his guitars seem to be a hot item now. And, he is apparently now studying in Ervin Somagyi's shop, which is the kind of "big break" that, I assume, most fledgling luthiers dream about. But his more than 40% price increase put one of his instruments out of my reach, once all the customizations I would want are factored in.
Fortunately, I find Max Spohn's work equally alluring and more affordable. He also has experience working with maple, which is what I am looking at. We have traded several emails whcih have been very informative and throughful. And his anticipated delivery date of next summer is well within my own expiration date (I hope).
We are, indeed, most fortunate to have such talented craftspeople to choose from, with Michel and Max representing just the latest generation of top drawer luthiers.
David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 09-18-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Just go with Steve Kinnaird and get on with it!!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 09-18-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Funny you mention that, because those were my two options.
With apologies in advance for thread drift, a few weeks ago I discovered Michel's (Aboudib) guitars and was thoroughly smitten by their sound and artistic demeanor. His handwork and designs are quite striking. And his advertised base price of 6500 Euros, at the time, was within my budget. So I reached out to him through his website with an expression of serious interest. Unfortunately, I have never heard back from him. And, in the meantime, his base price increased to 9250 Euro for what appears to be the same basic build.
I mean this as no criticism. He is running a business, and his guitars seem to be a hot item now. And, he is apparently now studying in Ervin Somagyi's shop, which is the kind of "big break" that, I assume, most fledgling luthiers dream about. But his more than 40% price increase put one of his instruments out of my reach, once all the customizations I would want are factored in.
Fortunately, I find Max Spohn's work equally alluring and more affordable. He also has experience working with maple, which is what I am looking at. We have traded several emails whcih have been very informative and throughful. And his anticipated delivery date of next summer is well within my own expiration date (I hope).
We are, indeed, most fortunate to have such talented craftspeople to choose from, with Michel and Max representing just the latest generation of top drawer luthiers.
David
I'm lucky that I bought my OM and put in an order for a 7 string before his price hike. With hands on experience, I'm willing to buy from Michel.

Spohn seems to be a slightly nicer price point. As a sucker for modern rosettes, I'll admit he's now on my radar. I'd consider buying from him, too. I don't have any experience yet.

Probably can't go wrong with either builder. Razo used to build really neat stuff, but it seems he has since stepped away from building.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Smile Or John…

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Just go with Steve Kinnaird and get on with it!!!
As usual, let me suggest John Kinnaird.

And I am surprised no one has mentioned a Manzer Wedge and a bevel or two.

My HUGE JKs feel like much smaller instruments in hand, but have the enormous tone I crave.

I know some folks balk at bevels, ports, and cutaways, but they work great for me.

Just my two cents.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-19-2022, 10:20 AM

I know that the luthiers mentioned build fantastic guitars, no doubt, but if you're a bit more budget conscious, you might look at the guitars of Warren Murfitt (warrenmurfitt.ca) or Lee Hyldig (maelutherie.com). Both these guys are in Canada and both specialize in smaller body instruments.

Last edited by Jwills57; 09-19-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
I know that the luthiers mentioned build fantastic guitars, no doubt, but if you're bit more budget conscious, you might look at the guitars of Warren Murfitt (warrenmurfitt.ca) or Lee Hyldig (maelutherie.com). Both these guys are in Canada and both specialize in smaller body instruments.

Excellent choices!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop