The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
Exactly!

I hate this place.

That was the other color I was looking at. Insta regret.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:04 AM
Charter Member

Good choice, Dirk. I'm also partial to Strats with noiseless pickups...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Dirk, I haven't read this entire thread, but I bought a one month old like new Players butterscotch Telecaster last year and it's a wonderful guitar. Every bit as good as the '13 American Standard I use to own but with a nicer neck.

If the Player Series Mexican Strats are similar, it's a no brainer. They are lifers.
Good luck

>>>Edit, after going back through the thread... : Ultra!!! Awesome!!! A guy I work with bought a Ultra Bass last year. Really nice piece.. Enjoy yours!!

Last edited by dave42; 04-02-2020 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Photo of my first venture back into electric.... BE FOREWARNED -- GAS in the electric realm is double the economic hit !!! there are guitars and there are amps

Yes on the amps part. I thought I knew what they meant about tone when I moved the knobs on my first solid state practice amps but wow, then there was someone letting me try a 1960s Princeton Reverb. The reissue compared with it was (is) great but that's still a hunk more money than a basic practice amp.

Now there are practice amps like the Yamaha THR that offer that "feel" thing at desktop, tabletop volumes and are super practice tools for other reasons.

My suggestion to Dirk might be difficult with our current retail scenario - delay gratification and try lots of stuff. I had two great Strats - a Squier I fixed up and an AM Dlx. Still, something about Telecasters stuck. It was fun learning that.

Trying lots of electrics including via owning them and selling them was super fun. The only think I didn't care for was Gibson having really crappy finish and at times build quality for stuff priced like Collings and PRS. I haven't tried Henry gone Gibsons, but it looks like they have more affordable ES-335s again.

I would enjoy a Strat once in a while but honestly, I am set for life with a nice single coil and humbucker guitar.

Edit:

Mine was different but has similar color. That curly and spalted wood was so one off that I'd probably recognize it if the current owner posted it.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I hate this place.

That was the other color I was looking at. Insta regret.
You can try my color theory. Natural to always know you have a nice color. This photo is too white whether the guitar or stone.

The pre-sales photo from Dave's is more accurate.

The Collings is not really natural but it's a classic. Knowing your tastes, a Collings electric is worth looking at. Build, finish, tone, dimensional and setup perfection - you'll be set for life.

You can get a pick guard on a SoCo 16 now. This is one of the first, Bill Collings responded to a question saying he was listening to the requests for pick guards but liked the guitar without. I don't have any pick scratches but looking close shows use.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
So I'm going to dive into electric, as I want to learn to solo. First one I want to learn is Comfortably Numb. Learning it on my D-28 but the bends are tough.

I won't be playing out live, just jamming at home and with friends. Which one would you recommend? I understand that neck shape is subjective, but I'd like to hear your subjective thoughts.

I'm thinking Player Series Mexican Strat. Good enough? Thank you!
Congrats on finding a guitar that will last a lifetime. You really can't go wrong with a Strat, as many have said, they are quite versatile guitars!

I have quite a few electric guitars, and many are ridiculously expensive models, but the one I've had longest, is my made in Japan 1984 Fender Squire Strat. The only thing that's original on it is, the body, neck and tuners. It really was a good guitar to begin with (there's a small group of people that search these particular guitars out), but soon as I got it, I modded it to the way I like (vintage style electronic harness including CTS pots, 5-way switch, cap, output jack, Seymour Duncan Alinico II pickups, etc, and american vintage block and bridge, etc). I also added a blower switch to get the middle and back pickup in a noiseless parallel high output config, and it still gives up the goods!

Here it is....

I also have a Strat like G&L Legacy which is cool because it has a bass and treble circuit instead of the typical Strat tone controls. That allows me to cut the lowend of the neck pickup to make it more useful.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Thought I would post this video about Vintage 64 Strats and a new reissue for viewing interest

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-08-2020, 07:55 PM

If you, in the future, look into the Mira, might I recommend also checking out Reverend guitars. Many styles to choose from, and very affordable. A lot of bang for the buck.

And FWIW, my first electric was a Les Paul copy which I later traded up for the real thing. But after that I knew I also had to have a Strat. And if those were the only two models I’d ever get my hands on, I’d die happy. Fortunately, a Tele, a Clapton Strat and an SG somehow managed to follow me home on a few later occasions.

Congrats and welcome to the electric world!

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 04-10-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2558 View Post
If you, in the future, look into the Mira, might I recommend also checking out Reverend guitars. Many styles to choose from, and very affordable. A lot of bang for the buck.

And FWIW, my first electric was a Les Paul copy which I later traded up for the real thing. But after that I knew I also had to have a Strat. And if those were the only two models I’d ever get my hands on, I’d die happy. Fortunately, a Tele, a Clapton Strat and an SG somehow managed to follow me home on a few later occasions.

Congrats and welcome to the electric world!
Very cool looking guitars! The Robin Finck model looks super cool. https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/robin-finck

Thanks for the welcome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars