The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-07-2020, 04:45 AM

Default Squire vs Aria (Have electric question)

Greetings

I have a Yahama C40 although want to practice more during the week. A cut dish sponge works well to dampen sound but does not allow notes to ring.

S0 am looking at the Squire Bullet stratocaster or telecaster, or the Aria STG 003. My preference is to have a SSS model and hard tail or easy to add extra spring.

Does anyone have an opinion on these options? Also would you consider a second hand one? Previously especially this price range usually go for a new guitar although there is a second hand Aria in my local area half the price.

Cheerio
Old 04-07-2020, 05:20 AM

Years ago I purchased an Squire Strat HSS to practice with. Makes sense...its quiet, you easy access all the way up the neck so you can learn the fretboard easier, have less pressure on your fingers while learning new chord forms and you have a pretty good inexpensive electric guitar when you want to plug in.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:30 AM

Years ago I purchased an Squire Strat HSS to practice with. Makes sense...its quiet, you easy access all the way up the neck so you can learn the fretboard easier, have less pressure on your fingers while learning new chord forms and you have a pretty good inexpensive electric guitar when you want to plug in.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:39 AM

Are you looking to practice classical music on the electric? Guessing you already know this but in case - biggest differences between the Squire (and guessing the Aria as well) and the Yamaha will be the nut width and the fretboard radius ... and strings obviously.

You should be able to pick up an inexpensive used Squire. Unfortunately with everything closed that going to be a little difficult.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Dumb question but have you looked into the Yamaha Silent guitar? Given what you currently own they may be too pricey for your budget, but a used entry level model could be doable. IIRC 'silent type' guitars are also made by other companies at a fraction of the Yamaha price (...but I won't vouch for the quality!)

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 04-14-2020, 04:10 AM

Hello

Thanks for the replies, yes am looking just to practice more often, chords and scales etc. That Aria already sold unfortunately, have looked into the silent guitar although never played it, the design might not suit the way I play however. I don't actually like guitars with strings close together so might have to try in store.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM

Fretboard radius feel is so different but for just practice maybe not be an issue to you. Some players adapt to anything. One thought that's odd but could work is get a 5 string nut made for the spacing and ditch a string - the bridge would be an issue even with a traditional fender wide bridge, but again how much does it matter is for each of us. Or a cheap classical and cut the back out and dampen the top, that will make it 'quieter'
Or try filling the c40 with something easy to remove and cover the sound hole... there must be ways to get by without a second instrument
Old 04-14-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Notes View Post
Hello

Thanks for the replies, yes am looking just to practice more often, chords and scales etc. That Aria already sold unfortunately, have looked into the silent guitar although never played it, the design might not suit the way I play however. I don't actually like guitars with strings close together so might have to try in store.
If you don't want strings that are close together don't buy a squier. Wide on an electric is 1 & 11/16ths. 1 & 5/8ths is very common. Steel string guitars and electrics especially are a poor fit for you by your own description.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-22-2020, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the replies

It is interesting about the nut width because years ago my friend had a 2004 Highway One Stratocaster that was originally used at some prestige private school for guitar lessons.

One way or another he got the guitar and this goes to show how every guitar is so unique, the nut width was the same as my 2009 Highway One although it was filed with strings spaced further apart.

I always enjoyed playing that guitar even more so than mine and tried to purchase it from him numerous times, have not seen this person in several years although know they would still have it.

Hopefully can find one like this that has the grooves spaced a little further apart.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
If you don't want strings that are close together don't buy a squier. Wide on an electric is 1 & 11/16ths. 1 & 5/8ths is very common. Steel string guitars and electrics especially are a poor fit for you by your own description.
This^^^^^^^^^^^ And the fact that Squiers are tiny guitars in every regard. Squiers have a 'toy' feel to me.

IMO you need to look for a guitar that is at least similar to your main guitar. With that in mind I would never buy a 'practice' guitar.

BTW, have you ever seen a concert where the guitarist takes the volume down so much that you could hear a pin drop.?? I love doing that. Once again, you need to practice on your main guitar. Turn the volume up loud and play softly. Real softly. Practice it. THAT alone will make you a better player.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
This^^^^^^^^^^^ And the fact that Squiers are tiny guitars in every regard. Squiers have a 'toy' feel to me.

IMO you need to look for a guitar that is at least similar to your main guitar. With that in mind I would never buy a 'practice' guitar.

BTW, have you ever seen a concert where the guitarist takes the volume down so much that you could hear a pin drop.?? I love doing that. Once again, you need to practice on your main guitar. Turn the volume up loud and play softly. Real softly. Practice it. THAT alone will make you a better player.
Squiers are tiny? Two of my 3 electric gigging guitars are Squiers and they don't feel cheap or tiny. My Squier Strat is at least 1.5 lbs heavier than my Strat shaped G&L Ascari.

There is a big difference between a Bullet and a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squier. Many club performers use them.

My main point is that I think that I would find it quite difficult to go from a Classical, wide necked nylon string guitar to a 1 & 11/16 or 1 & 5/8 nut electric. Night and day to me, perhaps the OP is more adaptable than I.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 04-22-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Notes View Post
Thanks for the replies

It is interesting about the nut width because years ago my friend had a 2004 Highway One Stratocaster that was originally used at some prestige private school for guitar lessons.

One way or another he got the guitar and this goes to show how every guitar is so unique, the nut width was the same as my 2009 Highway One although it was filed with strings spaced further apart.

I always enjoyed playing that guitar even more so than mine and tried to purchase it from him numerous times, have not seen this person in several years although know they would still have it.

Hopefully can find one like this that has the grooves spaced a little further apart.
Great point - although nut width can be the same for different guitars but some nuts may be cut differently and sometimes those differences are mistakes with the high and/or low E string(s) ending up too close to the edge of the fretboard. String spacing at the bridge may also be different.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Squiers are tiny? Two of my 3 electric gigging guitars are Squiers and they don't feel cheap or tiny. My Squier Strat is at least 1.5 lbs heavier than my Strat shaped G&L Ascari.

There is a big difference between a Bullet and a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squier. Many club performers use them.

My main point is that I think that I would find it quite difficult to go from a Classical, wide necked nylon string guitar to a 1 & 11/16 or 1 & 5/8 nut electric. Night and day to me, perhaps the OP is more adaptable than I.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Squire guitars are not the same 'scale' as Fender guitars. Right.?? Maybe I'm wrong. Don't think so. And where did I use the word cheap.?? I didn't. You did.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Squire guitars are not the same 'scale' as Fender guitars. Right.?? Maybe I'm wrong. Don't think so. And where did I use the word cheap.?? I didn't. You did.
No, they are the same scale length 25.5" and the bodies are the same. There is often a difference in the wood used for the body, but that is true throughout the entire Fender line as well. Same size as their Fender counterparts.

The main differences are the quality of the hardware and wiring (pots, switches, etc). They can feel cheap on lower end Squiers, but the VM and CV models are a huge step up and many are on par w/MIM Fenders.

Not sure why you would think Squiers are small. They do make Mini Squiers aimed at the kids market though.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars