The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
From what I've read, the folks who are using the "pre-focusing" trick are doing it in conjunction with selecting "manual focus" mode with their cameras to prevent the camera from changing light levels drastically as it attempts to grab focus.

Just something to keep in mind when shooting with a smart phone.

Definitely.The other issue is auto-white balance. I'd move the guitar a little, picking up a reflection, and the whole video would go dark as the camera tried to compensate. Seems to me like my iphone is actually a lot better at all this than my DSLR cameras.

For focusing, I usually just put the guitar on a stand right in front of my chair, which ends up being pretty much where I hold it, and focus on that. I can be a little fuzzy, I don't mind :-) as long as the guitar is in focus.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Ah i assumed your camera just had autofocus in video mode. So you manually focus everything?
Old 04-15-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Ah i assumed your camera just had autofocus in video mode. So you manually focus everything?
You mean me? Yes, I do have autofocus on my cameras, but I find that sometimes you see it working. I just do everything on my cameras in manual mode, focus, white balance, ISO, aperature settings, etc.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

I have never used a DSLR but did use a couple Sony mirrorless cameras that I liked, though for a lot of stuff I actually use video "camcorders" because they have better low-light capability unless you get a really nice lens.

And, the other thing all consumer and some pro-sumer camcorders have is a screen that flips around so you can view what is being filmed in cases where you might be the subject, or the camera is in a location where getting behind the camera is not possible. (I've put cameras in restaurant wine racks, dormers, etc.) They are relatively affordable, too.

I found camcorders can handle longer shooting times if you have something where you want (or have) to leave it unattended for long time. (My one Sony would start to overheat after a while and once it did that, it was basically done.)
Old 04-15-2020, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I found camcorders can handle longer shooting times if you have something where you want (or have) to leave it unattended for long time. (My one Sony would start to overheat after a while and once it did that, it was basically done.)
That's an important point about DSLRs. Some have limited video time. Some overheat after a while. One reason I use the Panasonics - thanks to Fran Guidry's recommendation - they don't have a video length limit and don't overheat.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:10 AM

My canon dslr 70d has a flip around screen. My ipad shoots 4k.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You mean me? Yes, I do have autofocus on my cameras, but I find that sometimes you see it working. I just do everything on my cameras in manual mode, focus, white balance, ISO, aperature settings, etc.
Oops yea, I meant you Doug. Forgot to specifically mention your name

Thanks that is great to know. I guess there goes my reason for wanting a new camera, which was mainly for the auto focus in video mode. I am going to try focusing on my guitar in front of the chair, and then experimenting with the ISO and aperature so the focus is not as sensitive.

I have run into the video recording time limit with my Canon. Not a huge deal, but it does mean i have to get up and record a new take on the camera whenever I screw up. It would be convenient to just be able to sit in the chair till I get it right on video.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

The Zoom Q8 is a pretty good value if you are getting started in making some decent videos. The X-Y mics supplied with it are pretty good and you can plug in higher quality external mics. The video quality can be grainy with indoor shooting but it’s a pretty user friendly package. Download the file to your favorite video editor and DAW for further processing.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Oops yea, I meant you Doug. Forgot to specifically mention your name

Thanks that is great to know. I guess there goes my reason for wanting a new camera, which was mainly for the auto focus in video mode. I am going to try focusing on my guitar in front of the chair, and then experimenting with the ISO and aperature so the focus is not as sensitive.
I think auto-focus can work, depending on ???. I used to use a cheap little Sanyo Camcoder for 1 view, and tho the picture quality wasn't as good as my other cameras, I woudl just use it in auto-mode, and it always seemed fine. But I'd use it as closeup view, so there weren't many choices for it to latch onto. Teja uses his Zoom camera, and I suspect it only has auto-mode. I've just had enough videos where something went wonky with the focus, color balance, etc because I moved, or a reflection his my guitar, etc, that I went to manual on everything. The only hassle is focus, but I've sort of got it to where I don't mess up too often.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think auto-focus can work, depending on ???. I used to use a cheap little Sanyo Camcoder for 1 view, and tho the picture quality wasn't as good as my other cameras, I woudl just use it in auto-mode, and it always seemed fine. But I'd use it as closeup view, so there weren't many choices for it to latch onto. Teja uses his Zoom camera, and I suspect it only has auto-mode. I've just had enough videos where something went wonky with the focus, color balance, etc because I moved, or a reflection his my guitar, etc, that I went to manual on everything. The only hassle is focus, but I've sort of got it to where I don't mess up too often.
Are you using the Panasonic Image App? This lets you use your phone/pad to monitor and adjust the settings remotely, including touch focus. This capability is another reason Lumix G series cameras do good work.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Are you using the Panasonic Image App? This lets you use your phone/pad to monitor and adjust the settings remotely, including touch focus. This capability is another reason Lumix G series cameras do good work.

Fran
You know, I tried that early on, haven't in a long time. I should try it again. I did get some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077FTPT46

Which really help me see from across the room. They also have their own focus guides, in addition the the focus help on the newer cameras.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckgoodbar View Post
I would like to do some video recordings of solo acoustic songs in my home and send them on Vimeo. I could use some recommendations for mid price, but good value, camcorders to accomplish this. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ignoring the bad lighting behind me, what do you think of this video & audio quality? And be as critical as you need to be!

HE
Old 04-22-2020, 11:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Ignoring the bad lighting behind me, what do you think of this video & audio quality? And be as critical as you need to be!

HE
Looks and sounds very good to me Howard, especially the audio. What did you use?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD