The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Default D35 Cutaways

I’m in the market for a decent cutaway... I see a ton of 000-0000 cutaways... but not too many D35 cutaways, although they’re out there. Perhaps because the D35s are known more as chord and singer instruments? Rather than a finger picking soloist guitar?

Anybody own or try a D cutaway? Martin or any brand. Thoughts?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

You need to talk to Gary Roberts...he has both Martin D-18 & HD-28 with cutaways.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:51 AM

I haven't seen a DC-35 in the wild, not sure if they're even in the current line-up. I've had a DC-16RGTE for years, I don't think they're as good now because Martin cut corners on the materials with newer models. I would say it has about 90% of the tone of a D-35. My D-35 has a deeper, louder tone. I'd love to find a DC-35E (with electronics) but I think I'd have to order it.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewStrummer View Post
I’m in the market for a decent cutaway... I see a ton of 000-0000 cutaways... but not too many D35 cutaways, although they’re out there. Perhaps because the D35s are known more as chord and singer instruments? Rather than a finger picking soloist guitar?

Anybody own or try a D cutaway? Martin or any brand. Thoughts?
* I'll second Jim's aka llew's, recommendation to consult with Gary aka Broberts here on the forum, he has two Martin beauties that sound great that he plays so wonderfully!

* Other brands with great cutaway dreads you ask? Takamine has a few MIJ models that are excellent. I had the P3DC that was a beast! Plus they have a gorgeous torrified model EF360SC TT: https://www.esptakamine.com/products...8042-tt-series

eric
Old 01-25-2019, 10:42 AM

My main guitar is a Johnny Cash D35... I’ve been looking for a backup.. and a cutaway... always wondered what a single cut D35 with the JC specs (forward X, Engelman Top, East Indian Rosewood back and sides, genuine mahogany neck... would sound like. Actually called Martin for a custom price and ir was very reasonable.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:51 AM

There are a few DC-35e on Reverb...

I have played the DC-28e a few times, it's good... I have found that the cutaway models don't sound exactly the same as the regular ones. I don't know if the bracing is in slightly different location due to the cutaway or what, but they have all seemed a tad "tighter" and "brighter" than their non-cutaway counterparts. This was observed in a fairly obvious direct comparison a few times.

My favorite cutaway that I've played from the Martin lineup is the 2018-current OMC-28e with the reimagined appointments and scalloped bracing. Really sweet guitar!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Gary Roberts at your service. I have been gigging extensively with a 2018 Cutaway Martin (DC-18E) and recently (as of Jan 7th, 2019) added a Martin HDC-28E. Both have the Martin factory installed LR Baggs Anthem. I gigged both guitars last night in fact!

I also was privileged to hear fellow AGF member AeroUSA gig his Martin HDC-28E on a visit I took to NYC early December 2018. As a listener I was blown away ...hence my order for an HDC-28E for myself.

Bot these models are currently available from Martin and various dealers. I got both of mine from Sweetwater.

I have bought and sold a LOT of acoustics and these two cutaways for me are the best I've ever gigged with amplified and I love both of them acoustically as well. The Baggs Anthem PU for me is without parallel as a plug n play pickup that sounds very natural and is very resistant to feedback. Not impervious, but more resistant than any other PU. The battery lasts for months based on a weekly gigging schedule.

For gigging, I still find the DC-18E to be the front runner. It is organic and enhances my singing in addition to cutting well in a loud venue or music mix. The HDC-28 is rosewood and I am loving it for the ways the Rosewood offers tremendous sustain and harmonically "precise" detail. Each note and string-to-string sounds are a bit more 'pristine'. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. Good when I play cleanly. Bad ...because if I don't play cleanly, the notes are more 'laser' like and precise, so mistakes seem to be a little more "out in the open". Just a recent observation. But I still need to optimize the set up on the HDC-28. My DC-18E (Mahogany/sitka) plays like butter and has become an extension of my hands.

You cannot go wrong with either the DC-18 or HDC-28. But I strongly suggest the Anthem over the Fishman PU for natural tone, battery life and feedback resistance.

Here are a few video's I made recently. (The last video includes a Gibson J45cutaway that I am selling)

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 PM

Hey Gary, thanks for that... pretty amazing videos and a nice arsenal of guitars you got there. Your definitely the right guy to show case D cutaways.

What’s your preference on nut scale? 1 3/4 or 1 11/16?
Old 01-25-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

I have bought and sold a LOT of acoustics and these two cutaways for me are the best I've ever gigged with amplified and I love both of them acoustically as well. The Baggs Anthem PU for me is without parallel as a plug n play pickup that sounds very natural and is very resistant to feedback. Not impervious, but more resistant than any other PU. The battery lasts for months based on a weekly gigging schedule.

For gigging, I still find the DC-18E to be the front runner. It is organic and enhances my singing in addition to cutting well in a loud venue or music mix. The HDC-28 is rosewood and I am loving it for the ways the Rosewood offers tremendous sustain and harmonically "precise" detail. Each note and string-to-string sounds are a bit more 'pristine'. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. Good when I play cleanly. Bad ...because if I don't play cleanly, the notes are more 'laser' like and precise, so mistakes seem to be a little more "out in the open". Just a recent observation. But I still need to optimize the set up on the HDC-28. My DC-18E (Mahogany/sitka) plays like butter and has become an extension of my hands.

You cannot go wrong with either the DC-18 or HDC-28. But I strongly suggest the Anthem over the Fishman PU for natural tone, battery life and feedback resistance.

Here are a few video's I made recently. (The last video includes a Gibson J45cutaway that I am selling)

Of the three in this posting I have to give the nod to the HD28. While the D-18 sounds good, I think it lacks the high end presence of the HD28, perhaps making the D-18 a better instrument for vocal accompaniment and the HD28 better for solistic stuff where you need full punch and articulation across the tonal spectrum.

... But a D35 cutaway???... Blasphemy, I say :0 !

Quote:
I definitely prefer 1 3/4 without question! For what I do, the extra width allows me to play cleaner without accidentally muting the adjacent strings with my fingering hand.
I take it you've never played violin, Gary
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewStrummer View Post
Hey Gary, thanks for that... pretty amazing videos and a nice arsenal of guitars you got there. Your definitely the right guy to show case D cutaways.

What’s your preference on nut scale? 1 3/4 or 1 11/16?
Glad to help Drewstrummer! I definitely prefer 1 3/4 without question! For what I do, the extra width allows me to play cleaner without accidentally muting the adjacent strings with my fingering hand.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-25-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Gary Roberts at your service. I have been gigging extensively with a 2018 Cutaway Martin (DC-18E) and recently (as of Jan 7th, 2019) added a Martin HDC-28E. Both have the Martin factory installed LR Baggs Anthem. I gigged both guitars last night in fact!

I also was privileged to hear fellow AGF member AeroUSA gig his Martin HDC-28E on a visit I took to NYC early December 2018. As a listener I was blown away ...hence my order for an HDC-28E for myself.

Bot these models are currently available from Martin and various dealers. I got both of mine from Sweetwater.

Your description of the characteristics of rosewood in the hands of Martin is excellent. Good thread.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:35 AM

Those videos are wonderfully made, you can really hear the tone of each guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion