The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM

Default Need Portable Acoustic PA (Crate CA125 RIP)

My trusty Crate CA125 has finally gone on to that coffee house in the sky, which means I need a replacement amp. Here are my requirements and the options I'm considering and appreciate any guidance.

Requirements: I play solo with two or three acoustic guitars (6 and 12 steel string and nylon - all with pickups. K&K's in the steel strings and saddle in the Taylor NS74 nylon). I've typically mic'd but would like to plug in. For vocals I use a Shure SM58 and when I mic it's a Shure SM57

Options:
1. Pre-amp mixer with effects (Xenix or something like it) going into a JBL powered speaker.
2. Trace Elliott acoustic unit (limits me to a single guitar channel since they only have two channels)
3. Fishman Solo (also limits me to two channels)

All three options would be reasonably portable so I consider that a wash among the three but am open to opposing opinions.

Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Jim
'02 Taylor NS74
'13 Taylor GS8 12 string
'03 Martin 00-15
Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Need Portable Acoustic PA (Crate CA125 RIP)

Haven't played the Trace Elliot but the Fishman stuff sounds fantastic and portability if you don't need more than two channels can't be beat.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 AM

Default Portable Acoustic PA

I currently have a Yamaha Stagepas 300...it has 2 speakers, with a mixer that fits into the back of one of the speakers...very lightweight....it has 6 channels, 4 of which are for mic or instrument....it sounds great with all my acoustic electrics (Taylor, Rainsong, Blueridge)...I've gone through almost every acoustic amp out there, and for me this has been the best sounding and most versatile...and what's cool is you can use it with one speaker, with the mixer in place, and you have a nice compact system you can carry in one hand...I've done solo guitar/vocal show outdoors and in small auditoriums...check it out....
Gibson J-35
Larrivee Parlour
Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
Rainsong Shorty
Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany
Yamaha FSX700SC
Cordoba 20 tm-ce Ukulele
Mitchell Baritone Ukulele
Taylor GS MINI e bass
Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 PM

I've been happy with my Crate Gunnison CA6110DG.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:37 PM

Most combo amps are only going to have two channels. If you want to leave all your guitars plugged in all the time or you want to use your pickup and an external mic and a vocal mic you'll need to go with a mixer and speaker. I'd probably go with an Allen and Heath or Soundcraft mixer with effects and the powered speaker of your choice. The hard part is finding a place that carries a variety of gear to try. Otherwise, if you're ok with a two channel amp it'll come down to your budget and sonic preferences - it doesn't sound like anyone is disappointed with the AER Compact 60 but it only has one mic input. Fortunately, it's a good time to look for such gear since it all sounds pretty darn good.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic rabbit View Post
I currently have a Yamaha Stagepas 300...it has 2 speakers, with a mixer that fits into the back of one of the speakers...very lightweight....it has 6 channels, 4 of which are for mic or instrument....it sounds great with all my acoustic electrics (Taylor, Rainsong, Blueridge)...I've gone through almost every acoustic amp out there, and for me this has been the best sounding and most versatile...and what's cool is you can use it with one speaker, with the mixer in place, and you have a nice compact system you can carry in one hand...I've done solo guitar/vocal show outdoors and in small auditoriums...check it out....
I also own a Stagepas 300 and have been very happy with it. The only downside from my perspective is that the built-in "reverb" is poor quality. You can however use the monitor out along with one of the 6 input channels to create an effects loop for any outboard effects you choose. Or you could get a preamp with effects and use one speaker of the Stagepas 300 as a powered speaker with the second speaker as a personal monitor or as sound reinforcement for larger venues. Very versatile unit.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Carvin makes good sounding, reliable gear. I owned and used 2 of their PA heads/mixers on hundreds of gigs. My current PA is a complete Carvin system.

I've never heard any of their acoustic amps, but they do fit your criteria of having at least 3 channels and are portable. The S400D is more like a self-contained PA cab with 4 channels. Check them out.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitara...sticseries.php

BTW, they now have 2 new acoustic models which are not on that link, the AG200 and AG 300. They are in the new catalog.
Good luck.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

+1 on Fishman...I use the Loudbox Artist which has two channels. Very versatile; rugged; compact/lightweight and sounds wonderful both for my vox and guitar. I just posted this in another thread.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:15 PM

I know this has nothing to do with the thread but I still think that is the nicest Takamine I've seen
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I know this has nothing to do with the thread but I still think that is the nicest Takamine I've seen
Kind of you to say; thanks so much! It plays and sounds lovely both plugged and unplugged...here's an unplugged review:http://youtu.be/kuvSJ8qVPhg
Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
+1 on Fishman...I use the Loudbox Artist which has two channels. Very versatile; rugged; compact/lightweight and sounds wonderful both for my vox and guitar. I just posted this in another thread.

I have a Fishman Artist as well and I love it! I've used it for guitar and voice for crowds up to 100 people with no problem.
BTW, Nice Tak!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM

A&H ZED 10FX & a nice powered 12" speaker or two. Hard to beat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fishman soloamp sa220, portable pa