The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Default New pickup day

I bought this Jackson new back in 93. It is a USA build and has a neck that I like.

Back then I knew way less than I do now about guitars and didn't have a good feel for what I wanted tone wise. Turns out I like more jazz and blues / rock than metal and the Jackson is more of a shredding machine.

A while back I picked up my hollow bodies and this one has been sitting. I had an extra pickup that I had purchased for another project and thought I'd give it a go in this one.

I setup a Seymour Duncan lil 59 for the neck pickup and wired it split coil for the 4th position combined with the middle pup.

Really pleased with how this changed the guitar. I now have some warmer jazz / blues type and a lovely clean single coil sound on the 4th position.

Amazing what just changing pickups will do.IMG_20200327_191211864.jpg
Old 03-27-2020, 10:32 PM

Very cool guitar. Play it well.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 AM

A USA made Jackson... sweet. That '59 should sound great.

Did you just put it in this week because you had time due to the stay at home order for most of us? Great use of time.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Yes sir it is a Corona project. I live in Seattle so pretty much stuck inside at home

The guitar by serial number was made in the first year of the Ontario California USA production. It's a 1990 USA Fusion which are pretty rare.

I finally needed to take a break so focused on the project for the day. I had to use my router a bit on the cavity to get the cable to fit in correctly.

Definitely liking the '59. I also finally figured out what the heck the je 1500 active midboost preamp actually is and does and found how to adjust it. Still trying to decide if I want to keep that or gut it and go over to a more traditional passive setup with new pots / caps etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
A USA made Jackson... sweet. That '59 should sound great.

Did you just put it in this week because you had time due to the stay at home order for most of us? Great use of time.

Last edited by Aspiring; 03-28-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Yes sir it is a Corona project. I live in Seattle so pretty much stuck inside at home

The guitar by serial number was made in the first year of the Ontario California USA production. It's a 1990 USA Fusion which are pretty rare.

I finally needed to take a break so focused on the project for the day. I had to use my router a bit on the cavity to get the cable to fit in correctly.

Definitely liking the '59. I also finally figured out what the heck the je 1500 active midboost preamp actually is and does and found how to adjust it. Still trying to decide if I want to keep that or gut it and go over to a more traditional passive setup with new pots / caps etc.
Very cool

Yes perhaps we are seeing some new phrasing come into the language.
"Corona Project" "Pre Corona" "Post Corona". maybe like pre and post lawsuit

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars