The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 02:05 PM

For me, it is driven by curiosity, like gmel555 described. What do the different builders offer, how (or even do) the woods sound different? I can't know if I like 24.4" or 24.9" until I live with them for a while. What is it like working with 12-fret vs. 14-fret? How is it living with a vintage instrument in the house? Now that I've tried a few, GAS has died down for me. Have fun & make music! /jd
Old 01-26-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman62 View Post
What is this GAS you speak of ?
Yes..... Please , tell me more !
Old 01-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
So, probably done before but hey this is an Internet forum so here goes. Some questions for the faithful here to answer as they will:

1. What is the nature (or genesis if you will) of GAS in your view?
2. Again in your view, how much of GAS is directed at actual problems to be solved versus contrived problems (AKA excuses)?
3. Assuming GAS is inevitable or unavoidable, how are you dealing with it? Or are you?
4. Assuming GAS existed before the internet, have forums and such made it worse? Better? Push?
This is actually a very good question.

"the only difference between the men and the boys,
is the size of their shoes and the price of their toys". (Guy Clark).

I suspect that "GAS" is a baby boomer phenomenon.

Did guitarist accumulate guitars like we do now? I don't know of course, but I doubt it.

I worked my way up with a one in, one out progression, pretty much until about 1996, but it was a case of finding the next one which was really difficult - so there was an aspect of the hunt as well as the acquisition.

Prior to our (my) generation, I doubt that there was the choice back then and there probably wasn't the disposable income that my generation has been blessed/cursed with.

2. Speaking personally, yes, I'm very god at inventing problems best solved by another instrument.

3. My limits are the diminishing amount that I'm playing.. illness and old age are impinging on my teenage dreams (at 70).

4. Not sure about forums; I blame eBay and Google! (yup - it's not my fault - they made me do it!)

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion