The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-26-2022, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Default And now: the X20...

Another e-mail from the folks at Emerald. First, there was a bevy of of X7s. Then, even more Virtuos. And today: a plethora of X20s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUPO75W13RU

Contrary to what some have implied, I don't have any Emerald inside information, but they sure have an amazing selection of guitars in stock! If you need a dose of guitar eye-candy, check out these latest videos.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Another e-mail from the folks at Emerald. First, there was a bevy of of X7s. Then, even more Virtuos. And today: a plethora of X20s...

Contrary to what some have implied, I don't have any Emerald inside information, but they sure have an amazing selection of guitars in stock! If you need a dose of guitar eye-candy, check out these latest videos.
They really do have a tremendous selection of guitars in stock.

Unless one was really fussy about options, and/or didn’t mind the wait for a personal build, a stock guitar would be a great option, with a friendlier return policy than for a custom instrument.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 07-26-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Talking Mmmmmm Koa

Send me one of each with Koa tops except the Synergy Uke cuz I already got one
Old 07-26-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Boy, Captain Jim gets all the good info first ! Some real beauties there.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Boy, Captain Jim gets all the good info first ! Some real beauties there.
Some beauties indeed!

But, I feel compelled to protect the good Captain from the scurrilous rumours that he’s some kind of Emerald stooge by mentioning that I had just finished watching the video in question some 10 minutes before he posted about it.

And while I’m an unabashed Emerald fan, I also have no insider information
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-26-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

When the X7 post was made in the last month or so, I went online and looked and there were a lot of X7s, but all were fairly pricy configurations. There were almost no base price models to be found in that batch. When I bought my current X7 back in late March, there were quite a few stock X7s on the but a LOT of base price guitars available, totally base models with pickups and even a few without. I bought a base price model with a pickup - might have gone for no pickup but they didn't have any in a color I wanted - amber is about their only option I like, particularly with no veneer. I was kind of concerned at the lack of base models in that more recent X7 post. Kind of relieved to see quite a few base, or near-base priced X20s available on the site right now. Seems like there should always be a decent number of the least expensive models available. It's not like THOSE are inexpensive, just relatively so...

-Ray
Old 07-26-2022, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I guess it's all relative: when I bought my first Emerald, it was not long after they had gone to the direct-to-customer business model, and they had Opus or Artisan models. I had a choice of one to pick from.

I see all these beautiful Emeralds in so many different finishes, hardware, inlay, and pickup options, and think: this is a wonderful time to be a guitar player!

The prices have gone up some since I bought that first Emerald, but not as much as the price of cars, houses, and gas. Or groceries! You can get 'em basic (but still spectacular) or blinged out to your heart's content. And did I mention: so many to choose from!

Think about the price you paid for any nice guitar you own. Would you give it up for the price you paid for it? Could you replace it for that price? Is it "just a guitar," or is it something special to you? While I know they could be replaced, my Emeralds and a few of my wood guitars are special to me. I don't consider them expensive - to me, they are priceless.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the link...just bought the candy striped Padouk!

Kevin
Old 08-03-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruption View Post

Kevin
Congrats! That's a beauty!

Old 08-03-2022, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Congratulations - and welcome to the AGF! Do let us know your impressions once it arrives.

‘Padauk’ is, next to ‘Cocobolo’, my most favourite word to hear Mr. Hay say on a shipping video
Cordoba Stage

Old 08-03-2022, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Kevin
Very nice. Welcome to the AGF, and as another Emerald owner. Post a picture if you get a chance.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:26 PM

I will definitely post pics. But I have to say it’s not my first Emerald purchase.
I ordered a X10 in Spalted Chen Chen last week, so I have 2 guitars coming within a week of each other.

I’m probably going to keep just one. I just couldn’t decide which one. It’s going to come down to neck comfort, Graphtec/Krivo vs Graphtec/K&K, raw acoustic tone, and body comfort. I’m not a MIDI person, but the X10 has it…I was going to do a Custom order, but the Chen Chen top on the “in stock” guitar was beautiful so I ordered it.

I’ve had a Composite Acoustics OX for the last 6 years with a LR Baggs Session and it’s been awesome, but I’ve been itching for a change.

I really love the improvements to the Emerald line so it’s time to give ‘em a try.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Ok, the black quilted maple did get my attention

I couldn't find an explanation of the two different bridges I see ... one is a pinless bridge, the other looks like it is adjustable?

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-04-2022, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Ok, the black quilted maple did get my attention

I couldn't find an explanation of the two different bridges I see ... one is a pinless bridge, the other looks like it is adjustable?
The pinless traditional bridge is the base offering, with or without an LR Baggs Element pickup. It’s also used if you chose the HyVibe system, available on some models. The adjustable one uses Graphtech Piezo saddles, which can also be configured with a 13-pin output, and paired with K&Ks.

The jury is out on the pinless bridge - while it looks neat, it can be a pain in the butt to change strings with, although many of us have either no trouble, or have developed easy workarounds. The Graphtech bridge has also aroused some suspicion, largely because “everyone knows acoustics don’t have adjustable bridges”, but I haven’t seen a single negative report from anyone who’s actually seen or played an Emerald equipped with one.

Oh, and I think the black quilted maple is stunning
Cordoba Stage

Old 08-04-2022, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...so I have 2 guitars coming within a week of each other...
Oh that's gonna be fun.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions of how the two compare.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber