The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-04-2020, 03:53 PM

Default Gretsch 2622 opinions

Ok, it’s been longer than I care to admit since I’ve owned an electric guitar but I need one for a music technology class I’m taking. I want something different from the solid-bodies I’ve owned in the past and I don’t want to invest more than about $500 on an instrument that’s a bit outside my wheelhouse.

I’ve tentatively settled on the Gretsch 2622 as my primary candidate and was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience? I’ll probably have to order one sight unseen since the local stores don’t seem to stock that model.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Ok, it’s been longer than I care to admit since I’ve owned an electric guitar but I need one for a music technology class I’m taking. I want something different from the solid-bodies I’ve owned in the past and I don’t want to invest more than about $500 on an instrument that’s a bit outside my wheelhouse.

I’ve tentatively settled on the Gretsch 2622 as my primary candidate and was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience? I’ll probably have to order one sight unseen since the local stores don’t seem to stock that model.

Thanks!
I’d say great choice in looking for a Gretsch! That being said I’d look for a used 5600 series. The 5600 Korean series with rosewood boards and blacktops or Hi’lo’s punch WAY above their price points.

Of course I’m a Gretsch fan so all Gretsch guitars are cool. Of course, I’m biased.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-04-2020, 04:37 PM

PTony,

Thanks. A used 5600 might be a player but I’m really looking for a fixed bridge. I haven’t seen any in that series yet.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:55 PM

As an ever-increasing number of happy fellow AGF'ers will attest (see above), save up a few extra bucks and spring for a Korean-made 5400/5600-Series Electromatic - chances are not only will you be keeping it well after your music tech class is over, but it'll become an anchor (if not the centerpiece) in your collection. Just for reference, the 2000-Series Streamliners are entry-level instruments plain and simple, generic in both construction and tone (quite honestly, Ibanez does it far better at this price point), whereas the MIK E-Matics are fully professional guitars in all respects, that just happen to have a price tag that makes them affordable to the average Working Joe/Jane: QC/playability rival name-brand hollows/semis at three and four times the price, and if you've ever wanted to capture the iconic "Great Gretsch Sound" of Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy, George Harrison, Neil Young, Stephen Stills, and Brian Setzer (among others), speaking as a lifetime Gretsch owner (including a recent 5622 Electromatic) these are the real deal...

Something like this should get you off to a good start:

http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/grets...ar-mint-ss2416 (full hollow-body)

http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/grets...ge-2018-ss2829 (center-block semi-hollow)

BTW these are both fixed-bridge models - the 5422's bridge base is pinned to the top while the 5622's bridge is mounted on studs like the Gibson 335...
Old 02-04-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

here's a fun, informative video from Andertons regarding the 2622 and some of the 5000 series. scroll down under the video and it lists the exact models of each.

enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cekfOEFQJCY
Old 02-04-2020, 08:07 PM

Steve,

Thanks. It’s not really a matter of saving up; I could easily afford to spend more. Instead, it’s a matter of not wanting to invest too much in an instrument that likely won’t get much play long term. I figured $500 would get me something with acceptable playability. I’ll have to check out some of the Ibanez equivalents based on your observation that they do this price point better.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
here's a fun, informative video from Andertons regarding the 2622 and some of the 5000 series. scroll down under the video and it lists the exact models of each.

enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cekfOEFQJCY
Wow! That was a really entertaining video! Impressive playing and impressive sounds from those guitars!

- Glenn
Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 AM

I picked up a 5422TG a few weeks ago.

(Electromatic Double Cut-away with gold hardware)

it's Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwsome.....
Old 02-05-2020, 07:21 AM

I bought the G5220 just before Christmas for £360. It is the gold solid body guitar the guy on the left played first in that video.
I didn't want a hollow body or a bigsby and didn't want to spend much.

The guitar is great for the price though at some point I will probably swap out the stock pickups.

I would easily rate this Chinese budget guitar as high as my Classic Vibe Telecaster.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-05-2020, 04:29 PM

Default New G5622 on closeout

Adorama (through the slick deals site) has NEW Korean Gretsch G5622s (right now in Georgia Green and Walnut) on sale for less than $450 with free shipping: Better get with it soon! Snooze=lose.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13843880-gr...?src=catpagev2
Old 02-05-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Adorama (through the slick deals site) has NEW Korean Gretsch G5622s (right now in Georgia Green and Walnut) on sale for less than $450 with free shipping: Better get with it soon! Snooze=lose.

I'd move on this now, before your fellow AGF'ers clean them out in the next 24 hours - like they did with the $399 Guild D-1212 Sweetwater was offering a couple years ago...
Old 02-05-2020, 05:49 PM

When I was looking for a hollow bodied electric to balance my acoustic guitars, and something with more body than a Telecaster I bought a Gretsch Nashville and it was a great choice. Although mine was from the 60's, the basic Gretsch look and sound really rang my bell and it is a great compliment to my other guitars. I play it all the time.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post

I bought the Georgia Green version and it's a legit steal at that price for a Korean made Gretsch, bonus is that it's loaded with the well regarded Super HiLo'Tron pickups. I did wind up changing the stock Bigsby spring for the softer Reverend and the infamous Gretsch rattle-o-matic for an ABM 2400 roller bridge, both additions made this just a superb playing guitar.
Several of those new fangled electrics:
PRS
Gibson
Fender
Gretsch
Old 02-05-2020, 08:16 PM

Thanks for all the great input. I certainly appreciate the aficionados who (quite rightly) like the 5000 series Gretschs. After considering everything and in light of the fact I’m looking for a budget guitar without a trem I ordered a 2622 for just over three bills new. The video above pushed me over the edge. Thanks for all the input!!
Old 02-05-2020, 10:57 PM

Probably threw away $487, including tax, because it seems too good to be true at half price. However, the Sweetwater Guild D1212 at half off was legitimate so I am taking the chance. For a 12 string I was looking at a Taylor 562ce until the Sweetwater deal popped up a few years ago. I was at GC looking at the Gretsch Player models yesterday. As the D1212 scratched my 12 string itch, this G5620T I hope will scratch my Gretsch itch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars