The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-21-2022, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Greenfield Guitar?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to obtain a Greenfield guitar sometime in the future(either a GF or G1 model). The question I have is should I shop around and hope to find a used one in good condition or join Michael's waitlist which is an upwards of 4 years? I'm not particular about the customization of the guitar; I just really like the tone that all of Michael's guitars have. I've seen a couple of them go up for sale over the past year or so, but they always seem to sell within a couple of days. The other option is build with Halland Guitars who apprenticed under Michael. Gage has some custom build slots open for next year and his guitars also sound amazing to me. I've seen some players and dealers compare the two, but I don't want to do a disservice to Halland Guitars as each builder is unique and I think it would be unfair if I was aiming for a Greenfield guitar from the start. Any comments and thoughts are welcome! Thanks!
Old 08-21-2022, 07:10 PM

I really want a Greenfield G2. That being said, I cannot afford to buy a guitar costing that much. I have an Applegate SJ. I found it to be very remarkable. If you can afford it, get a Greenfield. Brooke Miller does a solo version of "Country in a Dome Car", on her Greenfield that is as breathtaking as it is breakneck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP5_wJJw1N4

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 08-21-2022, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

If you're not particular about the specs, I'd say just hang tight until the right one pops up on the market. I agree, it would be a disservice to Halland to get on his list simply because it's shorter. Also, Gage's guitars have a different personality, so if you're were wanting the Greenfield tone anyways, probably best to just get it from the source!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomkaitokid View Post
Hi all,

I'm hoping to obtain a Greenfield guitar sometime in the future(either a GF or G1 model). The question I have is should I shop around and hope to find a used one in good condition or join Michael's waitlist which is an upwards of 4 years? I'm not particular about the customization of the guitar; I just really like the tone that all of Michael's guitars have. I've seen a couple of them go up for sale over the past year or so, but they always seem to sell within a couple of days. The other option is build with Halland Guitars who apprenticed under Michael. Gage has some custom build slots open for next year and his guitars also sound amazing to me. I've seen some players and dealers compare the two, but I don't want to do a disservice to Halland Guitars as each builder is unique and I think it would be unfair if I was aiming for a Greenfield guitar from the start. Any comments and thoughts are welcome! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2022, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

Used is good .

Couple of suggestions:
• Put a Wanted to Buy post in the AGF classified section.
• List your contact details (and your interest in a Greenfield) with Paul at Dream Guitars and Mike at Luthiers Collection. They both have large networks.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Tnag has a used GF that just came in. Nice Moonspruce and Mahogany. Price negotiable, I am sure --- and no patience testing wait.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:13 AM

I've owned most of Greenfield's models at one time or another and also a Gage DCH-16. You can't go wrong with either. Why not get the Gage now and when the right Greenfield comes up for sale, trade or sell / buy? You won't be disappointed with either.

Cincy
Old 08-22-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Tnag has a used GF that just came in. Nice Moonspruce and Mahogany. Price negotiable, I am sure --- and no patience testing wait.
https://thenorthamericanguitar.com/p...ruce-pre-owned

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-22-2022, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments all! Will definitely put in my requests with Mike and Paul. I've already reached out to TNAG to see if we can make something happen with this one. Timing seems a little too good to be true just the night before I posted this and one pops up! Maybe it's an indication that it's the one . Also I wouldn't want to get guitars that sound too similar to each other hence why I wouldn't want a Halland for now and then later on try to get my hand on a Greenfield.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi all,

FWIW Gages guitars don’t sound or feel like a Greenfield. There are some aesthetic nods to Michael in Gages rosette and Bridge, but the similarities stop there.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Small update on this. Still negotiating the price, but I know this exact guitar sold from Dream around 2 years ago. Is it fair to have the asking price be closer to what it sold for?
Old 08-26-2022, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Small update on this. Still negotiating the price, but I know this exact guitar sold from Dream around 2 years ago. Is it fair to have the asking price be closer to what it sold for?
Even less to my mind. Lots of wonderful guitars out there and I would not get attached to one name, especially when there is nothing particularly rational about price points above the $5000 mark. The world is awash in monster guitars these days.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Smile True this

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Even less to my mind. Lots of wonderful guitars out there and I would not get attached to one name, especially when there is nothing particularly rational about price points above the $5000 mark. The world is awash in monster guitars these days.
No Kidding! Just look at the beautiful instruments coming To BIG

Sheesh

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-26-2022, 10:57 AM

Two years ago things were really covid crazy. I’m not sure that time frame represents a fair price point comparison for today
Best of luck with your search.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sent you a PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice. I won't get too hung up on this particular one as there are too many amazing guitars out there to strike a bad deal one! I'll keep my eyes on it and monitor for now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
custom build guitar, greenfield, halland guitars