The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 09:25 AM

I'm a bluegrass flat picker and I have a slight preference for D18 based guitars. I like the "piano like" bass strings and clear mids and fundementals. However, I like D28 based guitars almost as well. And, as you might guess, I have played some D28 based guitars that I like better than some D18 based guitars. But, generally, I slightly favor D18 based guitars.

OK, having said all the predictable stuff, I believe a great guitar is a great guitar regardless of brand or model. I own outstanding examples of both D18 and D28 based guitars. Usually, my D18 based, Prewar Guitars Model D is my go to gig guitar that I use in my bluegrass band. The Bourgeois AT Vintage D Brazilian is my go to solo guitar. It provides a little more bass which helps provide a more full sound to fill in behind vocals. I use it mostly for my solo church gigs. My loose analogy is the D18 is the Tele of the acoustic dread guitars while the D28 is the Strat. YMMV.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM

On the topic of the Assisted Living Gig, the evening supervisor told us afterwards we were the best entertainment the folks there had experienced in six months.
If you haven't done one of these recently or ever, please consider it. You will be bringing a great deal of joy to people who have very little.
Even a modicum of talent is sufficient.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Eastman E10 00 SS Sunburst
And a Copperburst Tele
Old 01-25-2019, 05:00 PM

what Jamie said! I was so inspired after our rousing rendition of Roly Poly that I threw him a curve and departed from our planned set by launching right into the intro for Rolling in My Sweet Baby's Arms. He's a champ and dove right in with me. That D-18 sounds just like Lester every time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion