The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2023, 06:07 PM

I appreciate the kind words. I am a very primitive singer and player, and I just do it for fun. My only point in the thread is that no matter how bad you think you sound singing, if you keep doing it, you will get a lot better.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
It’s interesting how many excellent guitarists are also great singers. I would include Clapton and Doc Watson in that group easily.
Vince Gill, Jerry Garcia, Glenn Campbell, Tony Rice, David Gilmour, Warren Haynes, Steve Wariner, and Dickey Betts, to name a few.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I was once a strummer and a singer. I tried to push myself to learn to play some instrumental pieces. In particular I wanted to be able to lead some tunes at a trad (Irish) session.

I have managed that and the very nice knock on benefit is my playing has in general improved so much from where it was (which is coming off a very low bass) and, most importantly, I have a sense of where I need to go with my playing to take the next steps, all of which enhances my enjoyment of my music so much.

So, for example, here’s a song I love that I used to strum along with, and now I’m happy to see I can take a stab at the fingerpicking, and I have found that in the process of getting to that point, my singing got a lot better (ok I think so and so does my mum you may have your own views…)

Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 01-13-2023, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Been singing and playing ever since I picked up my first guitar about 59 years ago. Well, maybe a couple of months after I picked up that guitar as I had to learn to play it well enough first.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 01-16-2023, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
It’s interesting how many excellent guitarists are also great singers. I would include Clapton and Doc Watson in that group easily.
He's definitely a master of blending the two.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:34 AM

Smile

I find singing over fingerpicking to be quite difficult. My guitar interest at present is in fingerpicking only so consequently don't sing. Strumming and singing is different (for me anyway) and I did a lot of that when I was a young man. Don't have much of a singing voice left anyway. Performing for the grandkids would be my only motivation at this point, but that could reduce the time spent with them
Old 01-16-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbraker View Post
I will sing to myself in order to keep my place in song, never next to someone ( don’t want to throw them off) or in a mic for fear of being heard….
Me <raises hand>
Old 01-16-2023, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I've probably already answered on this long running thread, but at the risk of repeating myself.

I took up guitar in the mid '60s because I wanted to sing songs, and playing seemed like the only way to do that.

I often play without singing, for my own amusement, but rarely play an instrumental when playing to an audience.

I know very fine players who NEVER sing, and some who sing but cannot play very well.

I have all aspects come to my club.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I do both, and have since ‘63. Not great at either, but I figure I don’t have to be great to have fun.
'09 00-18 Tim O'Brien | '11 000-18 Norman Blake | '53 D-18 | '68 D-21 | CS21-11 | '83 D-28V |'05 D-18 Authentic | '14 D-28 Authentic | CS D45 | Rockbridge 000 | Rockbridge Smeck | '05 Rockbridge D-21 BRW | Collings MT-2 | National Reso Rocket
Old 01-16-2023, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Interesting. I do both, but as an English prof I've always been more interested in lyrics. I rarely listen to instrumental music.

However, with the recent passing of Jeff Beck, I was looking at some of his performances. He was amazing, such a good player that he didn't NEED words. It helped me understand why he is viewed at such a genius.

scott memmer
Old 01-16-2023, 03:05 PM

Default Sing it

I play to sing along with. Love taking some tunes that grab me when I hear them and figuring out my version, usually leaving out the solos etc.. as I am not good at that.

I don't have a great voice, and I'm just a little more than an open chord strummer, but I have a great time unwinding with a nice glass of bourbon and a play list of songs to sing and strum through.

I'm just good enough that if my friends have had a few bourbons they'll think I'm not bad.

Taylor 324CE Builders Edition
Taylor 314CE
Taylor Mini Mahogany
Ovation 25th Anniversary
Ovation 1982 Balladeer Special
1970ish Sigma D5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion