The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Have you ever tried a Blue Chip thumb pick?
Hi Good'all,

No I haven't. Only because I don't "perform" fingerpicking - unless I'm playing Dobro (sadly a bit rare nowadays). I finger pick at home but I am blessed with good fingernails and so thumb picks just not that important to me.
I'm sure BC s would be great.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:50 PM

Pick manufacturing is not a perfect science. They cut em, heat em, shape em. But they are only as exacting as the material and the process. My two go-to thumb picks these days are Golden Gate super heavies (like the others have mentioned previously) and Herco Heavies.

I am fortunate to live within 15 minutes of a store that carries a wide variety of picks (shout out to Guitar Works, Evanston IL) and I have the good fortune to be able to drive over and personally select my picks. Every pick has a slightly different feel to it as it wraps the thumb. I've got several of he aforementioned picks and of those I have my favorites with the others in "reserve". And those were selected from a larger batch.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-25-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadmandu View Post
Does anyone have a problem trying to find one that fits?
HI Ca-ndu

I used to order Gibson Mediums from my music store, but they stopped carrying them. I took them to the bench grinder to shorten them and cleaned them up with sandpaper.

They fit my fat thumb, and shortened, they fit my style (I don't like the long pointy parts of them). The Dunlop large is smaller than a Gibson medium.

I doubt Gibson made them, but I did land a bag of 50 of them on e-bay about a decade ago, and I've not used them up yet (and never broke one at the joint). The DO NOT put my thumb to sleep or cause it to turn-blue.

As you can see, these are pretty thick - so they don't work like a flat pick (which I don't use em for that). These days all I ever grab one for is if I need to do a really Thumpin' version of a Travis-pick song.

And the point is I had to search for them…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-25-2019, 01:22 PM

None of them fit. You have to put them in boiling water and shape them to fit.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 01-25-2019, 02:49 PM

I have literally just found one that I like, after years of searching! And I've tried them all, but there's always something I don't like - the fin is too long, or the bit that wraps around your thumb snags on the strings etc. But I noticed Hobgoblin music (in England) stock the John Pearse vintage thumb picks and as I'd never been able to get hold of them before I bought a pack of ten online (took a bit of a gamble). Anyways, the fin length is perfect, and there's no snagging on the strings whatsoever. I just needed to dip them in hot water for a little while to 'open' them up a little and now they're a perfect fit!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:57 PM

I use Dunlop smalls. (Yes they're probably too tight but I like the blade).
Old 01-25-2019, 06:58 PM

For many years I used Dobro clear plastic thumb picks, and then switched to Dunlops when the Dobros were no longer available. I now use these and I'm very happy with them:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop/...Gold-4-Pack.gc

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Red Bear picks have a metal band that is quite adjustable. You can keep bending it until it’s comfrtable. Their picks are also exceptionally durable. Mine is several years old. Perhaps 8 or 9 at this point?
Old 01-26-2019, 12:14 AM

Default Thumb pics that actually fit

I use Fred Kelly (orange ) speedpick thumpicks I have done for the last eight years . Great sound and feel if they are good enough for Doyle Dykes they are fine for me I drop in hot water to mould to my shape and I don’t know that I have them on
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-26-2019, 08:38 AM

I use Fred Kelley regular Delrin thumb picks. They generally fit right out of the box if not they can be heated and bent to shape.

That said, I only use thumb picks for finger picking. I've never found one that works for up strums that you mention. I can only do that with a flat pick. If you watch someone like Richard Thompson use a flat pick and can finger pick with the other three fingers - I am very far away from being able to do that.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 01-26-2019, 08:42 AM

FK Speedpick is what Im using. I dont have to adjust them but people have different size thumbs.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:41 AM

Once I tried Fred Kelly speed picks I never looked back!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:03 AM

For years I heat molded whatever National, Dunlop or generic thumbpick I had to fit. For the last few years though I've used a Blue Chip more happily than ever. I have two, and God help me if I never lose one I'll likely never need another.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I play finger style mostly and use a thumb pick and my own nails. I have tried most thumb picks made of various plastics and they seem too small for my thumbs and they break at the bend in a short time. They also are inconsistent in their shape and length. Their large size is too small for me and too tight. The National faux tortoise worked the best, but they too broke quickly.

I ended up with Blue Chip JD Crowe thumb picks. They have the shortest blade of their offerings. They wear like iron and have great feel and secure positioning.

I also play banjo and the same pick works great. I am a happy picker.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:32 AM

http://www.strum-n-comfort.com/ .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion