The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-03-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Agreed. Problem is I’ll have to sell one of my acoustics to be able to snag a decent tube amp. And I really don’t want to do that. But that may be inevitable. I’m loving this Strat and have no interest in limiting its tonal capabilities with a cheap amp...
It's not a cheap amp. I have a Champion 20 that will never be sold or traded. And never given away. You can get a world of tone out of any Fender amp. Fender makes great amps. I've owned several over the years.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
It's not a cheap amp. I have a Champion 20 that will never be sold or traded. And never given away. You can get a world of tone out of any Fender amp. Fender makes great amps. I've owned several over the years.
I've always used Fender amps, not exclusively, but mostly. I've played through a Deluxe Reverb, full tube for the past 12 years, and I constantly get compliments about my tone.

For bass, I play through an Ampeg tube head. But for smaller gigs, I have a Fender Rumble 350 and a small Rumble 40. Excellent bass amps, and again, I get a lot of compliments on the sound.

I'm old school and love tube amps. But the latest technology of solid state is sounding pretty good.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Yes - whenever I hear/read someone new to electric where the interest is peaked, something is going right with the amp. For home use I would stick with what you have, but if you insist on upgrading don’t miss out on a fat, colourful midrange which is the heart and soul of electric and can be appreciated at low volume for home use when necessary. I would go tweed champ handwired EC or something similar - blackface scooped midrange is a one trick pony at low volume and in my opinion a waste of money for home use.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:23 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

So now that I’ve taken my first step into the electric world I see that even a routine NGD thread quickly devolves into a spirited debate about amps and pedals. No wonder I’m hearing the sirens call to hop down that expensive rabbit hole myself.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
So now that I’ve taken my first step into the electric world I see that even a routine NGD thread quickly devolves into a spirited debate about amps and pedals. No wonder I’m hearing the sirens call to hop down that expensive rabbit hole myself.
I’m sure you know my thoughts about pedals already - zero - guitar straight into amp, the latter which has a single tone control, one volume, one input jack, together with volume and tone control on the guitar - *way over the top for flexibility* as is. No rabbit hole for me, thanks, just back to the basics acoustic guitar style.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Problem is I’ll have to sell one of my acoustics to be able to snag a decent tube amp. And I really don’t want to do that. But that may be inevitable. I’m loving this Strat and have no interest in limiting its tonal capabilities with a cheap amp...
As the owner of any Godin, Eastman, or Korean Gretsch Electromatic will be happy to tell you inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap; I've been using these as my go-to amps for a while now, and for a grand total of $600 for both - less than the cost of a single Princeton/Deluxe Reverb RI - you can cover everything from late-night practice to a 700-seat house with all the sweet tube tone you could ask for:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

If you're not familiar, search the reviews here on the Electric subforum from the many satisfied fellow owners - they really are that good - and having played my own Strat through both I think you'll find them to be an excellent combination...
Old 03-03-2020, 03:36 PM

Don't discount the option of a really good solid state modelling amp like a Fender Mustang (at least to begin with) which will be much cheaper (won't have to sell a guitar to afford) and is more practical and versatile (settings, effects, tuner and headphone jack off the top of my head) for home/practice use. (Your Stratocaster like mine will respond beautifully to this type of amp like it would to tubes).

Just a suggestion.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:38 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
As the owner of any Godin, Eastman, or Korean Gretsch Electromatic will be happy to tell you inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap; I've been using these as my go-to amps for a while now, and for a grand total of $600 for both - less than the cost of a single Princeton/Deluxe Reverb RI - you can cover everything from late-night practice to a 700-seat house with all the sweet tube tone you could ask for:

If you're not familiar, search the reviews here on the Electric subforum from the many satisfied fellow owners - they really are that good - and having played my own Strat through both I think you'll find them to be an excellent combination...
Thanks for the tip, Steve. I feel like a newbie all over again in the electric world...

Old 03-03-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
As the owner of any Godin, Eastman, or Korean Gretsch Electromatic will be happy to tell you inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap
Agreed. Lots of great bang-for-buck guitars and amps out there. I have two that have become something of cult classics: the Fender Baja Telecaster and the Vox Pathfinder 15R. It's crazy how good both are for how much they cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Don't discount the option of a really good solid state modelling amp like a Fender Mustang (at least to begin with) which will be much cheaper (won't have to sell a guitar to afford) and is more practical and versatile (settings, effects, tuner and headphone jack off the top of my head) for home/practice use. (Your Stratocaster like mine will respond beautifully to this type of amp like it would to tubes).

Just a suggestion.
The OP mentioned he got a Champion 50XL — right along the same lines but with fewer menus and screens and a more traditional amp look.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, Steve. I feel like a newbie all over again in the electric world...
I can empathize. I didn't get my first electric guitar until I'd been playing acoustic for nearly a decade, and even though another decade has passed since, I still feel like I'm a novice when it comes to electric!
Old 03-05-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
SS amps have their place - especially for clean tones. They are also usually MUCH lighter than tube amps, making them ideal for taking to jams and playing with friends.

Once you buy a tube amp, the difference in warmth and the way a tube amps sound envelopes you rather than putting out a small cone of sound becomes immediately apparent.

They are both good tools to have. Personally I love tube/tube hybrid amps but will likely go with a Pod Go modeling pedal for almost all my live gigs. Just not enough room in my car for 2 speakers, bass amp, guitar amp and 3 guitars & banjo.

I will always have at least one tube amp at home though.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-05-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
...Personally I love tube/tube hybrid amps but will likely go with a Pod Go modeling pedal for almost all my live gigs. Just not enough room in my car for 2 speakers, bass amp, guitar amp and 3 guitars & banjo...
You need a larger car...
Old 03-05-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You need a larger car...

It's a Corolla. Could be worse - could be an MG Midget.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-05-2020, 06:21 PM

Strays are so easy to play...should enjoy it!
Old 03-05-2020, 06:23 PM

Old 03-05-2020, 07:18 PM

That's a beauty. Right colors for the burst, pickguard , aged pickup covers and rosewood neck.

OT: I've been thinking about maybe getting a Vox amplug. How do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo426 View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars